Author Topic: [IC] GMK High Castle | Inspired by The Man In The High Castle  (Read 4208 times)

Offline GarrettSucks

• Be notified about extras at vip.dixiemech.com
    • Dixie Mech
[IC] GMK High Castle | Inspired by The Man In The High Castle
« on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 14:19:34 »

UPDATE 2
I have decided to drop this project for now as the set just looks awkward without the fully fleshed out theme. I came into this IC having some information, but wanted more feedback from the general community before going any further. I got the feedback I needed to make this decision. Thank you to everyone who gave their opinions in a respectful way and helped educate me further. I have learned much from this process and sincerely apologize.

UPDATE #1 ALREADY
I have made the quick decision to remove all novelties from this set. It is abundantly clear that it was the wrong move. I thought the unique layout needed an inspiration for it to really make sense, but the inspiration went too far.
I apologize for my misstep.

G M H I G C A S T L E

As you may know from our keyboard named after Jack Bauer, from the show 24, we love television here at Dixie Mech.
One of our favorite shows from the past few years is The Man in the High Castle from Amazon. If you have not seen the show, see below.

The Man in the High Castle is an American alternate history television series depicting a parallel universe where the Axis powers win World War II.The series is based on Philip K. ****'s 1962 novel of the same name. In the parallel universe, Nazi Germany and the Empire of Japan have divided the United States into the Greater Nazi Reich in the east, with New York City as its regional capital, and the Japanese Pacific States to the west, with San Francisco as the capital. These territories are separated by a neutral zone that encompasses the Rocky Mountains. The series starts in 1962 and follows characters whose destinies intertwine when they come into contact with newsreels and home movies that show Germany and Japan losing the war. The title of the series refers to the mysterious figure believed to have created the footage.” – Wikipedia

FILL OUT THE GOOGLE FORM TO EXPRESS YOUR THOUGHTS AND TO KNOW WHEN THIS SET RUNS

C O L O L A Y O U T
I saw this as the perfect opportunity to have a nice stock color set that kind of went against the grain of the traditional color placements.

GMK color codes:
N9
RO2
2M

GMK High Castle is not a traditional set in the sense of color layout placement where all the mods are one color and all the alphas are another color.
This set is taking a different approach. The colors are representative of the way the United States territory was split in the show.

K I T S
I wanted to keep this as simple as possible.

M O R R E N D E R S

FILL OUT THE GOOGLE FORM TO EXPRESS YOUR THOUGHTS AND TO KNOW WHEN THIS SET RUNS

Deleted material has been collapsed for context
More
I saw this as the perfect opportunity to have a nice stock color set that kind of went against the grain of the traditional color placements. We’re fully aware of the unprecedented suffrage the authoritarian regimes of the 20th century have brought to entire continents. This set is purely based on the TV show and is not meant to glorify any form of dictatorship, hence why we deliberately chose to distance the novelties from those ideologies as much as possible while still being relevant to the show.

GMK High Castle is not a traditional set in the sense of color layout placement where all the mods are one color and all the alphas are another color. This set is taking a different approach. The colors are representative of the way the United States territory was split in the show. See the photo below for a visual as I explain.

The left side of the board represents the “Japanese Pacific States” territory with the Red on White caps.

The alphas represent the Neutral Zone with white on Gray caps. The right represents the “Greater Nazi Reich” with the white on red caps.

The white on red caps extend to the entire right of a full sized board because they had the majority of the US territory.

NOVELTIES
So obviously we didnt want to use the highly offensive symbol that Nazi Germany used in this set, so I searched for a symbol that was more commonly used and didn’t necessarily have any meaning of oppression or evil, but also has the strong, bold visual needed to represent the character that is the country in the show. We went with the Wolfsangel. See below for an explanation of the symbol.

“The Wolfsangel is an ancient runic symbol that was believed to be able to ward off wolves. Historically, it appeared in Germany in many places, ranging from guidestones on the sides of roads to heraldic use in the coats of arms of various towns; there is even a German city called Wolfsangel. Along with many other runic symbols, Nazi Germany appropriated the Wolfsangel.” – adl.org

The other symbol we used was a stylized Imperial Eagle or Reichsadler. This is a symbol that was used before and after Nazi Germany. See below for an explanation of the symbol.

“The eagle is a popular national symbol - present in the coat of arms of Ghana, Poland, Romania, Mexico, Nigeria and many other countries. It was also the emblem of the Roman emperor Charlemagne, and was used as a seal in Hellenistic Egypt. The United States of America chose a bald eagle as its emblem, although some American coins have shown the golden eagle.” – The Guardian

“During Nazi rule, a stylised eagle combined with the Nazi Hakenkreuz was made the national emblem (Hoheitszeichen) by order of Adolf Hitler in 1935. Despite its medieval origin, the term "Reichsadler" in common English understanding is mostly associated with this specific Nazi era version.” – Wikipedia

For the Japanese side, we went with the simple Red Circle on White for the Japanese flag. I believe this one is pretty straight forward.

