Author Topic: [IC] Small rotary-encoder-only board  (Read 2992 times)

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
[IC] Small rotary-encoder-only board
« on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 05:22:24 »
Keeping this sweet and simple for the time being so that this has room to be flexible in how I choose to pursue it.

https://imgur.com/a/9LnSZaP

This is a little nine-encoder project that you may have seen floating around, with a build album link included. This one is hand-wired to a ProMicro as a test piece running off QMK, and is using a printed case and knobs. My main goal right now is seeing if people are interested in a small, budget-oriented, encoder-only project board as just something nifty to have. I'd also like to hear suggestions to what you personally might want out of a little board like this

Offline riterdando

Re: [IC] Small rotary-encoder-only board
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 15:53:32 »
Interesting project. I would like to have a set of rotary encoders for various settings I use quit often.
If it ist not too expensive I will buy it.

Are the encoders just usable with rotating or can you press them?

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 17:54:43 »
Interesting project. I would like to have a set of rotary encoders for various settings I use quit often.
If it ist not too expensive I will buy it.

Are the encoders just usable with rotating or can you press them?

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

These here all have a pushbutton built into them. As I'm using them I've got them setup with commands for each direction, a push command, and a long push command, all via QMK.

Offline growler

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 22 March 2020, 05:53:36 »
Other than volume, and brightness, what do you use them for, just out of interest?
I can see for musoc/video production a specific use case, but am sure there are others that are more imaginary!

growler

Don't just stare at it ...

Offline eriatilox

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 22 March 2020, 06:06:16 »
Other than volume, and brightness, what do you use them for, just out of interest?
I can see for musoc/video production a specific use case, but am sure there are others that are more imaginary!

growler
I use them to switch between windows/tabs.

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 using Tapatalk

Offline x86ect

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 22 March 2020, 08:12:48 »
Yes!

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 18:40:54 »

growler

A little copy-paste here from where I previously talked about it:

"I'm just using AHK and [NirCmd](https://nircmd.nirsoft.net/) with a relatively simple script that's just running a nircmd function when it receives a keypress.

The "changeapp(or sys)volume commands are changing volume in 2.5% increments, muteapp(sys)volume is toggling mute on/off, and setapp(sys)volume sets volume to 50% for when I want to re-reference them. All the stated keypresses are "wrapped" inside a F24 keypress so that AHK can suppress the presses from being picked up by other running apps. This functionality is borrowed and adapted from Taran of LTT and his scripts at https://github.com/DonutCables/2nd-keyboard/tree/master/HASU_USB.

Eventually I'll be moving to using AHK's "hotstring" functionality and sending probably 20 character strings that will include info on what board, switch position, and layer the press was sent from in that identifying string. It's gonna be super overkill, but I'm trying to setup my personal use case to be able to handle expansion in the future to utilizing stuff like a ScrabblePad as a function board while not worrying about running out of easily accessible addressing for my function usage.

I know lots of people won't want to or can't work with AHK and another app, so that's the benefit of QMK giving as many options for assigning commands as you can work with."

Offline growler

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 19:13:41 »
Comprehensive, maybe that's the word I'd use!

Defo overkill for me, but am still intrigued, maybe I can think of something.

growler

Don't just stare at it ...