Author Topic: [IC] Glow Kits - 1984 Keyboardbelle Clear Case w/ DZ60 PCB, Plate, Etc  (Read 5734 times)

Offline keyboardbelle

Customer build photo:

Imgur gif: https://imgur.com/OoR4hea (idk how to embed this)

$119 Glow Kit would include:

• 1984 Keyboardbelle 3D Printed Clear Case
  • DZ60 PCB (USB-C)
  • Cherry Stabilizers for standard 60% Layout
  • Silver Aluminum Plate
  • 5 degree Keyboardbelle Wedge (Clear)
  • 3/4" round cork feet
  • Belle's Secret Iced Tea Recipe Printed on an Index Card

That leaves the basics of switches, optional in-switch LEDs, and keycaps to the user.

I plan to start with 100 clear kits to ship some time in mid to late January and get the group buy listed on my store this week*

I also have some Instant60 PCBs with a green solder mask for some variant glow kits based on the 1984 case design.

The Instant60s will look similar - like this: https://www.instagram.com/p/B5ttLmQny9g

These should go great with several of the recent vaporwave keycap sets that other stores are selling.

The top of the case tends to take on the color of the in switch LEDs, so several interesting color combinations are possible.

The Keyboardbelle wedge is something I designed that uses double sided foam adhesive to stick underneath the case and separates the case from the wedge with an entire layer of foam. It's not quite a gasket mount, but the foam does make it type a bit nicer.  :cool:

The Wedge was originally part of the Nouvelle case design concept. It also has 3/4" indentations to help align where the feet and foam go. The size is almost exactly the size of a 60% PCB.

The glow kit video was from a build I did with a 1Up Keyboards Underglow PCB with 2x3x4mm in switch magenta LEDs, so the solderable DZ60 should look very similar.

Reddit review of previous 1984 case purchase: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/bip2rl/some_love_for_keyboardbelle_productsservice/

Another Reddit review: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/bvhiaz/keyboardbelle_1984_clear_case_love_the_way_this/

I don't have a sound video for the 1984 case specifically, but Manofinterests put one online for my Futura case design if people were curious how it may sound:

« Last Edit: Thu, 05 December 2019, 20:41:16 by keyboardbelle »
I ❤️ 3D Printed Cases ⌨️ Keyboardbelle.com ⌨️

Offline _senya

Re: [IC] Glow Kits - 1984 Keyboardbelle Clear Case w/ DZ60 PCB, Plate, Etc
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 December 2019, 21:35:56 »
At this price point I can probably justify one more 60%

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 December 2019, 22:53:57 »
Interested , the yellow colorway looks nice. Are you based in US? My friend has to parcel me something and I wonder if I should parcel to him.

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 06 December 2019, 20:54:24 »
Wonder how this would do with DSA minuteman.

Offline keyboardbelle

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 12:42:05 »
I put the Instant60 glow kits on my site for group buy already, they're the premium version of these (extra 6mm thick acrylic plate, costar stabilizers, custom 3D printed adapters to make the 1.5mm plate stabilizers work with 6mm plates - i.e. mandalorian prototype vibes)

The idea behind a cheaper DZ60 clear glow kit would be to allow the underglow to make the clear any color you like to match any keycap set.

I'll probably put a few separate group buys up for different clear cases in case people aren't fond of the 1984 case design - I'm running some prints for those designs now.

Also, I am based in the US, so International shipping is always $23 to $33 depending on weight.

« Last Edit: Sat, 07 December 2019, 12:50:16 by keyboardbelle »

Offline comdata55

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 12:49:05 »
Very nice! What's the eta on this sale?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline keyboardbelle

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 12:54:05 »
ETA is for delivery in mid to late January.

I'll try to get a placeholder DZ60 kit up today, I want to make sure I take the glow photos with the exact DZ60 PCB I intend on using so it's a good representation of actual looks and not a render.

Offline keyboardbelle

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 13:42:15 »
At this price point I can probably justify one more 60%

My first 60% was a Pok3r at $139, so for 2020 I was planning on focusing on kits around that price point so people could put their own switches and keycaps on them.

I did a lot of case only sales last year, but it gets a bit hectic even trying to keep up with layouts and 60% tends to work with all the base sets of keycaps, making collecting a bit cheaper.

I don't envision 3D printed cases as endgame builds, but more as nice desktop prototypes that you can use every day without worrying much about scratching or spilling a coffee on your $400 ultra-premium keyboard. Plus 3D printing lets me offer unique case designs that you don't see everyday.

For those curious, I've tried to post most of my past design work on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/keyboardbelle_prints/

Offline keyboardbelle

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 19:19:37 »
I went ahead and added the DZ60 Glow Kits:

https://keyboardbelle.com/products/copy-of-1984-clear-60-keyboard-case-angled-at-5-degrees-gh60-compatible

I'm still waiting on the DZ60 PCBs, so when they arrive I will update the group buy with better photos.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 19:27:10 »
I am interested in the more basic design, so I'm glad you're thinking of running more later.  I have a nouvelle and a 1985, so I wanted something more simple this time.