Author Topic: [GB] Minidox PCB and Case  (Read 16676 times)

Offline Dotdash32

[GB] Minidox PCB and Case
« on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 22:51:03 »
The Minidox Keyboard

Full Acrylic case

Double Plate case

PCB render (production will be green to reduce cost)

A small split tenting keyboard with 36 masterfully placed keys.  Designed by Channing173 on Reddit, this keyboard is just like the Ergodox, but trimmed down into a small but powerful package.  The thumb cluster has been redesigned to make the three keys very accessible.  Just enough alphanumeric keys to keep everything small, but the power of QMK for unlimited customizability.

This buy is somewhat odd, in that the PCB and Case have to be ordered separately.  I (Dotdash32) will be producing the keyboard cases, while That-Canadian (on Reddit) will be producing the PCBs and electronics.  We have started this buy on Reddit, so there is a lot of information there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/6e7yya/gb_minidox_pcb_group_buy_now_open/
Link to That-Canadian’s PCB GB post on Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/6e7kw9/gb_tiny_and_tenting_and_split_oh_my_minidox_case/
Link to Dotdash32’s Case post on Reddit

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfdqFEo87ecL6zANay7gS-xOdez1rvshunhbGHIorXTV_gVbA/viewform?c=0&w=1
PCB Order form

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc2qiihynoIfgdtDJfh-EzKXlC5p4ZC-hVt-dPQ9gTsIdf2xA/viewform
Case Order form

There is a lot of information on those links, and I don’t want to double post too much of it, so here are the highlights:

PCBs:
These are getting cheaper!  Current price per PCB: $3.75 Each.
You will need to order two (2) PCBs per whole keyboard.
Electronics
  • TRRS Jack (2 needed): $1.50 each
  • Reset Switch (2 needed): $0.75 each
  • Diodes (36 needed): $0.025 each
  • Pro Micros (2 needed): $5.00 each
  • Parts Kit (contains all the electronics, except PCBs, you need for a complete keyboard): $15.50
  • TRRS Cable, 3 ft (1 needed, not included in Parts Kit): $6.50 each
  • Micro USB Cable (1 needed, not included in Parts Kit): $6.00 each

Full Acrylic Cases
Everything you need for fully enclosed, high profile, MX/ALPS compatible, tenting split keyboard.  This is two halves, all the hardware, and even includes an Allen key! 
With this option, you only need to buy the electronics (PCB and Parts), switches, and caps to have a fully functional keyboard
$69.99

Double Plate Cases
The case on a budget, this only has a top plate and bottom plate, and is super light and ready to travel!  This is two halves, and the hardware you need for a keyboard.
This case does not support tenting, is floating key style, but is still MX/ALPS compatible.
$49.99

Plates
Buy just the aluminum plates.  MX/ALPS compatible.
$24.99

Switches
You can purchase Gateron or Matias switches to be shipped along with you keyboard.
$11.99

Caps
Can be shipped along with the keyboard.  Signature Plastics DSA or SA/DSA combo.  Subject to availability.
DSA: $31.99, SA/DSA: $59.99

Assembly
Purchase assembly to have your keyboard fully operation when it arrives at your doorstep! Please note this on both order forms.
$14.99

I think that covers everything, I will post updates here, probably in addition to reddit.

Offline stoic-lemon

Re: [GB] Minidox PCB and Case
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 00:21:47 »
This looks like a bunch of fun. Good luck with GB.

Offline Data

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 06:40:48 »
That Teensy location looks like it would be fun to solder.   :rolleyes:

Offline Sheepz

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 08:15:01 »
 such a Perfect layout!

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 10:43:48 »
That Teensy location looks like it would be fun to solder.   :rolleyes:

Could be worse I guess, first solder in the pins into the PCB, then the switches, and then the controller onto the pins. Still quite a bit of work and not too service friendly.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 15:22:12 »
The regular ergodox never really appealed to me, but, for some reason, this looks really fun.

