Author Topic: Infinity: A 60% Keyboard Designed by Haata now Available on Massdrop!  (Read 116393 times)

Offline jacobolus

Re: Infinity: A 60% Keyboard Designed by Haata now Available on Massdrop!
« Reply #150 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 14:16:06 »
This infinity keyboard is becoming a rip off. For me as a uk customer to get keycaps and the keyboard kit it would cost me $211 (£137), a poker 2 is only £75 from banggood.
Move the the US. Problem solved. (But seriously, international shipping is a pain in the ass.)
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 October 2014, 16:12:43 by jacobolus »

Offline Parak

« Reply #151 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 14:53:48 »
This infinity keyboard is becoming a rip off. For me as a uk customer to get keycaps and the keyboard kit it would cost me $211 (£137), a poker 2 is only £75 from banggood.

Poker 2 to Infinity is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison, so I'm not sure how one of them can be designated as a rip off with respect to the other.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #152 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 15:18:20 »
Poker 2 to Infinity is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison, so I'm not sure how one of them can be designated as a rip off with respect to the other.
He’s not saying the design was ripped off. He’s saying that shipping costs are a rip off. (Edit: apparently Parak is also talking about costs here.)

bigDave: the Poker is being produced in large numbers, as a standard product with mostly standard features. The Infinity keyboard is being produced in a tiny batch of dozens to perhaps a few hundred. It provides several unique features (Alps compatibility, arbitrary programmability, community-chosen layout, a bent metal open-bottom case vs. plate + plastic case), but if you don’t like or don’t plan to use those features and think a Poker II will suit your needs, get the Poker II, it’s a great keyboard!
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 October 2014, 16:12:13 by jacobolus »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #153 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 17:39:44 »
Aren't (some) Vortex keyboards based on Korean community designs?

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #154 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 18:11:59 »
Depending on the response SP sends me, would anyone be willing to buy another bottom row of the infinity set? I already have the granite set on the way and all I am missing is the 6u white PBT spacebar. I would obviously pay for the set and shipping. Thanks.

Edit: Looks like its not possible to get one spacebar on it's own
We can mold the 6 unit spacebar in PBT, unfortunately we don't have any in stock and we have a minimum order value of $100 for anything that needs to be manufactured - Melissa
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 October 2014, 18:42:47 by Smasher816 »

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
« Reply #155 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 19:05:36 »
FYI, standard plate is now available in the drop (and option of buying a case).
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #156 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 19:31:42 »
FYI, standard plate is now available in the drop (and option of buying a case).

Is it possible to change the order to that and is it cheaper (it should be)?  I had no desire to get the case, I just had no other option for Alps.

Offline OverKill

« Reply #157 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 19:40:32 »

Yes you can change your order. Andrew put a post in the discusson over on MD on how to do it.

edit: Here is what he says:

Infinity Keyboard Update Time!

We have had a ton of requests that we offer a flat plate option on this listing in addition to the Bent Metal Plate Case and I am pleased to announce that it is an option at checkout now. All orders default to the Bent Metal style, but if you've already joined the drop you can change your order at any time (up until the drop ends of course!).

We've also included options to add a TEX Aluminum Case at Checkout in Blue, Black, and Acrylic, as well as a Vortex Metal 60% Case.

If you already own one of these fine cases, feel free to select just the flat plate as an option by itself, but please don't select that option if you don't have a case. image
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 October 2014, 19:48:08 by OverKill »

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #158 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 19:49:24 »
argh!

I hate responsive vendors.   4 days left and now it's exactly what I want (less bluetooth) and no cash till the next cheque.

Amazing response in such a short time.

Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline JackMills

« Reply #159 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 03:07:18 »
Finally joined the buy, October will be a bad month for my account with spending almost $300 on keyboards.
I have chosen for the bent plate, because I like the design, maybe considering to paint it (have it painted). I finally made the decision to try out MX browns on it together with the hacker layout. Now I have several months to think about all the layers that I want.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #160 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 08:21:36 »
No price cut for plate instead of bent plate case, lame.

