Author Topic: [IC] GMK Sumi ~ Update No.1  (Read 13225 times)

Offline FaKe_VirTual

• ~ German Student
[IC] GMK Sumi ~ Update No.1
« on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 09:38:52 »

GMK Sumi is a Set, inspired by the japanese ink painting art - sumi-e 墨絵

The Kits of Sumi.

The Base Kit - Art of Sumi-e 墨絵

The Hiragana Alphas - Yamato 大和民族
[this will be changed soon]

The Spacebar Kit - Man of Culture 文化の男

The Kit was designed with one PANTONE, one RAL and one GMK-Basic Colour.

Renders with the RAMA KOYU.

Deskmat Designs.

Bonsai 盆栽

Sakura 桜

Koi 鯉

Ghost Koi 精神

There are still a lot of things to come, such as the Novelties for this historical Set,
the final Decision on the Deskmat Designs and the possible Collabs between me and high quality Artisan-Keycap makers.
To help me with all my future decisions you can fill in this Form I created.
I'm thankfull for every help and support I can possibly get.

https://forms.gle/WiirqqEbSdNWAxgc8

Future Changes.

The Yamato Kit will soon be updated to a Mono-Hiragana Kit and I am also going to add a 7U and 6.25U Spacebar in alpha colours to it.
For the 40%-and Ortho-People out there, I will be making a 40s/Ortho Kit, so you can also enjoy my Set!
I am still deciding about Novelties, but will let you know as soon as possible.

Changelog.

- The Base Kit has been updated. I've set the Hiragana sublegends in the Base Kit. This was the most requested change and I have to say, that I like it even more that way too!
- An extra F13 Keycap made it into the Base Kit and I removed the "Lock" from the stepped caps lock key.
- The Deskmat designs have also changed a little bit. The User missingnumber made me aware of the fact, that the signiture on the Deskmats was written in chinese. I've changed that into the Japanese way.
- Another Change to the Bonsai Deskmat is that the Katakanas on the right side have been removed. This had multiple reasons.

Because of this set beeing in early stages, I don't list any possible Vendors until the Set is brought to perfection.

~ I want to honor Rensuya for helping me with my first Steps and Kingk22 for these fantastic renders. ~

You can also follow me on Social Media

https://www.instagram.com/series.43/?hl=de

By putting this into your signiture, you're supporting me a lot!

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=104469.0][img]https://i.imgur.com/Du1Js0a.png[/img]

« Last Edit: Thu, 06 February 2020, 16:37:39 by FaKe_VirTual »

Offline Fnzzy

Re: [IC] GMK Sumi
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 09:43:02 »
ooooooh look at those desk mats!!
Duck Viper | Duck Orion v2 | LZ CLS | J80 | Acrylic Tofu

Offline Abdallah9

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 09:43:28 »
I love the desk mats, great color way.

Offline martensson

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 09:44:32 »
Deskmats are an instant buy, and the whole kit looks really well designed. Looking forward to the GB!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline zakatak

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 09:47:00 »
I think it looks like a reverse metaverse but otherwise i like it!

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 January 2020, 09:58:34 by zakatak »

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 09:48:33 »
Agree with others on deskmats. I don't mind a lack of novelties honestly, but would love some artisans.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 09:57:00 »
A lot of people think light mods and dark alphas is bad but I think this is classy. And it has a thematically valid reason to use Japanese sublegends.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679
Reddit: /u/nerdponx
Deskthority: autoload -Uz
Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp

Offline Hydroxide

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 09:58:16 »
I'm definitely interested in a desk mat, as others have said. Also I think the whole set looks pretty good. Might have to count me in for a full set!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline digital_nothing

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 10:10:21 »
Good set, great deskmat.

Offline Bl4ck

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 10:10:54 »
Any chance on international kits?

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 10:16:57 »
I like everything about this set!

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline Cee

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 10:17:13 »
The deskmats

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Offline Zeit

• I melt at 26°C!
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 10:33:42 »
The deskmats are absolutely gorgeous.
IBM Model F AT - Dell AT101 Linearised - KBD67 HSE Black Gateron Inks - HHKB Pro 2 Black

Offline Shurakai

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 10:51:01 »
This is beautiful. I would have a hard time deciding which deskmat to get...

