Author Topic: Headphone recommendation  (Read 19479 times)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Headphone recommendation
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 27 June 2010, 13:02:25 »
Don't say the N-word on this forum.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline noctua

Headphone recommendation
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 27 June 2010, 13:05:51 »
The advantage in an "professional" music store, you can test directly if these are light and
comfortable and the most important you can hear it with different audio materials..
Selfmade Keyboard I (done)
DT225 CH Trackball

Selfmade Keyboard II (95% completed)
L-Trac CST2545W-RC Trackball

both use Cherry MX Blue switches, an Teensy++ controller and have an Colemak layout

Offline noctua

Headphone recommendation
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 27 June 2010, 13:11:54 »
Last but not least, in an store you can compare different headphones, simultaneously..
Selfmade Keyboard I (done)
DT225 CH Trackball

Selfmade Keyboard II (95% completed)
L-Trac CST2545W-RC Trackball

both use Cherry MX Blue switches, an Teensy++ controller and have an Colemak layout

Offline pfink

Headphone recommendation
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 27 June 2010, 14:08:50 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;196950
Don't say the N-word on this forum.

Nudnik?

Offline cryticfarm

Headphone recommendation
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 27 June 2010, 18:13:30 »
holy **** i'm back guys
and i'm actually decent with audio
audio-technica m50 or denon d1000 i'm thinking

Offline pfink

Headphone recommendation
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 20:29:53 »
OK, I ended up getting a pair of the Audio-Technica ATH-M50s's on eBay for $90. They sound pretty good so far, I'll break them in for a couple days and report back.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Headphone recommendation
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 21:25:53 »
I'd be quite interested in your opinion of the treble. Audio Techncia has always had a quirky high end in my experience, say above 13KHz.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline nraymond

Headphone recommendation
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 22:32:50 »
Quote from: pfink;195947
I'm looking for a set of relatively inexpensive (under $150) closed headphones for work. I've got a pair of Grado SR60i's that I like a lot but they're open and too loud for the office.

I've got the following on my short list:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Sennheiser HD448
Sony MDR-V6

Anybody got any opinions on these? Any other recommendations?

Thanks.

Read the ATH-M50's are ok, as are the Sennheiser, the MDR-V6 was my personal first pair of decent closed headphones, bought them 10 years ago, sold them three months ago (very so-so compared to what I have now).

Friend of mine who has auditioned, owned, and sold more headphones than I have eventually settled on Ultrasone, suggested I pick up the PRO 650, and I couldn't be happier.  I paid about $150, they were recently on sale for $99 for a day on special at one of the big online audio stores, and I see they aren't in the current lineup at Ultrasone (hmmm).  Anyway, they are the most balanced of all Ultrasone headphones according to my friend (and others who've tried many different models).

Offline itlnstln

Headphone recommendation
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 01 July 2010, 07:39:34 »
I have the ATH-M50s and I really like them.  I paid about $90 on eBay for them as well about a year ago, I guess.  At the levels I listen (pretty low), the treble is pretty good; I don't fatigue at all.  Truth be told, I haven't listened to a whole lot of classical, jazz or female vocals on them, but I'll bring some to work tomorrow and report back.

Offline pfink

Headphone recommendation
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 15:18:57 »
Quote from: ricercar;198141
I'd be quite interested in your opinion of the treble. Audio Techncia has always had a quirky high end in my experience, say above 13KHz.

OK, so I've been using these for almost a week (mainly at work using an Archos Jukebox jacked into a CMoy amp as source) and I like them a lot.

The high end sounds fine to me. Some of the reviews I'd read said that these 'phones were bass heavy but to my ears they have a pretty balanced sound. The pads conform to my head very snugly (although not uncomfortably) creating a seal that hardly leaks any sound in or out.

One other thing: they sounded better after a couple days of use than they did right out of the box. I'm not going to get into whether that's because of an actual break-in effect or not, however it was definitely noticeable.

Offline niplfsh

Headphone recommendation
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 03:39:16 »
Late to the party, but I'm a HUGE fan of the Sony MDR-V6.  Been using them for years, both in a professional capacity (I used to work in audio production and had a college radio show) and personal (I DJ and use them as my main computer set).  They're built like a tank and have excellent sound for the price.   It's a 20+ year old design.

Not to be confused with the Sony MDR-V600, which are terrible.
"No, Mr. Gold Bond, I expect you to dry."

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Headphone recommendation
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 10 July 2010, 22:08:08 »
I have to agree. I bought my M6 over two decades ago. They're still my workplace phones. The Sony MDR V6 are the Model M of the headphone world.

