Author Topic: KAM_Superuser - a command-line inspired keyset [feedback - update 2]  (Read 41303 times)

Offline FreshFromTheGrave

IC IS LIVE

Hey everyone, I'm pleased to announce the first feedback round for my new keyset I'm calling "kam_superuser"! It's based on the idea of command-line terminals, sysadmin and server room consoles. Before moving onto a more formal IC stage I'd love to get your feedback, ideas and concerns on the design so far. At the moment everything is up for debate: colourways, legends and profile. I'm really keen to see this concept through to reality and make sure it's something the community wants as well.

First of all lets take a look at some renders (top 3 are recent updates):

The typeface is a monospace font that would look right at home in a CMD prompt or bash terminal. The legends are designed to look like commands being typed into a terminal behind a cursor.

Profile has now settled on KAT/KAM as Signature Plastics don't seem to do any reverse or all over dye subbing meaning we can't have light legends on dark caps.

I hope you all like it and your feedback on any aspect of this design is welcome and needed! This is the first set I'm designing to try and realise my vision of taking keysets away from simple colourway changes and into a more designed space leveraging the flexibility of dye subbing to tap into the potential of this blank canvas in front of me :D

*UPDATE 1*

Following feedback from you guys and from Reddit the following changes are being made:

Profile: DSA is out as this colourway is not possible with SP. It is now between KAT and KAM. KAM fits the aesthetic far better but so far KAT is proving more popular.

Legends: Drive letter alphas are out. Opinion is also split over the command prompt style mods. There will be an alternative set of mods for those who do not like these. They may be plain text or image based as a catch all.

Colour: Many of you did not like the original teal/mint colour. This has been shifted slightly into 353C green. This colour has less blue in it but is still a desaturated green.

Why am I not going full saturated green like GMK Terminal? While it may be more authentic, this type of green is generally not very appealing and becomes garish. By desaturating the green we get something that is visually pleasing and still gets the idea across. By brightening it in this way we also attempt to visually imitate emissive properties of monitors that we don't have in plastics. Examples of very saturated greens are below:

Layouts: As many layouts as are practically possible will be made! Folks have asked for Ergodox, ortho, colemak, dvorak layouts etc. I will be attempting to accommodate as many of you as I can.

*UPDATE 2*
Small update on a potential alternate set for those who dislike the >:\cmd_ style keys, inspired by terminal highlighting:

« Last Edit: Tue, 25 August 2020, 17:06:40 by FreshFromTheGrave »

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
Re: DSA_Superuser - a command-line inspired keyset [feedback]
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 11:12:51 »

Show Image

Mixing bash scripts syntax in the images with keycaps with drive letters (a drive mounting mechanism used by operating systems of old, and which only survives in Windows, and for not good reasons) strikes me as just plain wrong.

Unix FTW.

Offline Zilleon

Re: DSA/KAM_Superuser - a command-line inspired keyset [feedback]
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 14:33:03 »
I absolutely love the idea, please take my money :)

But I also didn't like the drive letters, I generally think that more could be explored in the legends, like what about things like "ls", "grep", "cd" and so on, could be really cool :)

Another thing that could be really awesome would be to explore color schemes like Atom One Dark which also bluish and has a very nice green to it as well, that could potentially go really well with a terminal/shell/command line set

And please consider Kat profile instead :)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Offline l33g

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 14:44:19 »
I agree with getting rid of the drive numbers. Do you plan to add numpad support?

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 14:44:44 »

Show Image

Mixing bash scripts syntax in the images with keycaps with drive letters (a drive mounting mechanism used by operating systems of old, and which only survives in Windows, and for not good reasons) strikes me as just plain wrong.

Unix FTW.

Kinda agree here, and imo "superuser" implies Unix

Offline PHYLO

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 14:59:01 »
honestly, love everything about this.

