Author Topic: [IC] Staggered (slanted) 4x10 keyboard  (Read 4937 times)

Offline pabile

• pabile online
[IC] Staggered (slanted) 4x10 keyboard
« on: Fri, 01 November 2019, 00:18:43 »
this layout seems to will work fine to be used as my daily driver. i though some people might find it nice and useful as well so i decided to post here. my current issue is that i wanted a PCB rather than handwired (as that kit in photo). i am currently trying to learn making a pcb for this kit and may take a while before i can finish one. so, if there is anyone that is willing to offer their pcb design services, please let me know for this will make this kit released sooner (i am willing to pay for your services).

my goal is to be below usd40 per kit. i supplier could not give me their best price without a confirmed quantity. i hope that your inputs can help with that.

229201-0

229203-1

229205-2

for those who cant post here for some reason, id appreciate if you can let me know of your through this link  https://forms.gle/zm4m2P7fwJVCWdV87

Offline vosechu

Re: [IC] Staggered (slanted) 4x10 keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 01 November 2019, 11:11:34 »
Fwiw, I learned a ton looking at the atreus62 kicad files on github, and then I moved on to the voyager series by ai03. Voyager is undeniably better, but it’s also much, much more complicated.

When you’re ready for design review, come chat with us in #pcb-design on ai03’s discord (sorry, apparently mobile discord doesn’t have links or I would post them!)

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 01 November 2019, 11:20:35 »
I'll be in for a few if you can get that price <= 40USD :)

Offline pabile

• pabile online
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 01 November 2019, 22:22:33 »
I'll be in for a few if you can get that price <= 40USD :)

nice!

Fwiw, I learned a ton looking at the atreus62 kicad files on github, and then I moved on to the voyager series by ai03. Voyager is undeniably better, but it’s also much, much more complicated.

When you’re ready for design review, come chat with us in #pcb-design on ai03’s discord (sorry, apparently mobile discord doesn’t have links or I would post them!)

thanks for the tip. will check atreus' files. i do not have discord but will make one and join if everything else fails

Offline digid3ar

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 02 November 2019, 00:18:07 »
count me in  :thumb:

Offline pabile

• pabile online
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 02 November 2019, 09:33:46 »

Offline pabile

• pabile online
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 05 November 2019, 05:53:07 »
i think we now have a pcb. just headed to living pcb design thread for inputs. i'll have this manufactured if feedback went well.
i am not liking the pro micro's location but have no other choice. inputs are welcome.

Offline pabile

• pabile online
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 07:40:11 »
i was not able to get response from the living pcb design thread so i pushed to have the pcb design sent to jlc anyways... a week after, the pcb arrives. everything looks to be in order except for the positioning of the pro micro. i should have placed it lined to the edge to get the orientation i wanted it to have. revisions and some updates are on its way.

as you can see on the attached photo, i proceed to build it and is currently typing on one. feels so solid with the stainless steel plate. 

'til next update.

Offline pabile

• pabile online
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 10:33:25 »
i got the layout i wanted but did not get much feedback. so.... i will no longer push development of this design and will just offer the remaining prototype pcb to local enthusiasts ...at least to make up for the time and money i spent.

anyhow... i think that there are still others that wish to try this layout. with this in mind, i posted my design files here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3986945 you may use to case to had wire your switches.

some other references here https://pabileonline.blogspot.com/search/label/pabile40

i hope some of you will find this useful. cheers, gh!

Offline jonowarren94

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 20 November 2019, 14:32:36 »
I actually really like this.

1 thing that I would change (and you're gonna kill me for pointing it out), it would be much nicer for the cable to come out the other side so it doesn't interfere with a mouse.

Offline pabile

• pabile online
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 20 November 2019, 19:56:35 »
I actually really like this.

1 thing that I would change (and you're gonna kill me for pointing it out), it would be much nicer for the cable to come out the other side so it doesn't interfere with a mouse.

thanks! 
well.... when i was working on the pcb design, i was staring on it for a very long period of time. i too thought of the cable interfering with the mouse. after 15 long minutes have passed, i realized that you can easily rotate the keyboard to have the cable be on the other side  :p   

Offline .rgaindwal

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 20 November 2019, 22:03:40 »
Have you checked out Zlant? I believe what you made is exactly what it was. Checkout thir pcb

Offline pabile

• pabile online
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 00:38:48 »
Have you checked out Zlant? I believe what you made is exactly what it was. Checkout thir pcb

zlant has 48 keys (4x12) while this has only 40 keys
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 March 2020, 18:35:32 by pabile »