Offline mozaiq

« Reply #161 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 11:29:28 »
So you almost broke my reluctance to buy this keyboard. As of now, there is only one thing left holding me of: the right 1.75 shift key. It is not that I don't like the size itself, in fact I am wondering why this is not standard but 2.75. The problem is just, that I don't have a keycap that fits. I don't want black caps and I don't like the Infinity set on massdrop either, so these options are out already. The set I originally intended to use would be perfectly fine, but it does not come with a 1.75 shift key so now I am considering my options.
What I tried so far: Using a Caps Lock key instead. It fits, but it has the wrong row profile. This now means, that Return and Shift have almost the same height. I do not know yet, whether this will be an issue or not, but at least I am not completely comfortable with it. I also thought about WASD since they can ship everything, but their keys are ABS so they are out as well, I hate shiny keys. The last option would be to get a modifier set containing a matching shift key. One can get this set relatively cheap from banggood but the shift keys are green and OEM profile, while the keys I intend to use are Cherry profile. The mix in profile then would cause the same issue as taking the Caps Lock key. So I am really not satisfied here. The best option seems to be to take the Caps Lock key but I am wondering whether there are other solutions. What I am looking for: A matching shift key or maybe more in a set in gray, orange or maybe red. It has to be PBT and preferably Cherry profile. Any suggestions on this?

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #162 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 11:42:59 »
So you almost broke my reluctance to buy this keyboard. As of now, there is only one thing left holding me of: the right 1.75 shift key. It is not that I don't like the size itself, in fact I am wondering why this is not standard but 2.75. The problem is just, that I don't have a keycap that fits. I don't want black caps and I don't like the Infinity set on massdrop either, so these options are out already. The set I originally intended to use would be perfectly fine, but it does not come with a 1.75 shift key so now I am considering my options.
What I tried so far: Using a Caps Lock key instead. It fits, but it has the wrong row profile. This now means, that Return and Shift have almost the same height. I do not know yet, whether this will be an issue or not, but at least I am not completely comfortable with it. I also thought about WASD since they can ship everything, but their keys are ABS so they are out as well, I hate shiny keys. The last option would be to get a modifier set containing a matching shift key. One can get this set relatively cheap from banggood but the shift keys are green and OEM profile, while the keys I intend to use are Cherry profile. The mix in profile then would cause the same issue as taking the Caps Lock key. So I am really not satisfied here. The best option seems to be to take the Caps Lock key but I am wondering whether there are other solutions. What I am looking for: A matching shift key or maybe more in a set in gray, orange or maybe red. It has to be PBT and preferably Cherry profile. Any suggestions on this?

Signature plastics has 1.75x Row4 blank pbt in light gray (GRA) in their overstock right now. 

Not sure if it helps as it is a very light gray:

You could always dye it to a darker grey though. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #163 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 19:30:17 »
My thoughts exactly... 25% less steel used = profit margin higher?

Considering buying this just for the key layout (or I could just spend a bit more and get an HHKB)...
null

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #164 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 19:54:07 »
So you almost broke my reluctance to buy this keyboard. As of now, there is only one thing left holding me of: the right 1.75 shift key. [...] The set I originally intended to use would be perfectly fine, but it does not come with a 1.75 shift key so now I am considering my options. [...] the keys I intend to use are Cherry profile.
What set do you want to use? You can totally find Cherry doubleshots with a 1.75u shift key, if you ask around. If you need a Cherry dyesub that could get trickier, though I believe they still exist.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #165 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 19:59:19 »

Considering buying this just for the key layout (or I could just spend a bit more and get an HHKB)...