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 16:00:53 »
Thanks everyone! I've been getting some feedback on Reddit as well and some changes are coming:

• Drive letters are out - not one single person likes them!
  • The green has been adjusted slightly away from the mint/teal colour and more towards a monochrome CRT green. It's a subtle change as I don't want it to be a garish green - new renders coming probably tomorrow. I feel it won't be possible to please everyone on this so I've trusted my design instincts :) (I am a colourist after all!)
  • Colours now have proper Pantone matches as well: 353C green, 4280C dark grey, 7445C light grey.
  • There is split opinion on the mods - some dislike the command prompt styling and so there will be alternatives, either plain text or iconography based mods/novelties for those that don't like this.
  • DSA profile is out - It appears Signature Plastics can't/won't do reverse dye subbing or otherwise don't allow light legends on dark caps. KAT/KAM profile is probably the only way forward. My inclination is towards KAM for the intended aesthetic but KAT is proving more popular.
  • Folks want as much support for different kits as possible: Ergodox, ortho, colemak, dvorak etc. As many layouts as are practically possible will be made! Numpad has been done, just isn't shown in the renders yet.

Offline jkr442

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 16:15:21 »
  • DSA profile is out - It appears Signature Plastics can't/won't do reverse dye subbing or otherwise don't allow light legends on dark caps. KAT/KAM profile is probably the only way forward. My inclination is towards KAM for the intended aesthetic but KAT is proving more popular.

I’m a fan of KAM and would be keen on supporting this set in KAM profile. I think it’s less popular at the moment simply because there haven’t been that many sets in KAM yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline calvers70

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 16:24:43 »
Love the concept - also agree mixing bash and CMD doesn't feel great. Would prefer full Unix personally.

Also, the just pedantic point ever about the renders: in my mind I imagine power users using something like vim as opposed to sublime and nano
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 June 2020, 04:08:08 by calvers70 »

Offline dlavelle94

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 16:28:51 »
Love the concept

Offline Plopmk

• Plop Laboratories | Making atrocious keycap sets
    • plopmkd@gmail.com
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 17:38:09 »
I can finally feel like a hacker from an 80s action movie

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Offline jamster

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 20:49:17 »
I can understand the reasoning for all the :\ _ symbols, but having them appear repeatedly on adjacent keys makes them look highly redundant, and makes the board look cluttered. Just the choice of colours should get the idea across effectively enough for those with sufficient experience.

That said, with colours, the green is shifted significantly away from what the original greenscreens were (a much purer green, versus the almost aqua/blue of the text). Is this a deliberate aesthetic choice, as I guess the pure green might be a bit much.

Re: KAM_Superuser - a command-line inspired keyset [feedback - update 1]
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 12:40:47 »
Main post updated with the most common feedback and the new colours :) green is now 353C and the greys have also been given proper Pantone codes.

Offline croatoanlp

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 12:53:08 »
Good work! The overall design is quite appealing, I would love to see a fitting deskmat.

Offline geewiz

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 15:43:40 »
Unix FTW.

My PDP-11 runs both RSX-11 (with _double_ drive letters), Unix v7 and 2.11 BSD. What now?  :))

Offline geewiz

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 15:49:59 »
I've been a sysadmin for too long to not pick up this set, and I agree with jamster:

I can understand the reasoning for all the :\ _ symbols, but having them appear repeatedly on adjacent keys makes them look highly redundant, and makes the board look cluttered. Just the choice of colours should get the idea across effectively enough for those with sufficient experience.

Offline fireworm

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 16:49:36 »
Please, consider infinikey or KAT.

I like your colors. :)

Offline Sxander

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 09:10:37 »
Absolutely love this. Had something similar in mind myself but never got very far.

Dig the color scheme, would love to see a warm toned version (perhaps as a second run)!

Can't wait to see the novelties!

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 13 June 2020, 16:10:23 »
Unix FTW.