Offline EverythingIBM

Headphone recommendation
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 11 July 2010, 03:20:39 »
The last sony headphones I used broke.

Sony needs to stick making 10x CD ROM drives to make me happy.

Creative headphones are the only ones that should be used.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Headphone recommendation
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 11 July 2010, 06:15:08 »
Something tells me that Creative don't make good headphones...

Offline gr1m

Headphone recommendation
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 11 July 2010, 07:21:35 »
Some (read one or two) are decent but yeah, in general, Creative headphones aren't great.

Offline Phaedrus2129

Headphone recommendation
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 11 July 2010, 12:48:47 »
Creative headphones aren't terrible. They're just mediocre to average and priced like they're premium. I mean, I'd certainly prefer them to the Logitech **** they're usually stocked alongside, but I demoed one of their $60 headsets once, and it doesn't compare to these $35 JVCs.
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
Headphone recommendation
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 11 July 2010, 13:12:00 »
I've got three sets of originally-supplied-with-PMPs Creative earbuds. Aside from the fact that they're earbuds (which makes them pretty awful in form alone), they sound..."acceptable".

Pretty poor bass but the quality is there. Limited distortion, they play whatever you want them to, they simply don't put out much bass at all (in the sense that it simply won't be heard, rather than being turned into a nasty distorted vibration like other cheap sets).

As for their better headphone products...couldn't tell ya.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Headphone recommendation
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 11 July 2010, 14:25:32 »
As long as headphones work I'm happy.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Headphone recommendation
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 11 July 2010, 15:14:11 »
Quote from: Phaedrus2129;201622
Creative headphones aren't terrible. They're just mediocre to average and priced like they're premium. I mean, I'd certainly prefer them to the Logitech **** they're usually stocked alongside, but I demoed one of their $60 headsets once, and it doesn't compare to these $35 JVCs.

Logitech's computer speakers are great. I have a Z-2300 and the sound they put out is amazing - shaking the room at relatively low volume kind of amazing.

Offline gr1m

Headphone recommendation
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 11 July 2010, 15:25:08 »
Quote from: ch_123;201669
Logitech's computer speakers are great. I have a Z-2300 and the sound they put out is amazing - shaking the room at relatively low volume kind of amazing.

I was going to take an SS with big red circles surrounding the word "Headphone" in both the title and the post you quoted, but I figured I could just tell you and achieve the desired effect with less effort.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Headphone recommendation
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 11 July 2010, 15:37:53 »
I know, I was just raising the somewhat related point that Logitech make great speakers.

As for headphones, I'm happy with my rather expensive pair of Beyerdynamics.

Offline phillip

Headphone recommendation
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 11 July 2010, 16:21:50 »
meh.  not a fan of logitech computer speakers.  i've owned quite a few sets, but all the money i put into them could have gotten me nicer speakers.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Headphone recommendation
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 11 July 2010, 17:14:18 »
My niece gave me these nice old Creative computer speakers with a woofer. Although they don't beat my good old phonograph sound system's speakers, they're still pretty good. Just got to make sure the volume ain't up too high or else my neighbors across the woods will hear me log on to windows.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Headphone recommendation
« Reply #73 on: Sun, 11 July 2010, 19:38:36 »
Like so?
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline EverythingIBM

Headphone recommendation
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 11 July 2010, 19:39:22 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;201722
My niece gave me these nice old Creative computer speakers with a woofer. Although they don't beat my good old phonograph sound system's speakers, they're still pretty good. Just got to make sure the volume ain't up too high or else my neighbors across the woods will hear me log on to windows.

I love the windows 98 log on sound, I've found the kids laughing when logging off a little weird though.

Quote from: kishy;201632
I've got three sets of originally-supplied-with-PMPs Creative earbuds. Aside from the fact that they're earbuds (which makes them pretty awful in form alone), they sound..."acceptable".

Pretty poor bass but the quality is there. Limited distortion, they play whatever you want them to, they simply don't put out much bass at all (in the sense that it simply won't be heard, rather than being turned into a nasty distorted vibration like other cheap sets).

As for their better headphone products...couldn't tell ya.

HA! That's why I've been using my Creative SBS20s for 8 years, they're TREBLE. I hate bass, it's stupid. BOOM BOOM BOOM. Boom your ass! It's crap! Treble is where all of the melodies are. Get angry at me if you want, but music consists of treble and MELODY, not noise, repeating drum loops with obnoxious vocals.
Bass is good if you're listening to chip tunes... yeah... because they can't even use bass, they're all 8-bit treble sharp goodness. None of that muffled crap they call "music".

