Author Topic: [IC] MC-76K "Fat Boy" - A compact keyboard for the modders among us.  (Read 27158 times)

Offline mustcode

Re: [IC] MC-76K "Fat Boy" - A compact keyboard for the modders among us.
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 21:26:38 »
Absolutely, I got tons of keycaps and switches I can test out. Let me know if you have a specific keycaps/switches you want me to test out.

Offline lush_bunny

• CLACK CLACK M**********R
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 21:57:32 »
I need to get a proper mic so that I can finally do a proper typing video that do this thing justice... In the meantime, enjoy my dirty desk  :p

Niiiice

Offline biothermal

• Art
« Reply #102 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 22:03:05 »
Absolutely, I got tons of keycaps and switches I can test out. Let me know if you have a specific keycaps/switches you want me to test out.

Well if you are offering...  :p I think I speak for at least a few people when I say I'd absolutely love to hear some GMK keycaps with linear switches. That's my easiest basis for comparison.

Offline mustcode

« Reply #103 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 05:18:28 »

Well if you are offering...  :p I think I speak for at least a few people when I say I'd absolutely love to hear some GMK keycaps with linear switches. That's my easiest basis for comparison.
You got it, I'll do a video for linear/gmk combo.

Offline mustcode

« Reply #104 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 11:08:11 »
Typing Video #1!  :D

Just finished setting up for recording with a somewhat "proper" equipment, i.e. not a phone camera. So, here's a typing test with the current build I got on this, T1 switches with my beloved SA Retro.
Next recording will be after I rebuild the board with a linear/GMK combo as requested  :thumb:

Offline rondg

« Reply #105 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 19:07:11 »

Just finished setting up for recording with a somewhat "proper" equipment, i.e. not a phone camera. So, here's a typing test with the current build I got on this, T1 switches with my beloved SA Retro.
Next recording will be after I rebuild the board with a linear/GMK combo as requested  :thumb:

Any chance for a build video?

Offline mustcode

« Reply #106 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 00:43:57 »
Hmm, I'll try to make one in the near future. I don't have a lot of equipment/skills to make good videos so I can't promise high quality videos (yet), but I can definitely try!

Offline jjj404001

« Reply #107 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 10:27:55 »
I really love the sounds and design, especially mechanism.

Cant wait for GB, but is there are daughter board available connected with cables?

this mechanism is very interesting <3 I like it but also little worried since it travels up and down but connected with part of PCBplane.

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #108 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 10:47:02 »
I wonder what wonderful sounds this thing will make with clickies...

Offline hottrout

« Reply #109 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 11:47:41 »
Great design method and work so far.  I love the mounting system and the dedication to perfection.  I might have to find some money for this beauty.
I started with a Sinclair human flesh keyboard in 1980 and it has never stopped.

Rig1 |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|RTX 2080Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Rig2 |i9-9900k@5GHz|16GB(3200)|STRIX1080Ti|EK Closed Water Loop|Z390-F|1TB 960 Pro|Dell AW3418DW
Rig3 |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1200Watt PSU

Offline mustcode

« Reply #110 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 10:13:21 »

Cant wait for GB, but is there are daughter board available connected with cables?

this mechanism is very interesting <3 I like it but also little worried since it travels up and down but connected with part of PCBplane.
Both the matrix PCB and controller PCB are most likely going to be very similar to the prototype here, so no cables, sorry... However, in the final version, there will be proper mounting for the PCB which will secure it better than what you see in the prototype here.  :)

Offline biothermal

• Art
« Reply #111 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 10:33:51 »

Seems proper enough to me! Really nice!

At some point pre-GB will you be demonstrating different top pieces? Ones besides the clear (what I'm assuming is acrylic) one that is on there now?

Offline mustcode

« Reply #112 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 11:07:47 »
So, the board is rebuilt with lubed vintage blacks, 60g TX springs, and is being sent over to a fellow of mine who offered to do a typing video with a much better recording gear, which should sounds pretty accurate to the real thing.

In the mean time, while it's not a build video yet. I managed to take some pictures while I was rebuilding it so show the building process a little bit more clearly.