My PDP-11 runs both RSX-11 (with _double_ drive letters), Unix v7 and 2.11 BSD. What now?  :))

Now I have an envy attack, because you have a PDP-11.  :thumb:

Offline Lusio

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 13 June 2020, 18:10:00 »
Hey I think your keycaps look sick :thumb: you should make  a set for Vortex Core's layout. (double spacebar, small modifier keys, possibly the side printed alternate keys)
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/f69146792aedb7ccea48a441d73ce916

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 15:22:15 »
Hey folks, small update. Here is a possible alternate set for those who dislike the >:\cmd_ style keys, inspired by terminal highlighting:

Thoughts?

Offline geewiz

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 16:42:10 »
Hey folks, small update. Here is a possible alternate set for those who dislike the >:\cmd_ style keys, inspired by terminal highlighting:

Thoughts?

Yes! This one is going to be mine, provided the kitting is okay. I might even take ortho and HHKB sets.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 June 2020, 16:45:09 by geewiz »

Offline tectonicplate

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 21:47:00 »

Show Image

Show Image

Thoughts?

Yes, this is a solid creative direction. Excited to see where this goes. Also would love to see this stay as KAM and glossy. Too many folks give feedback that make sets like this more homogenous and reduce diversity in our community… please feel free to resist and stay true to a vision you feel good about, whatever that is.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 June 2020, 21:56:33 by tectonicplate »

Offline Pyk_

Re: KAM_Superuser - a command-line inspired keyset [feedback - update 2]
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 21:08:39 »
Drive letters are cute, but I’m glad you dropped them. The new green makes much more sense, and I agree that full saturation is a bad idea. I’m happy with KAM over DSA. I like the command line mods, but I’m on ortho so they probably wouldn’t fit very well, the selected text mods seem like a good alternative, though I would like to see them on ortho.

Offline calvers70

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 22:52:21 »

Show Image

Show Image

Thoughts?
I wonder how a solid block of colour after the text in the style of a terminal caret/cursor would look instead? I love this concept but I'm really not keen on the lack of horizontal padding but as Pyk_ said you l they may become difficult to fit all some mods if you make them even wider.

I'd love to see a few more novelty mods as well, maybe with references to common programs, e.g. cat, less

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 16:48:29 »
Thanks everyone! I am reading and taking in everything, I believe I now have enough to go on to begin working towards a proper IC. I know that it won't be possible to please everyone on every point, but I will be making an effort to make a reasonable amount of options available.

Intermediate to do list:
Figure out all the kits.
Make more (within reason) alternative mods - these will all form the novelties as I feel that icon based novelties don't really fit.
Branding and renders.

For now I leave you all with a quick little hero logo ;)

« Last Edit: Tue, 23 June 2020, 16:53:03 by FreshFromTheGrave »

Offline hellweaver666

• Make Andy Make
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 08:20:22 »
GET IN MY BELLY.

Seriously though... these are the caps I'm dreaming about. Make it so.

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 23:28:50 »
its like the KAM version of GMK Hammerhead. Which I really like. Not really KAM (would prefer KAT) but better than GMK :thumbsup:

Offline theolodger

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 05:38:10 »
Woah, amazing! One question, does that keyboard in the renders actually exist? Looks really nice with the keyset...

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 09:41:47 »
Very cool! Just a little inconsistent that only the mods get the text highlights? What about Del, Pg Up, Pg Dwn etc.

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 14:40:53 »
Very cool! Just a little inconsistent that only the mods get the text highlights? What about Del, Pg Up, Pg Dwn etc.

I think when I tested that, it looked a little messy (but I don't remember now). But this was mostly testing phase, right now I'm going through and designing it all 'for real' and trying to hammer out all the inconsistencies and little niggles :)

It's progressing! (slowly!)

Woah, amazing! One question, does that keyboard in the renders actually exist? Looks really nice with the keyset...

Yeah it's a Rama Koyu :) I doubt it comes in that colour though cos I just made that up.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 July 2020, 14:42:42 by FreshFromTheGrave »

Offline pebbles491

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 23:40:15 »
Awe man... I like the mint green way more. I wish that was the color way that you stuck with. :/

Is there a chance to offer different accent color options?