The second one is the Rising Sun design which is used all over in the show to represent the Japanese Pacific States. This symbol is also used in PMK’s Otaku Keyset they are currently selling.

Finally we have the neutral zone Novelties.

We have a fun one that just adds a Z to the N key to make it says NZ (Neutral Zone).

Lastly, we have a film roll to represent the films in the show.

I know this is a sensitive subject. I have spent a lot of time to avoid the symbols used to represent evil people. I would please ask that you give your opinions respectfully and not dramatically, as i have really done my best to do this in a respectful way. I have stated this multiple times just to show that, yes, I am American who is far away from these places, but I am not blindly and recklessly going at this. I spoke to many people on both sides of the regions in question for insight on the thoughts of people in those areas.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 September 2019, 22:40:39 by GarrettSucks »
DISCORD: dixiemech#8008

Offline GarrettSucks

• Dixie Mech
Re: [IC] GMK High Castle | Inspired by The Man In The High Castle
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 14:19:50 »
Reserved.

Offline hughtrue

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 14:22:51 »
This one got my attention, I am a fan for the tv show, hope to see some german/Japanese alphas, oooof sounds like an expensive set already.

Offline Pluto19

• All who break the taboo will be eliminated.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 14:23:47 »
I've been meaning to give this show a watch and I really like how you're showing a ton of understanding and consideration about the show and set's theme. That being said, I'm a fan of this set.

Online Starston3

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 14:27:20 »
Thanks for the background on why this set is done and how it came to be, as well as asking for feedback from people from respected countries with history pertaining to said regimes depicted.

I also appreciate the symbols of those regimes are not part of the base kit. I’m in for the base kit as I enjoy the book and understand the concept.

Offline lolafineday

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 14:28:46 »
I don't watch the show but the idea of 2 sides different colors is cool.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Online aslanxdeft

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 14:30:13 »
The novelties are a big NONO imo.

Offline trg1234

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 14:30:25 »
Yikes

Offline MeisterGrinsepo

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 14:31:55 »
As a German myself I think the symbols used are spot on with the theme while dodging the controversy of my countries tragic history. I really enjoyed the show aswell, so I am looking forward to this set!

Offline Kingjunguhn

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 14:32:06 »
Dixie I want it. Gimme gimme

Online aslanxdeft

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 14:33:24 »
As a German myself I think the symbols used are spot on with the theme while dodging the controversy of my countries tragic history. I really enjoyed the show aswell, so I am looking forward to this set!
The wolfsangel was used by the SS so I don't really see how this would achieve the goal of "dodging the controversy".

Offline fcoury

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 14:33:56 »
Hey, I think the form link is messed up 😊

Offline GarrettSucks

• Dixie Mech
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 14:35:57 »
Hey, I think the form link is messed up 😊

Fixed! Thanks! Sorry everyone.

Offline Champalan

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 14:39:10 »
Yikes

Offline Jetstream

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 14:40:02 »
 :eek:

Offline MeisterGrinsepo

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 14:48:52 »
The wolfsangel was used by the SS so I don't really see how this would achieve the goal of "dodging the controversy".

Unfortunately the Nazis/SS defamed a lot of symbols. However the wolfsangel is still used in german coat of arms aswell as in forestry. So with the theme in mind its fine imo. Also keep in mind that this is an IC and Dixie is well aware of the boundaries :D

Online vicissitude

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 14:51:46 »
Love it.
Keep following.  :thumb: :thumb:

Offline duckboi

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 14:55:36 »
lets delete this one and try again
The m0ar empty you feel,  the m0ar space for Keycaps..
[https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=97203.0]

Offline syberghost

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 14:56:03 »
This seems like a beautiful implementation of a bad idea. It invites problems that this hobby doesn't need.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 September 2019, 15:22:55 by syberghost »

Online Emir

• Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 15:07:24 »
I like the creativity and that you're taking risks with the design(the color placement, not novelties)! Set isn't for me, but I hope to see more people step out of the set color placement and think outside of the box.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 September 2019, 15:29:41 by Emir »

Online Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 15:12:03 »
Dixie would you personally use this set with novelties in public? Like bring it to work on a daily driver?

:thumb:
Now i'm just interested if we can get the same colored mods on each side for the set.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 September 2019, 15:19:08 by Kokaloo »

Offline kwerdenker

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 15:13:19 »
Making something that glorifies Nazi rule (even if is based on an alternative history tv show / book) shouldn't be done. I think at least the novelties should be canned and redone without using symbols that while not banned are still very much associated with Nazi rule.

