Author Topic: Ladies and Gentleman, the Absolem!  (Read 7446 times)

Offline mrzealot

• PhD in Googling stuff...
Ladies and Gentleman, the Absolem!
« on: Sat, 07 September 2019, 09:36:27 »

I built this. I also coded the firmware for it.
I even wrote a blog post (https://zealot.hu/absolem/) with lots of pictures about the whole process that you should definitely check out!
I worked really hard on this. Please like me now and give me internet points! Thank you! :)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Ladies and Gentleman, the Absolem!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 September 2019, 10:02:29 »
Full size standard to tiny Colemak - you must be mad!  It's great that you went all-in though.

That will look much better than a boring rectangular board on your desk even without considering the satisfaction of knowing you did it all yourself :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod
MX Brown 30g, HHKBish
Vortex OEM PBT
for See how the other half lives challenge!

Offline macroxue

• Darknight: DIY 60% Split Keyboard
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 07 September 2019, 13:06:32 »
A great build from scratch and an artistic one! I like your enthusiasm and your humor too.

To compensate for the small size, you effectively have four layers and many dual-role keys. I think sym layer in the right hand might give you some trouble. At a point, I tried three layers and gave up. It looks like I can only handle two.
[Darknight: DIY 60% Split Keyboard](https://github.com/macroxue/keyboard-diy)

Offline mrzealot

• PhD in Googling stuff...
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 07 September 2019, 17:00:30 »
@suicidal_orange: I'm mad indeed! :) And you're exactly right: knowing the full custom-ness of the board (even including the code that runs on is) makes it especially satisfying!

@macroxue: thanks, I tried to avoid a dry infodump, glad to hear it worked (at least for someone)... As for the layers, I'm still learning and adjusting, but so far I don't see any trouble with the keymap, only my lack of assimilation. The trick is that I feel strongly enough about the assumption that the keymap should be like this that when it's not working, I blame myself rather than the keymap and practice even more  ;)

Offline vvp

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 11:52:59 »
Nice job!

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 15:11:37 »
Let me recommend putting number-row keycaps on the top row. Theyíll be easier to reach.

Too bad a flat design like this doesnít support "tenting" the two sides. Otherwise, seems nice for a very minimal keyboard.