Also, please keep us ortho folks in mind, even if there's just a little bit of compatibility thrown into the base sets.

Offline travwal

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 11:01:55 »
This is one of the first sets I have seen where I like the light mods with dark alphas. Very nicely done!

Offline mr.bean

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 11:34:29 »
Love it!

Offline Missingnumber

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 12:07:25 »
I was somewhat excited to see this because I am interested in both calligraphy and sumi-e art in general. I do like the color scheme of the keycap set, which is the most important part. However, the rest of the product could use some work.

First, why was the hiragana set called "Ainu"? The Ainu are a race of people from the northern parts Japanese islands with a traditional culture quite different than the Japanese. It seems a bit out of place here, but maybe there is a relevant history I am unaware of.

Next, with apologies to 黒土さん, the deskmat artwork looks amateurish to me. I'm not qualified to speak on the drawings, but at the least I can say that 「インク」 is not well written. The brush strokes for the ン are even backwards. It would probably best to remove the word entirely as the katakana doesn't fit the theme in general.

Edit: Just realized the signature stamp is 墨. Whoops. I thought it was the artist's name, but now it's obvious. And I'm unsure why you would have "Sumi" as the artist's signature.
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 January 2020, 12:12:07 by Missingnumber »

Offline FaKe_VirTual

• ~ German Student
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 12:30:28 »
I was somewhat excited to see this because I am interested in both calligraphy and sumi-e art in general. I do like the color scheme of the keycap set, which is the most important part. However, the rest of the product could use some work.

First, why was the hiragana set called "Ainu"? The Ainu are a race of people from the northern parts Japanese islands with a traditional culture quite different than the Japanese. It seems a bit out of place here, but maybe there is a relevant history I am unaware of.

Next, with apologies to 黒土さん, the deskmat artwork looks amateurish to me. I'm not qualified to speak on the drawings, but at the least I can say that 「インク」 is not well written. The brush strokes for the ン are even backwards. It would probably best to remove the word entirely as the katakana doesn't fit the theme in general.

Edit: Just realized the signature stamp is 墨. Whoops. I thought it was the artist's name, but now it's obvious. And I'm unsure why you would have "Sumi" as the artist's signature.
First I have to apologie for the calligraphy, but I'm not able to proper write or even read in Japanese. Im actually from germany and just satisfied with japanese culture.
Yeah, the artwork is not professionally drawn because it was made by me in my spare time. I'm a student in engineering, not an actual artist.
I've choosen the Word Ainu for the Hiragana alphas, because I liked to name it after a traditional japanese race, so that the set gets more of a historical touch. By looking for a suiting name in the Internet I came to this. But the Name is able to change, so there is no bound to it.
As I said in the IC, the Set is still in work and definetly needs some extra work, until it reaches perfection. So this criticism is very usefull.
(I already thought that the things google translator is telling me aren't quiet right and here is the proof.)

Thanks for your comment!

Offline Missingnumber

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 12:40:18 »
I'm glad you are open to criticism, because I think this is a cool project.

At the very least you should change the name from Ainu. They were a completely different people with their own language and their land (northern Honshu and Hokkaido) was taken over by the Japanese in relatively recent history. The race of people that became what we think of today as the Japanese are the Yamato (大和民族).

Edit: This isn't to say that the modern Ainu (or Ryukyuan people for that matter) aren't Japanese. They certainly are, just as much as those people of Yamato heritage or even more recent immigrants to the country.  But sumi-e is not something anyone would associate with their culture.
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 January 2020, 12:50:56 by Missingnumber »

Offline 002 DC

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 12:58:11 »
this is beautifully done

Offline FaKe_VirTual

• ~ German Student
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 13:02:13 »
I'm glad you are open to criticism, because I think this is a cool project.

At the very least you should change the name from Ainu. They were a completely different people with their own language and their land (northern Honshu and Hokkaido) was taken over by the Japanese in relatively recent history. The race of people that became what we think of today as the Japanese are the Yamato (大和民族).