I might also suspect that GMK might not be too cool with the design of those caps. As a German company they will probably extra cautios in this.

Offline Krelbit

• Switchmod.net
    • Switchmod
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 15:16:55 »
I will go on record to say this, to anyone who may be thinking so.

Dixie is not a racist. He's a kind community member, and I'll stand to defend him to any idiots who may think he's some sort of racist.

However, there is some extremely bad judgement in the novelty kit of this set and I hope to see it removed or highly modified soon. It's pretty indefensible, imo. Some of the symbols in this set are directly linked to a lot of pain for a lot of people and countries. Tunnel visioning on the TV show inspiration led to some really questionable symbolage, and you can be sure that he is being talked to about this EVERYWHERE.

you'll get em next time roll tide

edit: novelties removed, good luck

Online spctr13

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 15:18:17 »
Making something that glorifies Nazi rule (even if is based on an alternative history tv show / book) shouldn't be done. I think at least the novelties should be canned and redone without using symbols that while not banned are still very much associated with Nazi rule.

I might also suspect that GMK might not be too cool with the design of those caps. As a German company they will probably extra cautios in this.
I too was wondering if GMK would be cool making this.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 15:29:32 »
Looks cool, I've been looking for a 1.5u red on white Super key :cool:

Offline mrkantz

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 16:11:30 »
I really dig this and would love to use it on a split board. Any chance at black/red/white split space kit?

Offline depletedvespene

• Mentula pro quicumque legerit.
    • Keyboard layouts for Windows.
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 16:20:53 »
(Atlantis ISO, blah blah)

I'll be straight and say flat out that I don't like this colourway. But... even if the color set were entirely replaced by something totally different, there's one more thing that bothers me:

The left mod color (white here) has much less of a presence than the right mod color (red), making the target keyboard look even more unbalanced than it already is... a problem that increases as you go from the 65% form factor up to full-size.
X

Offline homerowco

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 16:23:30 »

edit: without the eagle novelties gmk would probably do it. didn’t see the novelties were removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 September 2019, 16:42:04 by homerowco »

Offline tyson522

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 16:36:41 »

I'll be straight and say flat out that I don't like this colourway. But... even if the color set were entirely replaced by something totally different, there's one more thing that bothers me:

The left mod color (white here) has much less of a presence than the right mod color (red), making the target keyboard look even more unbalanced than it already is... a problem that increases as you go from the 65% form factor up to full-size.

I see you comment on almost all keyset ICs. Do you buy all these keysets? Why comment on the ones you don't like or don't plan on buying?

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 16:40:09 »

I see you comment on almost all keyset ICs. Do you buy all these keysets? Why comment on the ones you don't like or don't plan on buying?
I think it's okay since some of us genuinely don't/didn't know about the ISO stuff (I didn't for sure). He/she is just bringing awareness to it in case someone who uses ISO wants to pick up the kit.

Offline depletedvespene

• Mentula pro quicumque legerit.
    • Keyboard layouts for Windows.
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 16:49:22 »

This is a forum, where ideas are expressed, and sometimes... not all of them are in agreement. If we all were to comment only on the IC threads for keysets each of us liked, ICs would devolve into yes-men echo chambers and would become useless.

That said, when it comes to points of technical correctness (like ISO coverage or, say, the addition of a key needed for some new physical), subjectivity doesn't really come into play in the first place, so it's always a good thing to point a problem of this kind whether the set is Doom Metal Black or Hot Pink Barbie.
X

Online Vigrith

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 17:14:10 »
Always interesting to see how people react to things like this - I guess historical accuracy of events that happened (and by association imagery that came with it) should just be relegated into incognisance because bad **** went down. Can't even think about that sorta stuff else you run the risk of getting accused of glorifying horrific acts, let's just hold hands and sing kumbaya.

I suppose we'll just pretend every bad happening in history isn't real kinda like a lot of people do with the Armenian genocide; that's a lot better than having eagle depictions on little plastic covers for your keyboard.

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 17:22:00 »
Always interesting to see how people react to things like this - I guess historical accuracy of events that happened (and by association imagery that came with it) should just be relegated into incognisance because bad **** went down. Can't even think about that sorta stuff else you run the risk of getting accused of glorifying horrific acts, let's just hold hands and sing kumbaya.

I suppose we'll just pretend every bad happening in history isn't real kinda like a lot of people do with the Armenian genocide; that's a lot better than having eagle depictions on little plastic covers for your keyboard.

I think yours is a trite argument which is not applicable in this instance.

It is certainly critical not to forget or whitewash history and to (try and) learn from our mistakes through education. But putting it on keycaps icons serves no greater educational purpose other than to make it a trivial plaything and, for some extremists, to glorify it.

Offline MatthewPham

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 17:26:35 »
Show's good but I'm not a fan of the colourway still.