Less steel (I'd say probably closer to half as much) and less work since you don't have someone bending the plates and you don't have the additional steel on the inside of the legs that's welded/epoxied/bent into place.  The plate only option should drop the price more, but it doesn't.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #166 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 22:15:05 »
Less steel (I'd say probably closer to half as much) and less work since you don't have someone bending the plates and you don't have the additional steel on the inside of the legs that's welded/epoxied/bent into place.  The plate only option should drop the price more, but it doesn't.
How it breaks down cost-wise is going to depend a lot on how many get sold. Consider that every extra option/SKU requires an extra bit of sorting somewhere, and adds complexity. If like 50 people get the flat plate version, then MassDrop probably comes out a bit ahead there, but if only 10 people get that version, they’ll probably come out behind (relative to just shipping the same bent plate to everyone).

(I don’t have any precise idea how the costs break down, I’m just speculating.)

I imagine if they had a separate drop for just a flat plate version, and guarantee that 100+ people would get that version, they could probably offer it for a bit less than the bent plate version. (Though I wonder how much of their cost is in the steel vs. the cutting vs. the bending; my guess is that there’s less cost difference than you might imagine between the different plate styles.)
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 October 2014, 22:18:54 by jacobolus »

Offline cookiesowns

« Reply #167 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 01:00:00 »
Finally joined the buy, October will be a bad month for my account with spending almost $300 on keyboards.
I have chosen for the bent plate, because I like the design, maybe considering to paint it (have it painted). I finally made the decision to try out MX browns on it together with the hacker layout. Now I have several months to think about all the layers that I want.

October seems to suck for me too. I think I'm close to 3k on just geek hack + mass drop alone......, but it keeps me at bay, so really yolo is the only word I can think of.

I went with Clear, and green. Hacker layout, and one set with standard layout and the TEX Blue case. Looks pretty!

Also got two Poker II with clears on the way. I think the poker II buy is a good deal. Get awesome PBT caps + MX clears I can salvage while waiting for the other group buys to drop at my door.

Offline mozaiq

« Reply #168 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 06:17:45 »

Signature plastics has 1.75x Row4 blank pbt in light gray (GRA) in their overstock right now. 

Not sure if it helps as it is a very light gray:
Show Image

You could always dye it to a darker grey though.

Looks interesting, thanks for the link. I did not realize, that SP has so many leftovers to sell. I might actually join this drop.

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #169 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 06:43:44 »
Sticking with the bent case version since it reminds me of a GON skinny. I'm not a big MX fan so the price point works well enough to play around with it without having to drop huge $$$ on a GON
sell out and eat ass

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #170 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 08:23:32 »
I was seriously considering this, but after using a 1x backspace on my unitek as a person who makes plenty of mistakes, I don't know that I could deal with that a whole lot more :p
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #171 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 08:36:32 »
I was seriously considering this, but after using a 1x backspace on my unitek as a person who makes plenty of mistakes, I don't know that I could deal with that a whole lot more :p
Well, that's why the default backspace/delete is in the HHKB location, i.e. where the \ key normally resides.  It'd take a bit of getting used to but you'd probably find it's actually a better spot.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #172 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 08:41:20 »
Well, that's why the default backspace/delete is in the HHKB location, i.e. where the \ key normally resides.  It'd take a bit of getting used to but you'd probably find it's actually a better spot.
aaaand I'm an idiot who doesn't look carefully. Still, a little strange, but that would certainly be easier to adjust to
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Jixr

« Reply #173 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 12:47:15 »
If anyone is buying this and wants a silver tex case, I ordered from the previous MD buy, and would like a blue instead, if you wanna work out a trade, PM me.

Offline mozaiq

« Reply #174 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 16:16:52 »
Ok, you won guys, I'm in. #300. Although I have to admit, it feels really wrong to pay half the items price again for shipping. But hey, this board is really cool. I'm just unsure whether to grab some switches or not. I have to improve my soldering skills and getting some old boards to harvest switches and solder around seems a good idea.

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
« Reply #175 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 16:45:55 »
As an FYI to everyone. I do plan on adding firmware feature enhancements to the keyboard. I'm open to suggestions as long as I think it's reasonable to add.