Edit: This isn't to say that the modern Ainu (or Ryukyuan people for that matter) aren't Japanese. They certainly are, just as much as those people of Yamato heritage or even more recent immigrants to the country.  But sumi-e is not something anyone would associate with their culture.
I changed it!
Thanks for your research and time spent with this issue!

Offline constexpr

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 13:10:00 »
I like the colorway. Japanese inspirations are really beyond the point of being overused at this point, so I have nothing to say regarding the theme. I do have a few useful kitting suggestions, though:
  • Add R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn to the base kit. A lot of people prefer these to R2 PgUp, R3 PgDn for their 65%/75% right column setups.
  • The base is kind of large, so it may be worth considering removing 1.75u stepped Control and 2u Shift to help keep the price down.
  • Add an extra alpha B to the spacebar kit, for ergo boards.
  • 1.75c isn't a very useful spacebar key — only two or three 40% boards use it, iirc. Considering removing it, as that would save two keys.

Finally, please don't use CDN image links in your posts. Upload the images to Imgur instead. Your post looks like this in all of my browsers because of privacy/XSS settings:

P.S. Mandatory Hiragana in any way would kill this set for me.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 February 2020, 03:25:29 by constexpr »

Offline belgium_waffles

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 13:40:20 »
gimme that deskmat

Offline Abec13

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 13:52:20 »
gimme that deskmat

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
45-ATS | KBD19X | Volcano 660 PC | Think 6.5 | Iron 165 SE
[/url]

Offline PandaSuit

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 14:39:06 »
Those deskmats have the same problem as Mizu deskmat, when you put the keyboard on it you can't see the fish, and Mizu even had bigger fish on it.

Offline Koatl

• Kozahtli on reddit, etc.
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 14:51:40 »
Won't be getting this set, even though it is very beautiful. I do however want all of these deskmats. Please consider putting them all out. I'd buy one of each easy.
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline Beerbezerker

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 15:17:28 »
In for pretty much everything, beautiful work so far!!

Offline nsmk

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 16:18:37 »
For the 「インク」("Ink" in Japanese) word on the deskmat, I think you used「ソ」instead of 「ン」which are different katakanas and pronounce differently.

Consider changing it to「ン」if you decide to keep the katakanas.

Offline yhs

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 17:40:50 »
Yes!

Offline Weaselpc

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 17:47:16 »
Not going to lie i'm not really considering GMK Darling becasue the Deskmats didn't turn out too great and they dont have hirigana alphas. This one ha hiragana alphas AND 3 awesome deskmats so i'm already considering it greatly.

Offline Kawamashi

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 17:48:48 »
I do however want all of these deskmats. Please consider putting them all out. I'd buy one of each easy.

Exactly the same here, I'll be happy to buy 'em all.

Offline Tyson

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 18:07:50 »
Nice set, reminds me of inverse GMK Metaverse! I'm glad more inverse gmk sets are coming out! Dark Alphas with Light mods!

Offline Xerpocalypse

• (◡ ‿ ◡ )
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 18:08:11 »
Really liking how this set is themed, especially the deskmats! I think everything is tied together well.

And, slightly off-topic:
Not going to lie i'm not really considering GMK Darling becasue the Deskmats didn't turn out too great and they dont have hirigana alphas. This one ha hiragana alphas AND 3 awesome deskmats so i'm already considering it greatly.

FWIW, Darling's base kit has hiragana sublegends, since you seem to be confused about that.
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 January 2020, 18:11:13 by Xerpocalypse »

Offline Honey

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 18:11:08 »
super pretty, I want everything.
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 January 2020, 19:22:11 by Honey »

Offline Shurakai

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 20:15:49 »
Those deskmats have the same problem as Mizu deskmat, when you put the keyboard on it you can't see the fish, and Mizu even had bigger fish on it.

Split ortho!

Hiragana only alpha kit, plz.

Offline snelltrail

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 21:45:09 »
Love the theme and the colors. I think the deskmats are pretty great as well.

Personally I'd prefer to see Hiragana subbed alphas in the base kit. I'd also like to see 6.25u and 7u spacebars added to the alternate alphas kit, whether the alt alphas are Latin or Hiragana-subbed. I definitely think Hiragana subs are much better than Hiragana-only alphas.

It'd also be cool to see extra B keys (Alice support) added to the spacebar kit (extra Latin B and extra Hiragana sub B ideally!!). Finally F13 would be a really nice addition as well, although that is very much the lowest priority.

Thank you for your work so far and looking forward to following this IC!

Offline zstsc

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 22:12:16 »
Please consider to include the hiragana alphas in the base kit. So we do not need to buy two sets to fully enjoy the essence of the art of sumi-
I think most of us are into those hiragana subbed alphas in the first place.

I am glad to see a WoB hiragana set aside from the pad printed OCO jap.
Is the RAL 5004 color similar to the GMK metropolis base with white legends?
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 January 2020, 22:21:55 by zstsc »

Offline octix

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 22:58:48 »
Really liking that deskmat. I need it!

Discord: octix#0478

Offline Warrenified

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 23:18:36 »
Absolutely gorgeous! And those deskmats! Wew

Offline 1Weeb

• ◕w◕
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 23:39:30 »
I think icon mods or maybe a full modifier novelty kit would work well since the regular text does not seem to fit in with the art theme of the set. A hiragana only alphas kit would be nice too since there aren't too many of those around and would be nice to see it on a set like this.

Offline androo

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 01:39:34 »
I think making the stepped caps just say "Caps" would make the look more consistent. Otherwise, great colorway and awesome deskmats.

Offline Missingnumber

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 10:31:33 »
I disagree with those saying that hiragana sublegends match the theme. Sumi-e is often minimalistic, and double legends look cluttered to me.

And if anyone actually cared about the Japanese aspect of keycaps people would include caps that help with typing in Japanese (the hiragana/katakana/romaji toggle or the half-width/full-width button) or even full JIS compatibility sets. No one uses the hiragana sublegends to type in Japanese, so it's nothing more than a novelty people can't even read. Only one other person pointing out the misspelling in Japanese in the mat shows that.

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 10:41:08 »
Loving this!

Offline zakatak

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 10:42:18 »
how about scrap the latin legends and go full hiragana for yamato

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

Offline constexpr

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 13:31:04 »
And if anyone actually cared about the Japanese aspect of keycaps people would include caps that help with typing in Japanese (the hiragana/katakana/romaji toggle or the half-width/full-width button) or even full JIS compatibility sets. No one uses the hiragana sublegends to type in Japanese, so it's nothing more than a novelty people can't even read. Only one other person pointing out the misspelling in Japanese in the mat shows that.

Well said.

Offline Jebus

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 14:22:51 »
This set looks so elegant...I dig it. Very much so.

Offline ilikerustoo

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 14:32:16 »
Make every single one of those deskmats. Also the set looks nice.

Offline zstsc

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 17:05:43 »
I disagree with those saying that hiragana sublegends match the theme. Sumi-e is often minimalistic, and double legends look cluttered to me.

Latin only alphas to me look uninspired and western, and could mean anything red black white

Offline Missingnumber

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 19:06:47 »
Latin only alphas to me look uninspired and western, and could mean anything red black white

On the one hand, I do see what you mean about ambiguity.  But I do think the simple set with just Latin looks very sumi-e to me, due to the well-matched color scheme.  It could be because I have it in mind when looking at the renders, but the understated modifiers and simple text really work for me.

And FaKe_VirTual, do you have any ideas for novelties?  If you plan on doing them and need ideas, a black on white enso (Zen circle) could be pretty cool if it's not too hard for manufacturing.
Here's an article on the subject:
https://medium.com/@mariogomes/analysis-of-the-ens%C5%8D-symbol-f200f0798692

Offline alanskiii

Re: [IC] GMK Sumi - Updated with Future Changes
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 21:55:28 »

And FaKe_VirTual, do you have any ideas for novelties?  If you plan on doing them and need ideas, a black on white enso (Zen circle) could be pretty cool if it's not too hard for manufacturing.
Here's an article on the subject:
https://medium.com/@mariogomes/analysis-of-the-ens%C5%8D-symbol-f200f0798692

I like this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CodeMayhem

« Reply #50 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 22:40:00 »
I saw that your adding the Hiraganas to the base kit but i think it would be even better to just offer the alpha kits separately from the mods; this way ppl that want the one not included in the base kit don't get priced out; also helps out the ortho ppl, further not pricing them out making moq more manageable.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 February 2020, 22:52:57 by CodeMayhem »

Offline jinrawke

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 23:19:54 »
I'm all in for this one - immediately thought of ghost of tsushima when I saw this.

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 00:01:58 »
I saw that your adding the Hiraganas to the base kit but i think it would be even better to just offer the alpha kits separately from the mods; this way ppl that want the one not included in the base kit don't get priced out; also helps out the ortho ppl, further not pricing them out making moq more manageable.

Pretty sure GMK makes it prohibitively expensive to have separate mods and alphas.

Offline CodeMayhem

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 01:07:10 »

Pretty sure GMK makes it prohibitively expensive to have separate mods and alphas.

dumb, glad I only want hiragana.

Offline KEYGEM

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 12:56:11 »
I really like the design and colours! Looking forward to it!

Offline Kotahh

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 13:54:39 »
Love the deskmats!

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 22:31:19 »
My immediate response was going to be "Why would you put alphas in the baaseeeee"

This is looking clean as hell, will be following this one closely!
Also voicing the fact that separate alphas altogether would be best, I'm just here for some mono Hiragana and some mods  :cool:

Offline Kiba

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 02:25:18 »
Looking forward to this!

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 05:35:25 »
Wow, 6 backslash keys in the Yamato kit! That must be a new record! However, was the top row backslash key in the lighter color maybe meant as a backtick/tilde key?

Also, interesting that the numpad colors are inverted... not entirely sure if I like it that much, would definitely be great to see some renders with keyboards with numpads :)

Offline FaKe_VirTual

• ~ German Student
Re: [IC] GMK Sumi ~ Update No.1
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 16:21:45 »
I have made a couple changes to the Set. You can look them up in full detail, if you go to the Changelog.
Hope you like it so far!

Offline 002 DC

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 19:27:03 »
Pure Class & Aesthetic

Offline surfortuna

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 10:35:00 »
those deskmats are incredible!

Offline Nk0

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 10:57:28 »
i want

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 12:30:12 »
In all honestly, had to come back to say that a Hiragana only kit for this set is a MUST.

With the color way and how clean the overall design looks, the Hiragana (or Katakana) would make this one a must buy for me.

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 12:45:00 »
Wow, 6 backslash keys in the Yamato kit! That must be a new record! However, was the top row backslash key in the lighter color maybe meant as a backtick/tilde key?

This keyset isn't actually breaking a record - SA Yuri got there first.  :D

That said, I agree: the top row B-P key ought to be a backquote-tilde key instead of backslash-pipe.

Offline Nuclear Nachos

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 17:28:38 »
Any chance for 1.5u FN key? Perfect for boards like the Koyu and tsangan 65%'s where the left alt key is the layer key, otherwise looks amazing  :thumb:

Offline tomusan

• hi
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 17:34:03 »
Maybe text+icon mods would work better here?

Looking spicy tho
Nunu | Jane V2 CE (soon) | [redacted] | [redacted]

Offline TonyPia

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 12:10:58 »
Decent set. I'd like to see icon mods also and R3 PgUp and R4 PgDn. Especially the Ghost Koi mat is fabulous.

Offline TonyPia

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 12:13:22 »
BTW, when is the target GB date roughly?

Offline FaKe_VirTual

• ~ German Student
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 12:17:46 »
Decent set. I'd like to see icon mods also and R3 PgUp and R4 PgDn. Especially the Ghost Koi mat is fabulous.

Yeah I'm going to include the R3 PgUp and R4 PgDn in the Basekit soon.

And I think that the GB Date is in the range from April to June, because I haven't gotten in contact with every vendor.
But I'm trying my best to get there as soon as possible!

Offline dak148

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 08:38:32 »
This is like the inverse of metaverse but looks way cleaner to me. I like the off-white.

Offline jagger27

• ne colevrak???
« Reply #71 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 16:24:15 »
No 1.5U Supers makes me sad

Offline FaKe_VirTual

• ~ German Student
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 17:08:07 »
No 1.5U Supers makes me sad

Soon to be changed!

Offline Solotov

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 18:33:57 »
Love the updates. Now I'm definitely in  :thumb:
HHKB2 / Zephyr / M65 / M60 / LZ MP / LZ CLSn / Kepler / Jane V2 CE / Orion V2 / Polaris / Key65 / Unikorn / Poly Alice / 910 CE / GSKT-00

Offline TonyPia

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 21:45:13 »
QQ. Is it intentional to have upper nav keys to have the same color as default alphas?  Guess it's more common to have all mods in the same color? (and possibly alpha color mods as extra in the base kit or in another sub-kit)

Offline FaKe_VirTual

• ~ German Student
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 05:46:57 »
QQ. Is it intentional to have upper nav keys to have the same color as default alphas?  Guess it's more common to have all mods in the same color? (and possibly alpha color mods as extra in the base kit or in another sub-kit)
Yeah, that was intentional. I just wanted this set to be a little different in many ways.
I thought about that, but it would not quiet fit in the Theme of sumi-e, when the whole set would be black. Something would be missing.

Offline kindakeyboards

• IC Conone By Kindakeyboards
« Reply #76 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 08:54:20 »
In love

Offline TonyPia

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 09:12:09 »
Actually I meant the other way around. If you follow the convention, all mods should be white (except accents) and alphas should be black.
If you have 75% or 65%, and your base kit remains as is, there is no way to fill navs with 1 color, either black or white.
You may want to add R1 white home and del key to support 65 and 75% while keeping your theme intact.

Offline FaKe_VirTual

• ~ German Student
« Reply #78 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 13:49:44 »
Actually I meant the other way around. If you follow the convention, all mods should be white (except accents) and alphas should be black.
If you have 75% or 65%, and your base kit remains as is, there is no way to fill navs with 1 color, either black or white.
You may want to add R1 white home and del key to support 65 and 75% while keeping your theme intact.
Ahh okay, now I get what you mean. This is definetly going to change, Thanks!

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #79 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 16:49:07 »
Ahh okay, now I get what you mean. This is definetly going to change, Thanks!

Don't forget R1 white Insert, too.

Offline Emir

• Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #80 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 18:06:29 »
Mats are top notch!

Offline DarkSphere00

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 18:29:56 »
I love everything about this!
It's beautiful and elegant and even relaxing if I might.

I am actually considering not buying Future Funk because of this...
Do you have any rough estimate on when this GB will be?  If they're distant enough in time I might even afford both, I hope

One of the two Koi deskpads is an instant purchase, they're just too beautiful and it might finally be time I use a deskpad.
The keys look clean and gorgeous.  I'm definitely considering the hiragana only kit, and I would please love to see a Icon modifiers kit as well!
(or just do a base kit with icon mods and hiraganas only, like GMK Masterpiece, but I don't think this will be the best choice for everyone here...)

I really wish you best luck with this set because it's simply too beautiful
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 February 2020, 18:38:56 by DarkSphere00 »

Online joonia

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 18:45:45 »
those deskmats my lord

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #83 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 18:51:27 »
Ah, this set... I ain't much of a weeb, but...

The more I look at it, The more I like it. I do think it's good.

The fact is... no matter how closely I study it, no matter how I take it apart, no matter how I break it down, it remains consistent.

I WISH YOU WERE HERE TO S... er...... sorry; got carried away a bit.

I definitely like this. The only change I'd make (besides ensuring all the necessary white mods are added) would be to correct the numpad* and numpad/ keys, which should have the legends "*" and "/" instead of "×" and "÷" (which as much as it may be the German style, it's wrong).

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 01:23:48 »
This is an awesome set !
I love the subtle black thats not quite black and the creamy white- though I worry how well thats reproducible in plastic.
Are you planning to order some color samples or do you know if these are colors used by other sets ? (I'm guessing no on the second question as the colors are custom )

Offline d00deitsnik

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 01:41:34 »
This is an awesome set !
I love the subtle black thats not quite black and the creamy white- though I worry how well thats reproducible in plastic.
Are you planning to order some color samples or do you know if these are colors used by other sets ? (I'm guessing no on the second question as the colors are custom )

As far as the white goes, WS1 is the same white that's in GMK Minimal if I'm not mistaken. That might give you an idea of the white that's being used at least.

Offline Techichi

« Reply #86 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 08:50:45 »
Very interested!

Offline CodeMonkeyX

« Reply #87 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 13:00:50 »
I am going to get this set.

Also, have you considered making a dark mod set as an extra? Not sure about others, but I would like the option to black out the board too.

Offline eas

« Reply #88 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 19:21:06 »
Ghost Koi will be absurdly beautiful with my Lily58

Offline dvorcol

« Reply #89 on: Wed, 12 February 2020, 19:43:02 »
Everything in the Spacebars kit will be convex, right?

Offline CodeMonkeyX

« Reply #90 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 00:41:26 »

I would imagine they would be standard GMK molds? I did not even know there was any option?

Offline snelltrail

« Reply #91 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 05:38:17 »

I would imagine they would be standard GMK molds? I did not even know there was any option?

I think 1.25c and 1.75c molds now exist, so the whole spacebar kit should be convex. (Previously 1.25u and 1.75u "spacebars" were basically blank shift keys but the new convex versions give them a nice curve which is much more comfortable for spacebars.)

Offline cnbrauns30

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 08:14:40 »
I'm in at least for the base set and bonsai desk mat! I'm digging it

Offline CodeMonkeyX

« Reply #93 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 10:08:08 »

I think 1.25c and 1.75c molds now exist, so the whole spacebar kit should be convex. (Previously 1.25u and 1.75u "spacebars" were basically blank shift keys but the new convex versions give them a nice curve which is much more comfortable for spacebars.)

Ahhh makes sense, I was not thinking of the smaller ones.

Offline FaKe_VirTual

• ~ German Student
« Reply #94 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 13:24:29 »
Yeah, they all should be convex

Offline l2ic3

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 18:53:15 »
Need thisssss

Offline Abhorrent Cell

« Reply #96 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 18:48:57 »
I miss the smaller koi, but all pads are still dope and worth buying.

Suggested novelties of enso circle, simple brush stroke and Mt. Fuji.

Hiragana and spacebar kits are a solid purchase to add on to most other sets. Good stuff.

Offline ecbob

« Reply #97 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 13:42:16 »
Can you render with a white case please?

Offline uJilliam

« Reply #98 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 14:36:57 »
Im intending to used this kit for my tengu (alice layout) keyboard. Is it possible that there is another 'b' key included or perhaps a novelty key that would match the WoB alpha keys color scheme? Also I wonder what a render of this keyset on a (black) TGR Alice would look like.

Offline CodeMonkeyX

« Reply #99 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 15:10:27 »

100% un-official and just a quick Photoshop of the color, but here is a rough idea of what it will look like on a white board. I am sure they will release much better renders on white when the GB opens.

https://imgur.com/a/NP8Q2Go
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 February 2020, 15:15:13 by CodeMonkeyX »

Offline ecbob

« Reply #100 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 20:34:33 »

100% un-official and just a quick Photoshop of the color, but here is a rough idea of what it will look like on a white board. I am sure they will release much better renders on white when the GB opens.

https://imgur.com/a/NP8Q2Go

thanks bro

Offline bananafish

• Je vis. I lube switches with silicone grease.
    • bananafish
« Reply #101 on: Sun, 16 February 2020, 05:33:31 »
If I end up too poor to buy the keycaps, I'd empty my wallet just to buy those deskmats. The design's amazing!