Author Topic: HP 9109 - Help with rubber dome/mod suggestions  (Read 1713 times)

Offline 2ndRoad805

HP 9109 - Help with rubber dome/mod suggestions
« on: Sun, 31 March 2019, 23:26:10 »
I need help finding the right rubber dome or membrane keyboard. I know this is very subjective but maybe someone with similar feels can point me in the right direction. Recently, I came across an HP 9109 at work and I wanted to bring it home. I think it's a membrane keyboard, but the key presses felt nice and snappy. I love tactility, but I need a board that can use the many custom keysets that come out for GBs here and elsewhere. So I thought I'd try topre. They make mx-compatible "sliders" right?? I bought a Fullsize Topre Realforce RGB 45g Model: AEAX01. The feel was premium for sure, but something wasn't right. Presses seemed a little heavy and just slightly mushy to me. I think I like lighter switches and the snappier the better. I ended up selling it. Has anyone else tried that HP 9109?

A little more background:
Currently I have box royals unlubed (didnt care for the lubed feel) with SA profile caps. I also have a board with GSUS switches, 3203 lubed with DSA profile caps. I type the fastest on the DSA/GSUS board but I prefer the tactility of the alphas on the SA/box royal board. Something is off about the modifiers but I feel like that might be an issue with the SA profile caps being pressed at an angle.

With that said, I understand there are the R2 T1 KBDFans switches.... damn.. not anymore lol.. and the Zelios v2. However, zealios are costly and after touching a cheap membrane HP 9109 I wondered if I should focus more on different rubber dome feels. I see the mention of BKE Redux Ultra Light domes? Would that be a better direction for my interests than trying to fine tune what I like in a cherry-mx clone??

The hope is to narrow the search with the least damage to my wallet as possible. Please, any insight is always helpful. Thank you!
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 April 2019, 19:33:36 by 2ndRoad805 »