Also, if you are running into strange issues for whatever reason. I want to know: https://github.com/kiibohd/controller/issues
Often times it has to do with your system/OS. Things like USB NKRO can be somewhat of a black art and there's no way I can test every single system permutation alone. As a bonus, any fixes that get added to this keyboard will be in all future keyboards we build as well :D
Kiibohd

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #176 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 15:30:58 »
God damnit. I couldn't let this go by.

HaaTa: I'm not tied to the HHKB backspace key location, right? I can remap that back to \ if I want?

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
« Reply #177 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 15:33:17 »
Yep, everything is re-mappable in hardware. No exceptions :D
Kiibohd

Offline SuperBobKing

« Reply #178 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 16:39:46 »
I got this with blues and a black tex case, and I'm going to get key caps from SP. I haven't completely decided on a color scheme yet, but I am thinking blue mods and grey alphas.

It's my first mechanical keyboard, and it took me months to decide what to get (mostly because every time I found one I liked it went out of stock right before I was able to get it). Now I'm glad the poker II went out of stock.

Also, because the holes are wider to accommodate matias switches, you can take apart the switches without desoldering. I don't know how much room there is but a picture from a massdrop employee is buried somewhere in the comments.

Offline geniekid

« Reply #179 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 08:58:32 »
People would bought this and plan on using Alps switches might be interested in Delta Blues keyset, currently in the interest check phase on PMK.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #180 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 09:05:15 »

Where you can get a HHKB "Pro" a "bit" over $100? Just curious.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #181 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 09:10:27 »

It's more like $150, if you include keycaps.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #182 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 09:32:10 »

Even in that case, if you really need new caps for it, the HHKB Pro is around $260, a difference that is over 100 bucks, i.e. +70% more to get the HHKB instead of the Infinity, that can hardly be called "a bit more". Don't you think?

Besides, the HHKB is non-programmable commercial Topre KB, while the Inifinity is an ALPS/Cherry DIY fully programmable kit. They are entirely different products.

I just did not get why the fellow GH compared them, they are not the same product, nor they were in the same price range.

Offline juyanith

« Reply #183 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 09:50:50 »
Yep, everything is re-mappable in hardware. No exceptions :D

Will we be able to do something like hold spacebar to change the layer but tap it to get space? This "hold for modifier" function would be my request if that feature isn't already available.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #184 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 10:12:27 »

Even in that case, if you really need new caps for it, the HHKB Pro is around $260, a difference that is over 100 bucks, i.e. +70% more to get the HHKB instead of the Infinity, that can hardly be called "a bit more". Don't you think?

Besides, the HHKB is non-programmable commercial Topre KB, while the Inifinity is an ALPS/Cherry DIY fully programmable kit. They are entirely different products.

I just did not get why the fellow GH compared them, they are not the same product, nor they were in the same price range.
Because of the "hacker" layout advertised by Massdrop?

Also, you're speaking from 'murrican perspective. The full Infinity kit would be pretty close to $200 or even more, if shipped to Europe; my rough estimate is $150 for the kit + about $30 shipping + about $30 import tax. That's why I decided not to join, and perhaps revive an AEKII and convert it to a compact layout and USB (much more DIY than just soldering switches BTW).

HHKB Pro is about $210 in Japan. I'm not familiar with available proxy services though.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #185 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 10:20:52 »
Taxes suck, I agree. Just for the records: Soldering switches and setting a layout are DIY, while unboxing a HHKB is not. Your other project is an entirely different beast, but it was not in the original post.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #186 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 10:48:23 »
Because of the "hacker" layout advertised by Massdrop?

Also, you're speaking from 'murrican perspective. The full Infinity kit would be pretty close to $200 or even more, if shipped to Europe; my rough estimate is $150 for the kit + about $30 shipping + about $30 import tax. That's why I decided not to join, and perhaps revive an AEKII and convert it to a compact layout and USB (much more DIY than just soldering switches BTW).

HHKB Pro is about $210 in Japan. I'm not familiar with available proxy services though.
From what I have seen, $200 is a pretty good deal for a used HHKB. I believe those japan proxy services charge enough to make shipping a HHKB out of the country not really worth it.