First, you build the PCB/plate sandwich like any other customs. Then you attach the brackets with o-rings for cushions. You can use flat springs or other cushion material here as well, but I found these silicone o-rings do the jobs really well. At this point, these o-rings are the most likely candidates for what will be included in the final kit. Insert the pins keep everything together.
236171-0
236173-1

Next, place pins on the case as pictured and route the cable to the controller PCB. You can actually connect the cable later, but this is just how I do it.
236175-2

Next, connect the controller PCB to the matrix and place the sandwich into the case, take care to line-up the pins and everything should go in easily.
I'll admit that this part is a little fiddly, but I did it many times without too much trouble. One trick is to line up the pins on the bottom row first as the top row pins are exposed and are easier to line up.
Make sure that controller PCB and the cable properly in place and nothing is caught under anything, and all the pins should easily go though all the hols all the way to the top holes as pictured below:
236177-3
236179-4

Next, use something small to nudge the pins so that it went through the top hole as well:
236181-5
236183-6

And that's it!
236185-7

The final version will come with a proper aluminium, side-mount, top cover so that the whole thing is solid. Clear acrylic top cover is nice for prototype because I can see through it, but it's not strong enough to hold everything together securely, so you'll be getting an aluminium top as default.

Offline mustcode

« Reply #113 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 11:15:17 »

Seems proper enough to me! Really nice!

At some point pre-GB will you be demonstrating different top pieces? Ones besides the clear (what I'm assuming is acrylic) one that is on there now?

I do plan to get a laser-cut aluminium top just to see how it looks but I've been having a little difficulty finding a local shop that offer the same finish. The final top cover will be the side mount CNCed one though :)

Offline biothermal

• Art
« Reply #114 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 12:13:20 »
The final top cover will be the side mount CNCed one though :)

Oh boy I just keep getting more and more excited about this board  :eek:

This next build sounds like it's going to be really nice, can't wait to hear the sound test from your friend!

Offline ehagerty

« Reply #115 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 12:50:53 »
So, the board is rebuilt with lubed vintage blacks, 60g TX springs, and is being sent over to a fellow of mine who offered to do a typing video with a much better recording gear, which should sounds pretty accurate to the real thing.

In the mean time, while it's not a build video yet. I managed to take some pictures while I was rebuilding it so show the building process a little bit more clearly.

First, you build the PCB/plate sandwich like any other customs. Then you attach the brackets with o-rings for cushions. You can use flat springs or other cushion material here as well, but I found these silicone o-rings do the jobs really well. At this point, these o-rings are the most likely candidates for what will be included in the final kit. Insert the pins keep everything together.
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Next, place pins on the case as pictured and route the cable to the controller PCB. You can actually connect the cable later, but this is just how I do it.
(Attachment Link)

Next, connect the controller PCB to the matrix and place the sandwich into the case, take care to line-up the pins and everything should go in easily.
I'll admit that this part is a little fiddly, but I did it many times without too much trouble. One trick is to line up the pins on the bottom row first as the top row pins are exposed and are easier to line up.
Make sure that controller PCB and the cable properly in place and nothing is caught under anything, and all the pins should easily go though all the hols all the way to the top holes as pictured below:
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Next, use something small to nudge the pins so that it went through the top hole as well:
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

And that's it!
(Attachment Link)

The final version will come with a proper aluminium, side-mount, top cover so that the whole thing is solid. Clear acrylic top cover is nice for prototype because I can see through it, but it's not strong enough to hold everything together securely, so you'll be getting an aluminium top as default.

@mustcode UH MAH GHEERDD!  WHEN WILL YOU TAKE MY MONEY!!!

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #116 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 15:18:50 »
I must admit I like the clear top 👀

Offline mustcode

« Reply #117 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 02:39:08 »
Alright! Here are some proper sound check for you. Put your good speakers/headphones on and Enjoy!
And huge thanks to Mr. Pro who help me with this, he has been one of the most helpful people to everyone in the Thai Mech community for many years. His YouTube channels has a lot more typing videos so those are good comparison to other keyboards.

« Last Edit: Sat, 22 February 2020, 02:52:48 by mustcode »

Offline piercejenkins

« Reply #118 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 07:45:23 »
Just shut up and TAKE MY MONEY!!!

Offline jjj404001

« Reply #119 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:56:27 »

Both the matrix PCB and controller PCB are most likely going to be very similar to the prototype here, so no cables, sorry... However, in the final version, there will be proper mounting for the PCB which will secure it better than what you see in the prototype here.  :)

Oh,, I thought it connected via external port just like other keyboards. Then I don't have to worry about anything. Good job!. I really live that bezel design.