Offline whizzard

• whizzard got ur gizzard
    • LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 15:22:09 »
This is a great idea.  I have been waiting for something like this for a while.  I spend quite a bit of time in vscode and on the cli in linux so these keys would be right up my alley.  As far as the colors I think you are on the right track... the old school phosphorous green screen theme is cool looking and fun, but it isn't easy on the eyes.  These colors resemble a theme you would see in a modern text editor.

The font is looking good.  The only thing that throws me is the legends on the modifiers a little.  Probably just cause I changed mine long ago to a custom one.  There are a lot of variants of command line prompt and indicators you might want to play with.  This is of course because it can be so easily customized.  I like how it is now but try playing around with it or looking at old terminal screenshots and you might find something you like more.  I will put some off the top of my head below.  The highlighted option looks nice as well.  Good luck I hope this goes all the way I would definitely be in.  Keep it up!

enter key examples:

[execute:~]$

[~]$:execute_

[~]:>execute_

[execute]:>_

[~]$:enter

** edit: you can tell I like brackets :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 July 2020, 15:27:02 by whizzard »

Offline PantoneC

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 21:51:31 »
set looks good hoping more kits for split backspace and iso users, Would like to see support for tsangan bottom.
is the kam going to be matte or glossy?

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 06:53:11 »
set looks good hoping more kits for split backspace and iso users, Would like to see support for tsangan bottom.
is the kam going to be matte or glossy?

I'm going through all the kitting now and there will be quite a lot of support. I think I already have everything in there for Tsangan and HHKB. It's easier since it's a uniform profile :) Once it gets to IC if I have missed anything there will still be time to update and fill in any blanks.

I'm almost certainly going matte for these but I may hold a poll of some sorts to see what people really want. I feel like either could fit the theme. Everything I've been doing up to this point has been matte though.

Awe man... I like the mint green way more. I wish that was the color way that you stuck with. :/

Is there a chance to offer different accent color options?

To be fair 353C green is still really minty and is classified as a mint green, it's just less cyan now which admittedly didn't quite fit the theme :)

This is a great idea.  I have been waiting for something like this for a while.  I spend quite a bit of time in vscode and on the cli in linux so these keys would be right up my alley.  As far as the colors I think you are on the right track... the old school phosphorous green screen theme is cool looking and fun, but it isn't easy on the eyes.  These colors resemble a theme you would see in a modern text editor.

The font is looking good.  The only thing that throws me is the legends on the modifiers a little.  Probably just cause I changed mine long ago to a custom one.  There are a lot of variants of command line prompt and indicators you might want to play with.  This is of course because it can be so easily customized.  I like how it is now but try playing around with it or looking at old terminal screenshots and you might find something you like more.  I will put some off the top of my head below.  The highlighted option looks nice as well.  Good luck I hope this goes all the way I would definitely be in.  Keep it up!

enter key examples:

[execute:~]$

[~]$:execute_

[~]:>execute_

[execute]:>_

[~]$:enter

** edit: you can tell I like brackets :)

I actually really like those! What I might be able to do is do something like that for the novelties just for certain keys. What I'm finding is that it's difficult to keep a consistency amongst all the key sizes and so I'm tending to keep it a little simpler for main kits. The smaller keys at the moment just get a root prompt # so like #rm_ which is fitting really neatly in 1u and 1.25u keys. The bigger ones are currently >:/execute_ etc.

But something more complex like those really might be what I needed for novelties which I didn't think I was going to have initially :)

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 18 July 2020, 17:35:50 »
I've been spending a lot of time on the laborious process of kitting, but I'm done with first draft and wanted to start playing around with fun renders again:

This is the first render on actual KAM keycaps instead of DSA and the first with a bit of a setting to the environment instead of a boring sun/sky rig.

Offline calvers70

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 18 July 2020, 20:10:05 »
Wow, that's looking incredibly clean

Offline shallot

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 05:10:54 »
How'd you manage to design a set that is exactly what my goddamn terminal emulator colorscheme is set up like? Are you a mindreader? I'll be buying.