With all the other GBs I'm in and want to be in, I may have to pass it up unfortunately.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline ricyuyc

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 20:40:44 »
I am interest in this, but the ordering form of PCB does not work.

Offline beekey

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 15:17:13 »
Damn, I really want one and the GB is over. :-(

Offline sennin32

• * Vendor
    • Doyu Studio
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 15:20:13 »
I have to reply this post cause your id contains 32 as well  :p

Offline Dotdash32

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 02:44:17 »
Long overdue update!

I'm going to make this quick, but it's been too long since I've been on this thread.

As it stands now, about 80% of the acrylic parts have been cut, 90% of the screws plastidipped, and plate production is speeding up.  Everything has been pretty much categorized, and is now sitting around my bed in assorted boxes.  My goal is to have the cases ship out by the end of July.

Some things that have slowed me down a bit:
Flame polishing - the laser cutter has recently been unable to cut through thick acrylic in just one pass.  This means it takes longer to cut the parts, but also that there is clouding on the sides when they come out.  I've been doing my research, and was able to use a MAPP gas torch to take care of the clouding.  It's a solution, just took some extra time to find.
Plate machining - I've been refining the process, and have so far just about halved the cycle time, and plate loss rate (mess up in the machining cycle makes the part unacceptable).  This took longer than expected because of some changed endmill behavior.   I did a bunch of prototypes before the GB started, and double sided tape worked great to hold everything down.  Now, the endmill will chipweld if they don't have coolant, but coolant causes tape to come undo.  This has been fixed with clamps, and has let me ramp up the chipload per tooth.

This is just a quick update on the cases, and to let you all know that it is coming along.  I can try to post some pictures in the morning of the assorted cut acrylic, some of it honestly looks pretty cool.  Know that things are moving along, and you all will get your cases this summer.

There will probably be a leftover/b-stock sale at the end, so if you weren't able to get in for the GB, there will be another shot.

There will also be a Double Plate Case at the Seattle Meetup!  I unfortunately can't go, but a case will travel with my spirit!

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 22 August 2017, 02:43:02 »
Long overdue update!

I'm going to make this quick, but it's been too long since I've been on this thread.

As it stands now, about 80% of the acrylic parts have been cut, 90% of the screws plastidipped, and plate production is speeding up.  Everything has been pretty much categorized, and is now sitting around my bed in assorted boxes.  My goal is to have the cases ship out by the end of July.

Some things that have slowed me down a bit:
Flame polishing - the laser cutter has recently been unable to cut through thick acrylic in just one pass.  This means it takes longer to cut the parts, but also that there is clouding on the sides when they come out.  I've been doing my research, and was able to use a MAPP gas torch to take care of the clouding.  It's a solution, just took some extra time to find.
Plate machining - I've been refining the process, and have so far just about halved the cycle time, and plate loss rate (mess up in the machining cycle makes the part unacceptable).  This took longer than expected because of some changed endmill behavior.   I did a bunch of prototypes before the GB started, and double sided tape worked great to hold everything down.  Now, the endmill will chipweld if they don't have coolant, but coolant causes tape to come undo.  This has been fixed with clamps, and has let me ramp up the chipload per tooth.

This is just a quick update on the cases, and to let you all know that it is coming along.  I can try to post some pictures in the morning of the assorted cut acrylic, some of it honestly looks pretty cool.  Know that things are moving along, and you all will get your cases this summer.

There will probably be a leftover/b-stock sale at the end, so if you weren't able to get in for the GB, there will be another shot.

There will also be a Double Plate Case at the Seattle Meetup!  I unfortunately can't go, but a case will travel with my spirit!

Any chance that there's leftovers or maybe another GB in the future?

Offline manolodeinternet

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 01:37:11 »
Hi !!!
I fell in love with the Minidox.
Are you going to repeat the GB in the future ???

Thanks, guys !!!