This drop was a no-brainer for me since I have bags of cherry and alps switches that I need to make use of. Cherry switches are easy to use/sell in projects and things, but alps switches (matias) are a lot harder to get rid of.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #187 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 10:48:25 »
Soldering switches isn't more DIY than Ikea furniture IMHO.

I'd obviously convert the HHKB to hasu's controller for more hacker cred, if I contemplated to get one. Some folks claimed the Japanese proxy to be a steal in some cases IIRC.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #188 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 11:19:08 »

Soldering switches isn't more DIY than Ikea furniture IMHO.

I'd obviously convert the HHKB to hasu's controller for more hacker cred, if I contemplated to get one. Some folks claimed the Japanese proxy to be a steal in some cases IIRC.
Can confirm. Paid 320 for my Type-S through whiterabbitexpress

Also EK has a sale on HHKBs going on right now
null

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #189 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 18:56:20 »
I really like this project. I've ordered one with the "Hacker" bottom row and Matias tactile/click switches; now I hope they will open another round so that I can order a second one with a standard bottom row.

Offline JackMills

« Reply #190 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 14:55:41 »
I decided, before the drop ended, to change the switches from MX browns to Matias Quiet switches. I am really looking forward to this. Trying out different layer layouts with AHK as much as possible, so stoked about having a fully programmable keyboard.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #191 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 07:59:18 »
I've been looking for sources of keycaps for Matias/Alps switches. It looks possible to harvest some nice dye-sub PBT or doubleshot ABS from vintage Alps-switch keyboards. However, I have been warned that it may be difficult to find keycaps for the stabilized modifier keys.

Offline JackMills

« Reply #192 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 10:13:15 »
I've been looking for sources of keycaps for Matias/Alps switches. It looks possible to harvest some nice dye-sub PBT or doubleshot ABS from vintage Alps-switch keyboards. However, I have been warned that it may be difficult to find keycaps for the stabilized modifier keys.
I've read your threads on DT and GH concerning this. I've seen Jacobulus bringing up this issue, but if I understand correctly this issue is for 3 keys only, two 2.25u and the spacebar.
I would like to have keys with another profile than DSA, but I don't know if I would harvest keys from an older keyboard. The main reason is that I will probably create my own layout other than the traditional qwerty layout. Harvesting old keys and then mixing them up would create a mess in the profile as key of different rows would end up on the same row.
Blank keys for Alps in another profile than DSA that would interest me alot.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #193 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 13:05:21 »
Blank keys for Alps in another profile than DSA that would interest me alot.
If blank black is okay, I recommend buying an Apple Extended Keyboard II and some dye.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #194 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 17:20:39 »
I'm thinking about getting this keyboard for the long run, mainly because I have the desire to add simple things like mac macros to my keyboard

I don't like the top right corner keys much, a backspace might have been better, but I'm thinking of replacing them with the "<"/">" arrow keys, and mapping "<" to backspace ">" to delete, which makes sense

I only use one of the 4 right bottom modifier keys on normal keyboards, so on this keyboard I might do something useful with them too

I will probably map the arrow keys to a modifier + P L :; "' - seems like an alternate WASD for the arrows, all in all, I'm not too excited about the key alternatives, more of the programming possibilities and the DIY aspect appeals to me

Why am I writing this? To ask you guys whether you enjoy your Infinity's - Should I just go ahead? (I'm not going to use the blank keys, but buy the blank keys for spares and use the SP ABS Dolch set instead - wherever possible)
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #195 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 17:26:38 »
I'm thinking about getting this keyboard for the long run, mainly because I have the desire to add simple things like mac macros to my keyboard

I don't like the top right corner keys much, a backspace might have been better, but I'm thinking of replacing them with the "<"/">" arrow keys, and mapping "<" to backspace ">" to delete, which makes sense

I only use one of the 4 right bottom modifier keys on normal keyboards, so on this keyboard I might do something useful with them too

