Author Topic: Cheapest place to buy a Filco?  (Read 4718 times)

Offline samuel

Cheapest place to buy a Filco?
« on: Sat, 10 May 2008, 18:57:14 »
Hey all,

I've read through this forum and I've been convinced that the brown cherry Filco FKB104M/EB is the keyboard to grab.

Now my question is, where is the cheapest place to purchase it?

Thanks! :)

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 10 May 2008, 19:33:24 »
I'd say direct from Diatec.  They've given me the cheapest quote so far.  Someone here was selling one recently so you may be able to grab that instead.

Offline Korbin

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 10 May 2008, 20:21:16 »
It says on diatec's website that they don't ship outside of japan. I sent an order request to http://www.fdjp.com/ to try to get this board and they emailed me back today and said that item was sold out.
Keyboards: Nyquist, Ergodox, Levinson

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 10 May 2008, 20:37:21 »
They do ship outside of Japan, you just have to email Mr. Shikano via their contact email address.  They only don't ship outside Japan for online orders - you have to deal directly with them.

Offline djones

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 15 May 2008, 17:48:10 »
I ordred my hhkbproII from benippon and their service was excellent. They have the exact keyboard you're lloking for for $118, which I'll probably be getting from them once Iget my $600 economic stimulus check from the IRS. (Hey, they didn't mention *which* economy to stimulate, did they!? :-)

http://benippon.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=12735

Direct from diatech is 9400 yen but I don't know how much they'd charge for oversea shipping

http://www.diatec.co.jp/shop/det.php?prod_c=371

fdjp is way too expensive, they charge 30% commission on top of the domestic shipping from the retailer to fdjp and internation alshipping to you.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 15 May 2008, 18:55:04 »
I am emailing  S. Shikano at Diatec. The FKB104M/EB  is $86 with $45 for shipping. For a total of $131.
They want to do some kind of bank wire transfer which I need to pay for, haven't found out yet what that will run.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline Korbin

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 15 May 2008, 20:47:01 »
Quote from: djones;4671
I ordred my hhkbproII from benippon and their service was excellent. They have the exact keyboard you're lloking for for $118, which I'll probably be getting from them once Iget my $600 economic stimulus check from the IRS. (Hey, they didn't mention *which* economy to stimulate, did they!? :-)

http://benippon.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=12735

Direct from diatech is 9400 yen but I don't know how much they'd charge for oversea shipping

http://www.diatec.co.jp/shop/det.php?prod_c=371

fdjp is way too expensive, they charge 30% commission on top of the domestic shipping from the retailer to fdjp and internation alshipping to you.

Hey thanks for the link. I just ordered mine from there (benippon).... You guys rock!

Offline bigpook

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 15 May 2008, 21:07:34 »
I went to the benippon site, and priced out the Filco FKB104M/EB
Right now it is priced at $113.74, with shipping and the paypal charge the price comes to $177.65.

Are these close to the same numbers you are getting?

Offline zillidot

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 15 May 2008, 22:31:52 »
Quote from: djones;4671

I used a different shopping service, Crescent shop. Their commission rates are closer to 20%. When I did the numbers, it worked out to be about the same as benippon's markup.

But I think buying direct from the manufacturer is the way to go, if the bank wire transfer fees aren't too high.
My keyboards:
Realforce 87U (all 55g)
HHKB Pro 2 (black on black)
Filco Majestouch (n-key rollover, brown cherries)
Unicomp Customizer 101 (black with black keys)

Offline djones

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 15 May 2008, 23:18:28 »
Quote from: bigpook;4675
I went to the benippon site, and priced out the Filco FKB104M/EB
Right now it is priced at $113.74, with shipping and the paypal charge the price comes to $177.65.

Are these close to the same numbers you are getting?

why not just pay with a credit card? when i ordered my HHKB proII I only paid $20 for fully insured shipping & no other fees. And also, the prices are different on BeNippon because of the exchange rate. A good strategy might be to hope for, say, 110Yen/dollar... thouigh with the dollar going down the toilet it may go the other way :-P

Quote from: bigpook;4672
I am emailing  S. Shikano at Diatec. The FKB104M/EB  is $86 with $45 for shipping. For a total of $131.
They want to do some kind of bank wire transfer which I need to pay for, haven't found out yet what that will run.

international wires are $20 at least, sometimes much higher.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 17 May 2008, 20:58:41 »
I am at benippon now, the HHKB pro 2 with shipping to Florida is 27598 yen with a 4.5% credit card surcharge. They use paypal only, it seems.  

On the benippon web site,the yen conversion works out to $287.19. With the 4.5% surcharge I am at $300.11.

Man, that seems like a lot of money to lay down on a keyboard, needless to say my finger hovers over the submit button. I need help, lol.

Can someone talk me down?

All this is typed on a model m space saver that I absolutely love and have no reason to replace.....

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 17 May 2008, 21:23:44 »
That's still not a bad deal considering the HHKB Pro (v.1) is available from the PFU yahoo store (for US consumers) for $260 (BEFORE shipping).  

So, $30-35 more buys you the Pro 2 with the built-in USB hub.  I think it is worth it.  I use a USB Logitech Trackman Wheel and being able to plug it into my keyboard makes it just as portable as the HHKB Pro itself.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 17 May 2008, 21:39:01 »
Yeah, I can see where you are coming from. I am at crescent-shop and they sent me this link.
http://www.tokka.com/goods/search.aspx?keyword=PD-KB400&tree=&nam

Hit the orange button when/if you hit this link to see the keyboards.

The price works out to 206.74, am waiting to hear back from them on the shipping costs.

Offline Korbin

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 18 May 2008, 20:41:14 »
Quote from: bigpook;4718

Man, that seems like a lot of money to lay down on a keyboard, needless to say my finger hovers over the submit button. I need help, lol.

Can someone talk me down?

Don't fight it man... you can only resist for so long. You might as well given in and order it.