Author Topic: Is there any custom keycap size company out there?  (Read 4566 times)

Offline doomsk

Is there any custom keycap size company out there?
« on: Fri, 01 September 2023, 06:14:39 »
I was checking some custom keycaps, like fkcaps https://fkcaps.com (which are awesome btw!), but couldn't find actual custom sizes for the keycaps. I found out that usual 1u can measure about 19mm. In comparison, m1 mac is about 16mm, while a sakura keycap (MX cherry) I have is 12mm top and 17mm bottom. As my fingertips are small, I'd rather choose something in between a m1 mac and the sakura ones, but so far couldn't find those informations. Is that hard to have custom sizes or am I just not looking at the right places?
zustandssumme rules.

Offline Findecanor

Re: Is there any custom keycap size company out there?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 01 September 2023, 15:48:27 »
If you measure the M1 Mac's 1u keys from left edge to left edge, that should still be about 19 mm key pitch.
(But to do it more accurately, do measure multiple keys and divide)

Having the top of the keycap as narrow as 12 mm and not 16 reduces the risk of accidentally pressing multiple keys at once.
But there are still a bunch of keycap profiles that fit Cherry MX that are wider at the top, but the key pitch stays the same. "MDA" might be the most well known.

Offline doomsk

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 02 September 2023, 09:44:15 »
Thanks for your reply!

Although I'm interested in knowing whether there's a company that produces keycaps with different base sizes for individual keycaps.
zustandssumme rules.

Offline Gareth_SL

• ins:gareth_sl
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 03 September 2023, 21:27:52 »
i have connection to a new keycap studio who can do custom design.

Offline doomsk

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 06 September 2023, 04:27:35 »
I appreciate if you can share them with me @gareth_sl
zustandssumme rules.

Offline Gareth_SL

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 11 September 2023, 05:20:25 »
Hi doomsk, i asked them and they told me 2 things: 1.Even if they do make smaller keycaps for you, you will have to find a custom swichtes&keyboard to put them on. Any idea how to take care of this?
2.they can make customized size Artisan but that's only one cap. And they will need more specific requirements like which type of switches you want to use and all. They showed me their artisan parts in different sizes.

Offline doomsk

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 11 September 2023, 06:36:02 »
Hi Gareth, thank you for your response. Answering the questions:
1. I found this kailh choc mini switches with 13.5x14.5mm, which should be the ones I will use for the custom keycaps. Additionally, I plan to design my own PCB so fitting the key switches and keycaps on it shouldn't be a concern.

2. The keycap style should be simple, in fact, like a flat fkcaps' mbk choc-compatible keycap with custom symbols on it such as letters, numbers, punctuation symbols and some other font compatible symbols. Whether they can make the shinethrough symbols or not it's optional.
zustandssumme rules.

Offline Gareth_SL

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 12 September 2023, 03:39:04 »
Bad news, :( they only make cross axis , kailh choc mini switches are not compatible I think. other than that is ok. haven't asked about the price yet, but for a 100% layout they sell at about 40$. probably will charge more for customization.