I will probably map the arrow keys to a modifier + P L :; "' - seems like an alternate WASD for the arrows, all in all, I'm not too excited about the key alternatives, more of the programming possibilities and the DIY aspect appeals to me

Why am I writing this? To ask you guys whether you enjoy your Infinity's - Should I just go ahead? (I'm not going to use the blank keys, but buy the blank keys for spares and use the SP ABS Dolch set instead - wherever possible)

It is possible to order the kit without switches, and the caps are additional, thus, if you do not have use for them just do not buy them. You will have to option to source them anywhere else, even at your own stock.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #196 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 17:37:27 »
TBH I'm not a fan of the HHKB layout (the 1x keys above \ are a huge no-no for me), but I got an infinity both for the novelty of the bent metal plate and I wanted a completely programmable 60% cherry clear board. The programming method that HaaTa has come up with (the KLL) is actually really powerful.

I think I might have to put another one together tho, the lack of a proper backspace key is killin me.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #197 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 17:44:08 »
It is possible to order the kit without switches, and the caps are additional, thus, if you do not have use for them just do not buy them. You will have to option to source them anywhere else, even at your own stock.

I'm probably gonna have to buy them, as I'm not sure about the right shift, and it might also be a good idea to leave the 4 blank right modifiers as blank, and mainly because I have a thirst for PBT's

Not sure how SP ABS's compare to PBT's tho, hope the texture differences etc. won't throw me off too much, I guess I will soon see how they compare, really excited :)

Decided to get the TEX Alu case too, as the default case is cool, but not feasible because of the non-rubber contact points, I don't want to destroy my desk just yet

TBH I'm not a fan of the HHKB layout (the 1x keys above \ are a huge no-no for me), but I got an infinity both for the novelty of the bent metal plate and I wanted a completely programmable 60% cherry clear board. The programming method that HaaTa has come up with (the KLL) is actually really powerful.

I think I might have to put another one together tho, the lack of a proper backspace key is killin me.

backspace bothered me a lot too, but I got excited by the backspace + delete combination possibility, also if you put arrow keys there, they might also make good macro keys, like Home+End etc. I'm not sure about the order of the delete and the backspace tho, backspace + delete makes sense, yet probably delete+backspace is better reflex-wise, as the finger tends to click the edge of the keyboard for the backspace, so to sum up, yes the backspace issues is ...

EDIT: most probably mapping them both to backspace and adding a cmd+backspace=delete mapping would be saner, as delete isn't used that much
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 February 2015, 17:47:03 by KHAANNN »
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #198 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 18:17:43 »
I went with the first drop and got the Hacker layout with Matias Click switches. Yesterday, I signed up for the second drop. I was going to go full bore with a Tek case and PBT caps, but the case was too expensive for me just now and I've discovered that I don't like DSA profile. So, I'm going bare bones, but this time I'm opting for the Standard layout to improve chances of finding keycaps. At the time, I thought I wanted to use the Matias Quiet switches that I bought separately, but today I pulled out my V60s -- one with Matias Click and the other with Matias Quiet -- and did some testing. Turns out I type faster and more accurately on Matias Click. Looking forward to putting the boards together.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #199 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 18:30:01 »
I went with the first drop and got the Hacker layout with Matias Click switches. Yesterday, I signed up for the second drop. I was going to go full bore with a Tek case and PBT caps, but the case was too expensive for me just now and I've discovered that I don't like DSA profile. So, I'm going bare bones, but this time I'm opting for the Standard layout to improve chances of finding keycaps. At the time, I thought I wanted to use the Matias Quiet switches that I bought separately, but today I pulled out my V60s -- one with Matias Click and the other with Matias Quiet -- and did some testing. Turns out I type faster and more accurately on Matias Click. Looking forward to putting the boards together.

If keycaps were freely available, I would also get the Hacker layout, I almost ordered one with a Hacker layout, but then some sense sinked into me, 1.25's are good enough, looks better too, 1.25 1.25 1.25 - has an order to it

I just asked the same question on the MD discussions, yet I'm wondering when they ship this batch, hope It's not May as they advertise it to be