Author Topic: [IC] DSA Japan Basics  (Read 4704 times)

Offline 2Moons

[IC] DSA Japan Basics
« on: Sat, 02 November 2019, 19:52:44 »
Hello Geekhack,

This is my first attempt at a keycap set. I call it Japan Basics.

230162-0

Design and Inspiration
This idea started after seeing the designs of GMK Laser, GMK Bento, and others. When I saw those layouts, I noticed that they were missing keys that would work on a Japanese keyboard. I live and work in Japan, as such, I use a Japanese style keyboard every day. As an enthusiast, how nice would it be to create a basic set to enjoy at work or at home. Not just for looks, this basic set will allow people from Japan and around the world to make functional Japanese keyboards. In addition, I think a Japanese design in SA or DSA might be new and interesting for the community.

I present to you the latest layouts of Japan Basics:

Base Kit
3U and 4U spacebar for 60 and 66 percent layouts. With or without Hiragana, you decide.

230164-1

Western Addon
This is an ANSI addon for standard layouts.

230166-2

Numpad Addon
Standard Numpad.

Group Buy/Vendors
Japan:
US:
EU:
Oceania:

Renders Go Here

IC Google Form Goes Here

Current and Next Steps
1. Emailed Renders to Signature Plastics
2. Received Quote
3. 3U and 4U spacebar unavailable in SA but available in DSA
4. Waiting for Quote

1. Get final quote
2. Talk to vendors
3. More renders
4. IC Google Form
5. Adjust Final Fonts
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 November 2019, 06:28:35 by 2Moons »

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
Re: [IC] JIS Layout
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 02 November 2019, 20:53:50 »
I like the top layout, what size are the spacebars though?

Offline 2Moons

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 02 November 2019, 21:09:41 »

The top spacebar is 4.5U and on the bottom is a standard JIS 4U. The 4U should fit 66% PCB's such as the Clueboard (which will accommodate a full JIS layout). The other 2 spacebars are 2x 1.5U keys for Japanese split keyboards which was requested by the Japanese community. I would also like to add a few more options such as a 3U for minila layout PCBs.

Offline equalunique

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 03 November 2019, 09:19:41 »

The top spacebar is 4.5U and on the bottom is a standard JIS 4U. The 4U should fit 66% PCB's such as the Clueboard (which will accommodate a full JIS layout). The other 2 spacebars are 2x 1.5U keys for Japanese split keyboards which was requested by the Japanese community. I would also like to add a few more options such as a 3U for minila layout PCBs.

Had no idea there were so many space bar sizes for JIS.

The Filco Majestouch JIS keyboards are an example of ones using the 4.5U spacebar.

Signature Plastics has a 4.5U mold for their SA keycaps. I know because I have an old JIS set by SP that was made for Filco. It's 2-2-3-3-3-3 profile. Unfortunately, it only has English characters. (sorry, non-JIS version shown)

Also noteworthy is the SA Laser Cyberdeck kit. This tooling was recently created by SP.

The new tooling for SA Laser Cyberdeck kit + SA 4.5U space could be a starting point for a purely-JIS focused set, if you're interested in JIS & SA.

Offline 2Moons

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 03 November 2019, 17:21:15 »

Had no idea there were so many space bar sizes for JIS.

The Filco Majestouch JIS keyboards are an example of ones using the 4.5U spacebar.
Show Image

Signature Plastics has a 4.5U mold for their SA keycaps. I know because I have an old JIS set by SP that was made for Filco. It's 2-2-3-3-3-3 profile. Unfortunately, it only has English characters. (sorry, non-JIS version shown)
Show Image

Also noteworthy is the SA Laser Cyberdeck kit. This tooling was recently created by SP.
Show Image

The new tooling for SA Laser Cyberdeck kit + SA 4.5U space could be a starting point for a purely-JIS focused set, if you're interested in JIS & SA.

My design is based from the Majestouch JIS directly. I've updated the renders to show the different layouts more clearly. I'll be working this week on better renders. The layouts are in the following order:

Normal
66%
Minila
Split
Mac

Thanks, I'll look more closely at the SA Laser when I contact them.

Offline PlastikSchnittstelle

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 03 November 2019, 18:14:36 »
I like small spacebars, they enable a lot more possibilities for 60% layouts.
also "boring beige" on SA is something I haven't seen jet - though I don't think it's boring at all of course.
if this makes it to GB, I'm in.

Offline 2Moons

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 November 2019, 06:33:17 »
I like small spacebars, they enable a lot more possibilities for 60% layouts.
also "boring beige" on SA is something I haven't seen jet - though I don't think it's boring at all of course.
if this makes it to GB, I'm in.

I'm sorry I was unable to do SA. Signature plastics doesn't have the 3U or 4U tooling for those in SA. It seems we may have to do DSA. Thank you for your interest. I've updated the IC.