Just doesn't "mesh" well together imo but thats just me.

Online Vigrith

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 18:01:46 »

It is certainly critical not to forget or whitewash history and to (try and) learn from our mistakes through education. But putting it on keycaps icons serves no greater educational purpose other than to make it a trivial plaything and, for some extremists, to glorify it.

I disagree with that entirely, I don't think having a swastika on a keycap necessarily trivialises the negative impact of the Nazi regime and I'm not sure how that even came across as trite as opposed to the inverse argument that's been voiced 10 times in this thread alone. Calling it overused instead of just continuing with the response kinda just comes across as patronizing dismissal with no substance.

I just think it's silly (and in certain cases hypocritical) people going up in arms about a symbol they likely know nothing about except that it was used by the SS. Tame Nazi themed novelties here for a set that clearly has no ill intent behind it are an "indefensible yikes" and Bob down the street who is genuinely interested in the subject(s) is shunned for having the Yuri hammer and sickle novelty on their board (which people also complained about at the time) but then **** like people idolising lolita-like animated characters and having them in overly sexualised poses and clothes as their wallpaper, phone cover or God forbid, desk mat, is perfectly fine.

Either way it's highly unlikely GMK would've been okay with having them produced, for good reason, regardless of how the community feels about them.

Offline Sigil

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 18:34:24 »

Nazi symbolism is not just some historical relic, it's used by and associated with ideologies that are still very active today (resurgent, even). If you've never encountered Neo-Nazis or White Supremacists, then you should consider yourself fortunate, because they're very real.

Offline Capsy

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 19:00:25 »

Nice.

Offline Owl

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 19:08:42 »

I disagree with that entirely, I don't think having a swastika on a keycap necessarily trivialises the negative impact of the Nazi regime and I'm not sure how that even came across as trite as opposed to the inverse argument that's been voiced 10 times in this thread alone. Calling it overused instead of just continuing with the response kinda just comes across as patronizing dismissal with no substance.

I just think it's silly (and in certain cases hypocritical) people going up in arms about a symbol they likely know nothing about except that it was used by the SS. Tame Nazi themed novelties here for a set that clearly has no ill intent behind it are an "indefensible yikes" and Bob down the street who is genuinely interested in the subject(s) is shunned for having the Yuri hammer and sickle novelty on their board (which people also complained about at the time) but then **** like people idolising lolita-like animated characters and having them in overly sexualised poses and clothes as their wallpaper, phone cover or God forbid, desk mat, is perfectly fine.

Either way it's highly unlikely GMK would've been okay with having them produced, for good reason, regardless of how the community feels about them.

I pretty much agree with you Virgoth. I think the reaction to these symbols on this set was pretty immature. Obviously the Nazi symbolism carries with it a great historical burden but I do not believe that banishing it from reality does anything to fix what has happened or what is currently happening in today's world.

This is clearly a set designed around a theme and those symbols are being used to portray a story and nothing more. The novelties were done in taste and used responsibly to depict the representation of the two colors (powers) that are the very inspiration for the set. Conceptually, it was logical and mature. And as Virgoth pointed out, it's pretty ironic that it gained so much criticism from a community highly populated by weebs who sexualize little cartoon girls. GMK Rocket had softcore porn for a deskmat and that was somehow more welcome than a theme around a show that draws inspiration from a historical event lol.

Offline Sigil

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 19:36:48 »
GMK Rocket had softcore porn for a deskmat and that was somehow more welcome than a theme around a show that draws inspiration from a historical event lol.

Hmm, maybe it's because softcore porn isn't associated with an ideology responsible for the murder of millions of people?

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Custom Keyboard Designer
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 20:43:07 »
GMK Rocket had softcore porn for a deskmat and that was somehow more welcome than a theme around a show that draws inspiration from a historical event lol.

Hmm, maybe it's because softcore porn isn't associated with an ideology responsible for the murder of millions of people?

You mean like this?

This symbol which represents an ideology responsible for the deaths of millions was put on keycaps and no one gave a ****.

But Nazis are bad, m'kay...

Offline trg1234

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 20:48:53 »
How about we stop justifying bad stuff with bad stuff?

Offline Sigil

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 20:57:34 »

You mean like this?

Show Image

This symbol which represents an ideology responsible for the deaths of millions was put on keycaps and no one gave a ****.

But Nazis are bad, m'kay...

That's whataboutism. If you want to discuss the legacy of Stalinism, that's cool, but I wasn't talking about that. I was calling out the comparison of porn to Nazi symbolism.

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 21:08:22 »
Can we PLEASE stop talking about this? Dixie has already fixed the mistake.

How about we get back to talking about the keycaps?

Offline GarrettSucks

• Dixie Mech
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 22:18:37 »

Just to make sure this is clear. There was no swastika in the novelties.