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 15:06:38 »
Personally I like the set option here [1] and am not interested in the overly decorated modifiers (i.e. >:/alt_).

Curious about the thinking beind the overly decorated keys - I do a lot of scripting in bash and am a linux user - what is this syntax:

>:/execute_

Does that represent the prompt ">:" and then a file at location "/execute_" that you're executing?

[1] https://i.imgur.com/FVJa6hh.png
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 16:22:57 »
How'd you manage to design a set that is exactly what my goddamn terminal emulator colorscheme is set up like? Are you a mindreader? I'll be buying.

Amazing! There was a guy on Reddit who did the opposite, made his terminal like the keyset in anticipation ;)

Personally I like the set option here [1] and am not interested in the overly decorated modifiers (i.e. >:/alt_).

Curious about the thinking beind the overly decorated keys - I do a lot of scripting in bash and am a linux user - what is this syntax:

>:/execute_

Does that represent the prompt ">:" and then a file at location "/execute_" that you're executing?

[1] https://i.imgur.com/FVJa6hh.png

The highlight mods are absolutely designed for those who don't like the prompt mods, that's also the reason they don't get as much fancy naming and just stick with the standard "tab" "capslock" etc. There's also options to exclude the accent colours on esc/space etc :)

For the prompt mods you're basically right. I appreciate it's not totally accurate and is just meant to be inspired by since there are so many different ways a terminal could look it's always going to be wrong for someone. But it's basically prompt ">:" location "/" (but without an actual directory cos that would take up far too much space) command "execute" and cursor "_". It's a balance between accuracy, what looks good and what fits on the keys :) Initially it wasn't meant to be exclusively Linux based and was meant to include Windows cmd as well, hence the original drive letter alphas, but it has since drifted more towards Linux.

Offline geewiz

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 17:29:35 »
But it's basically prompt ">:" location "/" (but without an actual directory cos that would take up far too much space) command "execute" and cursor "_". It's a balance between accuracy, what looks good and what fits on the keys :)

That's a valid compromise. The current implementation looks really strange to me, though, and I've been using Linux/Unix and other lesser-known operating systems for more than 30 years. Usually, the prompt after which you enter your command is clearly identified by a specific single character; the most common being >, $ and #. Optionally, is it preceded by information like the current working directory. MS-DOS had "C:\>" (the colon here is part of the disk drive name, not the prompt symbol), Linux/Unix has prompts like "[hostname] / >". That's why I'd recommend using the format "something > command_" simply for its recognition factor.

Offline calvers70

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 20:30:08 »
But it's basically prompt ">:" location "/" (but without an actual directory cos that would take up far too much space) command "execute" and cursor "_". It's a balance between accuracy, what looks good and what fits on the keys :)

That's a valid compromise. The current implementation looks really strange to me, though, and I've been using Linux/Unix and other lesser-known operating systems for more than 30 years. Usually, the prompt after which you enter your command is clearly identified by a specific single character; the most common being >, $ and #. Optionally, is it preceded by information like the current working directory. MS-DOS had "C:\>" (the colon here is part of the disk drive name, not the prompt symbol), Linux/Unix has prompts like "[hostname] / >". That's why I'd recommend using the format "something > command_" simply for its recognition factor.

Agree with this. The odd mod prefix remains the only bit I'm not personally keen on.

IMO a $ is much more universal and will make sense to a whole load more people.

Or if you want a directory ~ seems to make sense (the alias for a user's home directory)

I really appreciate the desire to cater to multiple prompt users, but I think that may have just caused the symbols to be a bit abstract/nonsensical.

