Author Topic: Cherry Mx low profile  (Read 3575 times)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
Cherry Mx low profile
« on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 20:15:55 »
Has anyone tried these out before? Are they compatible with regular keycaps or do they need special? where can i find them?

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
Re: Cherry Mx low profile
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 22:22:01 »
You need a PCB or whole keyboard that is specifically designed for them, as the pin placement is different.

The stem is the same as regular cherry, but you need shorter caps, as normal ones will be too tall for the switch to actuate.
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 23:29:14 »
Matt3o has reviewed the Cooler Master SK630 with Red switches.
He wrote that the MX keycaps he tested "worked just fine".

I have got a Cherry MXLP Speed Silver from a person who had attended a keyboard party in Germany where samples had been handed out. I have tested it with a multimeter, and a few different MX keycaps:
• Thin-walled keycaps actuate, with some margin, but the skirt will hit the plate when you bottom out.
• Thick-walled keycaps (ePBT, Cherry/GMK doubleshots etc.) actuate with some margin, but will bottom out against the switch's top housing because the switch does not become narrower near the top like Cherry MX.

BTW. A KiCAD footprint for DIY keyboards is available in Keebio's repo. One pin position is almost identical to that of Kailh Choc, so I'd suggest making a combined footprint. Kailh Choc are available now but we don't know when the MXLP will be.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 May 2019, 06:33:11 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 05:40:23 »
You need a PCB or whole keyboard that is specifically designed for them, as the pin placement is different.

The stem is the same as regular cherry, but you need shorter caps, as normal ones will be too tall for the switch to actuate.

Thanks

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 03:12:45 »
I wonder when will these low profile switches be available to DIY-er :/

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 20:36:21 »

Vortex showed off Poker 3 Ultra-Slim and a 75-key keyboard at Computex this week, with these switches.
Note that they the case wall is only as high as the PCB. Unlike Cherry MX keyboards with exposed switches, that's not just the part above the plate that's sticking up — because there is no plate: that is the whole switch exposed.
If Vortex had used a plate, if you'd switched to keycaps for Cherry MX, they would strike into the plate when you bottom out because of the their height, having been made for Cherry MX which has more key travel.
🍉

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 22:09:17 »

Vortex showed off Poker 3 Ultra-Slim and a 75-key keyboard at Computex this week, with these switches.
Note that they the case wall is only as high as the PCB. Unlike Cherry MX keyboards with exposed switches, that's not just the part above the plate that's sticking up — because there is no plate: that is the whole switch exposed.
If Vortex had used a plate, if you'd switched to keycaps for Cherry MX, they would strike into the plate when you bottom out because of the their height, having been made for Cherry MX which has more key travel.

Those are some pretty nice boards.  I'm impressed with the poker 4 for sure.  The DSA caps on those are interesting, too.  They don't look like the ones from aliexpress to me.