Author Topic: Yet another ergonomic keyboard  (Read 2029 times)

Offline Dox

Yet another ergonomic keyboard
« on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 09:10:59 »
I remember when I created the ErgoDox, custom ergonomic keyboards were few and far between.
Nowadays, it seems like every configuration have been tried. I wanted something easier to transport than my ErgoDox while maintaining a few key aspect.

I built something along the lines of the Atreus62 but modified it with 64 key layout and non-staggered columns.
I realized that the staggered columns didn't make a big difference for me but the fact that the halves were not tented was a big downside.
236809-0

So I decided to designed something from scratch.

Prerequisite:
   1 piece
   USB C
   ortholinear
   7 degree slope
   12 degree split
   5 degree tent
   Dedicated F1-F12 keys
   QMK Compatible
   Compatible with most keycap set

Here is what I came up with;
236811-1236813-2236815-3236817-4236819-5236821-6

I still need to complete the PCB design but I'm almost there. It's good to be back to building keyboards  :)

Let me know what you think!
ErgoDox x2 | DoxKB x2 |   IBM SSK   | HHKB pro2

Offline fpazos

Re: Yet another ergonomic keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 09:44:03 »
It looks really nice and convenient. I like it despite prefering fully splited keebs

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 7 mediante Tapatalk

Offline Blitzschnitzel

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 18:06:58 »
Very cool! Only the asymmetry off the case would bug me. Are those three separate PCBs with jumper wires in between?

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
  • "Losing the digital battle one digit at a time."
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 19:01:11 »
Good to see you back. I was wondering if you’d ever resurface. You’re the sperm whale of the keyboard community. Your design looks sound. Just a little tenting helps a lot and the 12 degree skew is a good compromise with a one piece board.👍👍

Afterthought: I do question your getting away from the staggered columns. I find it to be a pretty important feature. Did you not like them, or do you prefer the space saving or simplicity of the straight design?
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 March 2020, 06:58:19 by kurplop »

Offline equalunique

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 06:42:25 »
IT'S PERFECT. PLEASE DON'T CHANGE A THING.

Offline Findecanor

• Low Social Media Credit Score
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 06:50:33 »
Very stylish. I like visual design.
The only thing that worries me is that the cutout for the USB Type C port might not be big enough for all cables.
"I'm sorry, a rain drop literally pushed "Submit" on this retarded touchscreen phone"

Offline Nuji

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 08:30:22 »
that board is goddamn hot

Offline Dox

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 13:21:18 »
It looks really nice and convenient. I like it despite prefering fully splited keebs

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 7 mediante Tapatalk

After years of using my ErgoDox I realized that I always place the halves in the same position and I wanted something I could put over a laptop while traveling and the split keyboard makes it difficult.

Very cool! Only the asymmetry off the case would bug me. Are those three separate PCBs with jumper wires in between?

Yes, 3 PCBs, I'm not sure yet how I will connect them together, probably just jumper wires in between as they will be in a permanent position once assembled. The USB-C is on a daughterboard as per Ai03’s universal daughterboard specification.

Good to see you back. I was wondering if you’d ever resurface. You’re the sperm whale of the keyboard community. Your design looks sound. Just a little tenting helps a lot and the 12 degree skew is a good compromise with a one piece board.👍👍

Afterthought: I do question your getting away from the staggered columns. I find it to be a pretty important feature. Did you not like them, or do you prefer the space saving or simplicity of the straight design?

Thanks! 12 degree is how I always place my ErgoDox so I went with that.
The column stagger on the ErgoDox is quite minimal. I like it but I didn't find it hard at all to adapt to full grid layout on my "Atreus clone" and it simplifies the compatibility of keycaps for the bottom row.

Very stylish. I like visual design.
The only thing that worries me is that the cutout for the USB Type C port might not be big enough for all cables.

I measured the USB C cables I have handy and they would all fit. The opening is 7.6 x 13.3 mm. I think most cables should fit.

Offline Dox

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 09:02:52 »
All the parts have been ordered, let's see how long it will take with the current situation..

Offline Dox

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 14:51:28 »
I got a few parts including the PCBs, but the case will not be here before April-May.
238363-0

Offline psxndc

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 18:46:56 »
Scrolling through the pix I had a Mike Myers moment. Non staggered Atreus?  ... yes ... Tented... Yes... Non uniform bottom row? No! That right side? No!

But seriously, looks dope. I think I'm just a fan of the Atreus, but it needs some tweaks.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 06:20:23 »
This looks great, it's a lot like an idea that's been rattling around my brain for years - split and tenting are nice but there's no reason not to go big vertically rather than remembering layers for rarely used keys.  The reason it never left my head is that I'm too attached to ISO and the silly shaped enter key ruins everything :( (not because I have no CAD skills :)))

Impressive delivery speed on the PCBs too.

Ducky Zero, MX Reds    JD40, Jailhouse Blues           GH60
Soarer controller

Offline Zustiur

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 29 March 2020, 20:03:05 »
Wow. Non staggered columns? Clearly your personal ergonomic requirements are different to mine.
Otherwise, it looks like a very sensible design to me. I too got sick of having split halves. There's a big advantage to having a big keyboard that stays where you put it, especially if you move work locations on a regular basis.

P.s. I have to ask, are you the same Dox of Tribes modding/mapping fame?

Offline Dox

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 10:27:00 »
Wow. Non staggered columns? Clearly your personal ergonomic requirements are different to mine.
Otherwise, it looks like a very sensible design to me. I too got sick of having split halves. There's a big advantage to having a big keyboard that stays where you put it, especially if you move work locations on a regular basis.

P.s. I have to ask, are you the same Dox of Tribes modding/mapping fame?

The column staggering on the ErgoDox is quite minimal and during my testing with my full ortholinear "Atreus" I wasn't missing it too much. It also made the design much simpler especially for the bottom row.

As you said, my personal ergonomic requirements are different as are the requirements of every different person. That's why the thumb section of the ErgoDox has been criticized by so many users, but it was perfect for me and that's why it was done that way. I can reach to any of the thumb keys easily.

It's been 8 years since I've used anything else than the ErgoDox as my daily driver. Any change is going to require some adjustment, but I think the design I came up with is a good middle ground for the requirement I set to achieve with this keyboard.

P.s. I don't know Tribes. It must be another Dox.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 17:51:35 »
Nice. This reminds me of an ortho Marquardt Mini Ergo (I recently tried to make one similar to it but ended up going with scooped keywells instead).