Author Topic: Looking for a 60%-70% keyboard for programming  (Read 1882 times)

Offline willc

Looking for a 60%-70% keyboard for programming
« on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 17:31:59 »
I'm looking for a smaller keyboard with (preferably) cherry mx blue switches, and am not sure what all is available these days since it has been awhile since I've looked. Macro functionality would be nice, but it isn't really necessary, especially given how quickly I am able to type.

I would like page up, page down, home, and end keys (if possible), and something substantial, be it full metal construction or weighted, with a raised keybed so that nothing accumulates underneath. I like pbt dye sublim keycaps, but I am fine with blank keycaps too.  I have a few RGB keyboards so backlighting isn't a big deal - I was considering the Ducky Miya Pro (kind of like the Panda version) but figured I would ask on here to see if anyone has any suggestions for other boards to consider before I go and drop $140 on one :-p

Thanks!

Offline lakiozoon

Re: Looking for a 60%-70% keyboard for programming
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 14:18:52 »
You can take a look at 65% keyboards, like TADA68.

You can buy it preassembled with variety of switches. You can also add an aluminum case but it increases the price significantly. I think there are 2 types of cases available, maybe more.
The board also comes with EnjoyPBT cherry profile thick PBT dyesub keycaps that are quite nice for stock caps. It has arrow keys and pageup\down, but home\end keys are reachable through function layer. The board can easily be programmed through the website, so you can play with the layout if you want (and add home\end keys on the primary layout if you find the spot ;D).
The board also has led backlight, but not rgb. It also has a standard keycap sizes, only right shift is 1.75 but that's pretty much standard nowadays.

Cheers!

Offline AbstraktDesignLab

Re: Looking for a 60%-70% keyboard for programming
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 15:44:53 »
I can safely say that a custom 60 isnt a bad idea, especially something with the HHKB Layout.