Author Topic: How loud are the loudest ALPS?  (Read 3422 times)

Offline Pixel_Outlaw

How loud are the loudest ALPS?
« on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 20:36:23 »
I know that the ALPS are not really liked much but as I only care about sound I was wondering what the loudest ALPS switch has to offer. How durable are they compared to cherry blues and also IBM springs? Are the ALPS boards usually cheaper too because they are not as widely sought after?
Brown and black are the colors of cowardice. May my springs shake the heavens!

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 20:48:49 »
Quote from: ripster;193853
Fukka Town

>
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">
[/youtube]
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline Brodie337

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 20:50:28 »
The ones in the GHSS are pretty damn loud... In the library now, and getting some odd looks.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 20:56:26 »
Yeah the ABS M1 is silly loud for a board that does not have a clicky switch. The Dell AT101W is not all that quiet either. In these cases it has less to do with the switch then it does the way the board is made in relation to the metal plate. They bottom out with the fierceness of a thunderclap! =P
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline Pixel_Outlaw

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 21:00:37 »
That is an interesting thought. Since I tend to bottom out anyway it might not be a bad option to try if they are affordable. I wear chrome aviator glasses being the center of attention with a loud keyboard is only a few steps away. Still rocking my 3 Model Ms with pride but it might be interesting to try and hear a the loudest clicky ALPS aswell as that aforementioned ABS M1. Anyone willing to get really close to the keyboard and hammer out some notes for me?

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 21:04:56 »
Quote from: brodie337;193857
the ones in the ghss are pretty damn loud... In the library now, and getting some odd looks.

Offline Brodie337

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 21:12:59 »
Dear god... You've made my day.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 21:59:10 »
That pic is seriously AWESOME!

The ABS M1 I had and sold was the loudest board I had... maybe.  The way it was built really amplified the switches in it.

Brodie!  I can't believe you took a clicky mechanical into a library!  No wonder you get looks!  I work in the single quietest office on the planet and have gradually worked my way up from cherry browns and topres to hammering away on ALPS.  I hear some sighs at times when I'm really getting down to business, so I try to throttle back the board's magnificence when that happens.  Once in a while they can't handle it's extraordinary magnitude, so I have to plug something else in for a while.

Raj, you need to put that in the contest thread!
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline Pixel_Outlaw

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 22:17:32 »

Offline Brodie337

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 22:28:29 »
I do it to annoy the apple worshiping folks here.

Every other laptop in this library is a Macbook, and each user accordingly thinks that the Apple Aluminium keyboards are the best things since sliced bread. This is real life trolling in action.

Offline chimera15

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 17 June 2010, 00:15:09 »
Fake white alps are the loudest, they're about 3 times louder than cherry blues, real complicated are maybe 1.5 times as loud as cherry blues, if they're not oiled.  If they're oiled they become almost silent, and very very light.

It also depends somewhat on the type of caps.  Good double shots like are on most leading edge boards reduce the reverve significantly. Single shots like on the minitouch increase the reverb.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 June 2010, 00:18:50 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline Harry_Y

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 17 June 2010, 08:04:15 »
To me the Alps do not seem as loud as Buckling Springs.

They also have a more pleasing lower pitched click than the
Cherry Blues (Cherry blues are too high pitched for my liking).

The Alps are still my all time favorite.

Offline chimera15

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 17 June 2010, 16:37:09 »
Yeah they fall between buckling spring, cherry blues, and most off brand switches like montereys.
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 17 June 2010, 16:49:23 »
Typing on my Blue Alps keyboard... it isn't all that loud, and most of the noise probably comes from the bottoming out as opposed to the click leaf. Pretty nice switches, but not the best.

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 17 June 2010, 16:59:39 »
I agree, the ABS M1 is the loudest non-clicky keyboard I have ever used.  I didn't know such beauty existed.

However, after using it daily for a few weeks, it quiets down a little.  I don't find these ALPS switches shallow enough to avoid bottoming them out all the time.  I'm not sure I have the dexterity to avoid bottoming out any keyboard.
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow