Author Topic: [UK/EU] Mac-like slim mini board for PC  (Read 3272 times)

Offline Rajagra

[UK/EU] Mac-like slim mini board for PC
« on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 00:10:43 »
Shameless rip-off, tailored for PC use.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220623697635

I doubt the feel is any better than the Mac one, it may be worse. But it is undeniably small, and the layout is not bad. And just £14 inclusive.

I can't see a Ins key though. Might be a deal-breaker.

Same seller does cheap multi-touch touchpads. Seems to have a few ebay aliases too, all selling the same things from Bristol at the same prices?

« Last Edit: Sun, 20 June 2010, 22:11:26 by Rajagra »

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 00:41:29 »
The new-school chiclet keys are fashionable, but it reduces my typing speed dramatically.
Sort of do not want.
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow

Offline chimera15

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 01:08:45 »
wow, cheap too..nice format as well
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 01:19:29 »
Yes and one underrated thing about these keyboards is that they're board chow resistant... not proof, but resistant. It's a start.

I sort of like that the CTRL key is now in the lower left corner, but I'm just now realizing that the Fn key is supposed to give you access to all the shortcuts that are needed to mimic a 103 key board.

One difference between this board and the usual Apple mini board is that there's four keys to the left of the space and two on the right.
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 June 2010, 01:25:56 by hyperlinked »
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 03:54:04 »
Quote from: aegrotatio;194884
The new-school chiclet keys are fashionable, but it reduces my typing speed dramatically.
Sort of do not want.

How fast can you type?

Offline Guardian

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 04:25:39 »
By the look of the hand model in there, this keyboard isn't full size. Definitely do not want. Otherwise it looks alright.
Keyboards:
Elbowglue SPOS (Cherry Black)
SIIG Minitouch (ALPS White)
Compaq MX11800 (Cherry Browns)

Offline overdriver

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 04:35:49 »
is there anything similar to this keyboard that can be shipped to US .. ? I love the clone of apple keyboard.

*edit* nevermind.. I just found it  LOL
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 June 2010, 04:37:58 by overdriver »
OmniKey 101 - the perfect keyboard
Chicony KB-5181 - SMK Monterey Blue switch
Cherry G86-6241OEUAGSA - Cherry Brown switch
IBM M 1378160(Ambra)
Dell AT101w / AEK II

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 11:59:25 »
I love the Chinglish.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 13:13:12 »
Quote from: Rajagra;194879
Shameless rip-off, tailored for PC use.

Ohh... so now IBM-PC-Compatible users can have a horrible chiclet keyboard. I think I'll stay with my Model M lol.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 15:22:38 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;194977
Ohh... so now IBM-PC-Compatible users can have a horrible chiclet keyboard. I think I'll stay with my Model M lol.

You seem like the person who needs a Model M with a built-in trackball like mine.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 15:23:50 »
Quote from: Guardian;194913
By the look of the hand model in there, this keyboard isn't full size. Definitely do not want. Otherwise it looks alright.

The listing claims "Dimension: 28.5cm x 12cm". I think it uses standard key spacing.

Also says "crisp, responsive low profile keys since the keys are basically the same size with normal keyboard."

"Crisp, responsive" might mean scissor switch, so it might be quite OK to type on. I was worried it might be one of those "roll-up keyboard with chiclet keys on top" kind of affairs.

Offline isp

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 20:12:14 »
I realize it's all personal preference, but you couldn't pay me to type on one of those...
hhkb

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 20:14:30 »
What people don't appreciate is that if they overcame their preconceptions, they'd find that those Aloomanum Mac keyboards are better than most rubber dome keyboards out there.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 20:25:25 »
Quote from: ch_123;195075
What people don't appreciate is that if they overcame their preconceptions, they'd find that those Aloomanum Mac keyboards are better than most rubber dome keyboards out there.

Nope. I'd rather type on a ****ty HP rubber dome. I've used them both.

The switches are really stiff, and there isn't enough key travel. I've used those wretched things for hours (as well as the horrible HP rubber domes).

They are not better than most keyboards out there, in fact, those are the bottom of the barrel. It doesn't help that they totally lack ergonomy, use a silly layout, and are just designed in such an irritating way!

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 20:33:57 »
The layout is the same as a standard US ANSI keyboard (or pretty representative of a standard laptop layout in the case of the compact ones) and they didn't strike me as particularly stiff. Very little travel, but in a sense, this is a good thing with rubber dome-based switches because it covers up the mushiness of the dome. I can type as fast on them as I can type on just about any other keyboard, so it's not as if they are an inherent impediment to fast typing.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 20:46:06 »
Quote from: ch_123;195079
The layout is the same as a standard US ANSI keyboard (or pretty representative of a standard laptop layout in the case of the compact ones) and they didn't strike me as particularly stiff. Very little travel, but in a sense, this is a good thing with rubber dome-based switches because it covers up the mushiness of the dome. I can type as fast on them as I can type on just about any other keyboard, so it's not as if they are an inherent impediment to fast typing.

Let's see, they tacked on a bunch of extra function keys (F19!!!!!), the esc is annoyingly small, they were stupid and renamed backspace to delete, so now you have two delete keys that do something different (seriously that is just plain stupidity). Insert was replaced with function... some weird "clear" button on the numpad, and finally the "\" slash button was shrunken down.

Oh yeah, and those multimedia buttons (yuck) coupled with an "eject" button. I still like my CD drives to have an actual button.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 22:36:06 »
To avoid any confusion I've stitched together an image of the ebay board. As you can see it's ***IBM PC*** orientated. It has arrow keys. It has an embedded numeric pad. I can see every function from a 104 key PC keyboard except:
  • No right Windows or Menu keys. (Very appropriate to be left out of such a design.)
  • No Pause/Break key. (Possibly a problem, but not to most users.)
  • I don't see the Ins key. (Possibly a big problem to some.)

Maybe the Ins function is there but not marked. Worst case scenario is you have to do Shift-Fn-M to replicate it. It's hard to believe they would leave Ins out when they went to the trouble of adding a Fn layer. But who knows? There are lazy and stupid people in this world who are content to do a half-assed job.

I'm not trying to push this as a good daily driver (though some would be happy with it.) But it is a tiny portable keyboard with a good layout. Better laid out than my Cherry ML4100 for example. I appreciate utility items that have good design features. When they are cheap to boot it makes me very happy indeed.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 22:46:59 »
Quote from: Rajagra;195095
To avoid any confusion I've stitched together an image of the ebay board. As you can see it's ***IBM PC*** orientated. It has arrow keys. It has an embedded numeric pad. I can see every function from a 104 key PC keyboard except:
  • No right Windows or Menu keys. (Very appropriate to be left out of such a design.)
  • No Pause/Break key. (Possibly a problem, but not to most users.)
  • I don't see the Ins key. (Possibly a big problem to some.)

Maybe the Ins function is there but not marked. Worst case scenario is you have to do Shift-Fn-M to replicate it. It's hard to believe they would leave Ins out when they went to the trouble of adding a Fn layer. But who knows? There are lazy and stupid people in this world who are content to do a half-assed job.

I'm not trying to push this as a good daily driver (though some would be happy with it.) But it is a tiny portable keyboard with a good layout. Better laid out than my Cherry ML4100 for example. I appreciate utility items that have good design features. When they are cheap to boot it makes me very happy indeed.

Show Image

For a portable keyboard, yeah, that thing would serve the job.

But it's the apple keyboards that are made as a MAIN one that send me into insanity. They HAUNT ME!

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 21 June 2010, 00:32:32 »
So, let me interject a bit on the ergonomics issue of chiclet and super thin keyboards...

I don't know if it was by design or by accident, but super thin keyboards actually may be more ergonomic for your average user because your average user doesn't buy wrist rests, keyboard trays, computer tables, or computer chairs. They've got a computer on top of an old desk somewhere and they're probably sitting on a wooden chair or an old office chair that's too short for comfortable computer use.

For these people, a flat keyboard is an asset because they're either going be to resting their forearms on the table top or the keyboard will be on the edge of the table and a regularly sized keyboard with normal travel will cause them to have to arch their wrists back into a really bad position for typing.

If you're trying to use a wrist or palm rest with these keyboards then they'll be impossible to use, but wrist or palm rests themselves are not necessarily recommended ergonomic devices. They help some people correct or prevent bad habits, but they can also create discomfort and lead to problems as well.

For a travel situation in which your computing setup may end up looking very similar to the daily setup of the average user because you're just using whatever furniture is available in front of you, a super flat keyboard may be a much better idea than you think... you just have to get used to it. If you're any good of a typist, you will pretty quickly once you get over how strange it feels at first.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 21 June 2010, 00:40:03 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;195114
So, let me interject a bit on the ergonomics issue of chiclet and super thin keyboards...

I don't know if it was by design or by accident, but super thin keyboards actually may be more ergonomic for your average user because your average user doesn't buy wrist rests, keyboard trays, computer tables, or computer chairs. They've got a computer on top of an old desk somewhere and they're probably sitting on a wooden chair or an old office chair that's too short for comfortable computer use.

For these people, a flat keyboard is an asset because they're either going be to resting their forearms on the table top or the keyboard will be on the edge of the table and a regularly sized keyboard with normal travel will cause them to have to arch their wrists back into a really bad position for typing.

If you're trying to use a wrist or palm rest with these keyboards then they'll be impossible to use, but wrist or palm rests themselves are not necessarily recommended ergonomic devices. They help some people correct or prevent bad habits, but they can also create discomfort and lead to problems as well.

For a travel situation in which your computing setup may end up looking very similar to the daily setup of the average user because you're just using whatever furniture is available in front of you, a super flat keyboard may be a much better idea than you think... you just have to get used to it. If you're any good of a typist, you will pretty quickly once you get over how strange it feels at first.

The best keyboard apple ever designed:

:ohwell:

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 21 June 2010, 04:35:18 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;195096
But it's the apple keyboards that are made as a MAIN one that send me into insanity.

I respectfully suggest that the insanity occurred a long time before you came into contact with a Mac.