Author Topic: Has anyone disassembled a Ducky One 2? I have a question.  (Read 7146 times)

Offline mattlach

Has anyone disassembled a Ducky One 2? I have a question.
« on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 19:58:16 »
How difficult is it to separate the bottom half of the case from everything else?

I actually really like the One 2, but I find it's very Asian design language and dual color tone clashes with my style.

I figured I could probably rub off the logo with some solvent, followed by using black Vinyl Dye on it to turn it black, so the whole thing is the same color.

...or maybe I could buy a white one and a black one, and swap the bottoms so they are one color.  (the white One 2 has a white top and a black bottom, and the black One 2 has a black top and a white bottom, but they look otherwise identical.)

Any thoughts?   I'd imagine separating the clamshells is fairly simple after undoing some screws, but I don't know what to expect next.  Are all the innards of the keyboard mounted to the inside of the bottom shell?  Are they easy to get out, so I am left with just the plastic shell, or does it require more involved surgery?

I'd appreciate any input!

IBM Beamspring > IBM Model F > IBM Model M > All Cherry MX, Alps and Topre > Rubber Dome & Scissor Switches.

Offline mattlach

Re: Has anyone disassembled a Ducky One 2? I have a question.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 16:01:27 »
Never mind.   Turns out they don't come with the switches I want, so I'm going to have to pass on these
IBM Beamspring > IBM Model F > IBM Model M > All Cherry MX, Alps and Topre > Rubber Dome & Scissor Switches.

Offline Synomenon

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 23:58:06 »
I have this question as well.

I realize this would void any warranty these keyboards have. I consider myself fairly technical, but not having these items in front of me, it's difficult to determine if it would be easy to swap parts between them. I'm in search for an all-white RGB TKL keyboard with removable USB-C connection. I see these two Ducky models:

Ducky One 2 RGB TKL (white bottom half)
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4284

Ducky One 2 White Case White LED TKL (white top "plate" and keycaps)
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3732

Would it be fairly simple to take the top "plate" and keycaps from the "One 2 White Case White LED TKL" and swap them with the black top plate and black keycaps of the "One 2 RGB TKL" ?

This would result in an all-black Ducky One 2 TKL w/ white LEDs and an all-white Ducky One 2 TKL w/ RGB LEDs.

Offline Synomenon

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 02:44:21 »
Well, I've gone ahead and ordered one of each since no one seems to know for sure.  The all white, white LED TKL with MX Black and the black RGB TKL with MX Nature White.

Offline mattlach

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 11:41:55 »
Well, I've gone ahead and ordered one of each since no one seems to know for sure.  The all white, white LED TKL with MX Black and the black RGB TKL with MX Nature White.

Cool.   I would have done this, but I didn't realize they didn't come with the switches I wanted when I started this post.

I wound up going with the first gen Ducky One instead.  Sharp looking board, reportedly similar in feel (most comparisons I can find suggest that the changes were mostly for appearance) and importantly a single tone color scheme.

Please let us know how it turns out!

Offline Synomenon

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 00:52:02 »
I sent a message to Mechanicalkeyboards.com (even chose "Technical  Questions" in the drop-down for email category) asking whether it was a  simple process to remove the top plate from both models so that they  could be swapped.

I guess the person that responded wasn't actually the technical one at mechanicalkeyboards.com...

This was the response:

"
From: MK Customer Support <support@mechanicalkeyboards.com>
Date: Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 8:36 AM
Subject: [Ticket ID: 16243] Swapping keyboard parts / cases b/w two like models?
To: xxxx

Dear Customer,

Due  to liability concerns, I cannot say for certain if this would work.  But, yes, this would definitely void the warranties for both keyboards.

Thank you,
xxxx
Mechanical Keyboards
support@mechanicalkeyboards.com

MechanicalKeyboards.com | 7107 Juniper Road - Fairview, TN 37062
"
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 January 2019, 00:57:04 by Synomenon »

Offline Peripheral Prophet

• Lets change the game
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 06:51:36 »
mechanicalkeyboards.com is selling a all black ducky shine 7, it would have the all black theme and its a pretty solid board.
Check out my live build streams on twitch and join my discord! https://discord.gg/QzeSQj2  https://www.twitch.tv/peripheral_installer

Offline Synomenon

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 09:34:02 »
mechanicalkeyboards.com is selling a all black ducky shine 7, it would have the all black theme and its a pretty solid board.

Ummm... What does that have to do with this topic?