We've already seen these designs head in a more Linux/Unix direction, I should imagine because those users tend to be more command line focused than Windows users. Even Windows users that have to do any kind of web server administration will likely have to work in a GNU/Linux command line environment at some point given that >75% of web servers are Linux. And that's not even to mention WSL

I think when balancing inclusivity of multiple OS/prompts with creating something that makes sense to most people, moving a bit closer to Linux/Unix isn't going to be too bad (I stand to be corrected)
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 July 2020, 20:33:09 by calvers70 »

Offline meniscus-

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 21:50:31 »
I think the idea and mood of the keyset communicates without the command line modifiers. They just look busy and too much. I think the spacebar should not have any legends.

Otherwise, I really love the set and will definitely be in the GB when it happens
Anything larger than a 65% is extraneous!

Offline geewiz

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 07:32:28 »
I really appreciate the desire to cater to multiple prompt users, but I think that may have just caused the symbols to be a bit abstract/nonsensical.

Spot on. I really don't want my keyboard look like one of these hacker movie set props where you think "Okay, the person who built this has never worked with a real computer/terminal/firewall/etc".

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 11:35:13 »
That is fair feedback guys, thank you! I'm definitely considering changing the prompt mods although I'm a little attached to the aesthetic of the current one. Bare in mind there will be the highlight mods and probably plain mods as well for those who take issue with the prompts but what do we think of these? One is similar to what Whizzard suggested above:

[~]# execute_
:/# execute_ (most similar to current execution - I do like the :/)
:~# execute_
[~]/>execute_ (geewhiz is this what you were suggesting?)

The space may have to go as it looks a bit odd on a keycap but we'll see. The su button should already be a special case without the # since it's a bit stupid to switch to root when are already root :P so it would be say :/$ su_

I'm unsure if any of the above are distro specific, something I'm keen to avoid as it'll just turn some people off because it's different from what they use.

1u keys would remain as is: #rm_
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 July 2020, 11:41:15 by FreshFromTheGrave »

Offline geewiz

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 12:08:31 »
[~]# execute_
:/# execute_ (most similar to current execution - I do like the :/)
:~# execute_
[~]/>execute_ (geewhiz is this what you were suggesting?)

I think they're all okay, just the colon seems superfluous. But hey, the symbol seems to have grown on you and you're the creator, so it's fully your call.  :)

The su button should already be a special case without the # since it's a bit stupid to switch to root when are already root :P so it would be say :/$ su_

Good catch!

I'm unsure if any of the above are distro specific, something I'm keen to avoid as it'll just turn some people off because it's different from what they use.

Since every shell on any distribution allows the user to customize the prompt any way they want, I'm not concerned about this. I don't care about the specific layout as long as it makes sense.

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 13:24:34 »
I think they're all okay, just the colon seems superfluous. But hey, the symbol seems to have grown on you and you're the creator, so it's fully your call.  :)

So after some testing the clear winners are:

[~]/>execute
and
[~/]>execute

If I'm understanding correctly the 2nd option should be more accurate. Cos you're taking away the hostname and user for space reasons, but you're working in some unspecified directory below the home directory and then the prompt. Whereas in the first one the / is part of the prompt and doesn't really do anything?

These sadly don't fit on anything smaller than 1.5u but it's workable.

Offline radam

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 16:19:47 »
~/ is the home directory. I suppose you could write it as just ~ also. That is usually used to display your current location. It's not really helpful to say you are in some unspecified place within your home folder. If you were in the "Documents" folder, the prompt would likely change to:

[~/Documents]>

A dollar sign is also used when communicating that something should, or has been, executed at the command line.

$ execute

You'll see that in a lot of instructions / tutorials online (see: https://brew.sh)
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 July 2020, 16:33:02 by radam »

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 02:29:20 »
Love the idea a lot.  I think you need to consider the shades of green a little more.  They need to be darker I think, more in line with early green screen displays.  Please also add UK or International ISO to make sure it keeps it's retro heritage. 
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 03:15:22 »
The basic design is awesome, I would hope for something more interesting with the F1-F12 keys though since they stick out like sore thumbs. If not some kind of novelties, then staying with the aesthetic maybe just \\f1 \\f2 etc in same font style as the mods