I should add that you need a LITTLE bit of bass, 100% pure treble is even a little bit too much, although it's worthy to note I can turn all of the bass off on my SBS20s. Yeah... you can actually control the bass, treble, volume -- even has a mute button. Most of the minimalistic crappy speakers today only have a volume button -- um... WHAT IF I WANT TO CHANGE SOME PARAMETERS?
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 July 2010, 19:41:25 by EverythingIBM »

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
Headphone recommendation
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 11 July 2010, 20:25:04 »
Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement;201755
Like so?

Ewwwwwwwwwww. Bad!
kishy.ca

Offline EverythingIBM

Headphone recommendation
« Reply #76 on: Sun, 11 July 2010, 20:35:50 »
Quote from: kishy;201768
Ewwwwwwwwwww. Bad!

Has the same quality of the stupid apple bootup noise.

I hate the mac boot noise. The PC 300 has a better internal speaker than those pieces of mac rubbish (and it's already bad!).

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
Headphone recommendation
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 11 July 2010, 21:06:49 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;201771
Has the same quality of the stupid apple bootup noise.

I hate the mac boot noise. The PC 300 has a better internal speaker than those pieces of mac rubbish (and it's already bad!).

Disagree, 300PL-era Macs (Performa/LC/Quadra 5xx I believe) have decent* internal speakers - and STEREO, imagine that!

*: considering the size of the things, physical location within the case and all that. And plus, only all-in-ones have internal speakers anyway.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 July 2010, 21:11:56 by kishy »
kishy.ca

Offline EverythingIBM

Headphone recommendation
« Reply #78 on: Sun, 11 July 2010, 21:12:56 »
Quote from: kishy;201784
Disagree, 300PL-era Macs (Performa/LC/Quadra 5xx I believe) have decent internal speakers - and STEREO, imagine that!

Nah, I listened to all the mac speakers, they're crap. No OEM-built-in speakers are any good. Stereo or not, it doesn't mean anything. That just means you'll have TWO ****ty speakers.

I don't mind vintage apple stuff for collecting/money purposes, but beyond that, they're not usable. They're more of a console than a computer.

Offline pfink

Headphone recommendation
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 12 July 2010, 17:11:03 »
Quote from: niplfsh;200924
Late to the party, but I'm a HUGE fan of the Sony MDR-V6.  Been using them for years, both in a professional capacity (I used to work in audio production and had a college radio show) and personal (I DJ and use them as my main computer set).  They're built like a tank and have excellent sound for the price.   It's a 20+ year old design.

Yeah, I'm sure I'll pick up a pair of MDR-V6's eventually. Now that I'm pretty much done buying keyboards I'll probably start going overboard trying different headphones.

I just bought a pair of DBI Pro-700's on eBay for $29.95 after reading a lot of good things about them at Head-Fi.

Offline nraymond

Headphone recommendation
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 16:33:25 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;201787
I don't mind vintage apple stuff for collecting/money purposes, but beyond that, they're not usable. They're more of a console than a computer.

When I was in high school, I remember playing Star Control on a friend's PC in his dorm that had no sound card, just the simple PC speaker that usually went beep, but that game could actually play digitized sounds and music (which was Amiga MOD file based 4 track music) through the PC speaker, and let me tell you, every single Mac built-in speaker sounds awesome compared to that, yet I'd call Star Control with sound/music on PC Speaker usable.  Do I have dedicated, amplified speakers hooked up to all my computers now (Macs/PCs/workstations)?  Sure do, but those speakers are well above usable.

(Not everyone uses vague terms like usable/good the same way, and until a discussion formalizes the meaning of qualifying terms, the discussion can't move forward easily.)

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Headphone recommendation
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 23:30:33 »
> a discussion formalizes the meaning of qualifying terms

Qualified: Microsoft Windows is a troll, who posts here to get a reaction to his arcane opinions. He doesn't actually seem to have any valid opinions about the keyboards except those made before 1990 or so.

Qualified: Everything IBM seems to be his next of kin.

Offline EverythingIBM

Headphone recommendation
« Reply #82 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 01:29:12 »
Quote from: ricercar;203213
> a discussion formalizes the meaning of qualifying terms

Qualified: Microsoft Windows is a troll, who posts here to get a reaction to his arcane opinions. He doesn't actually seem to have any valid opinions about the keyboards except those made before 1990 or so.

Qualified: Everything IBM seems to be his next of kin.

Ricercar: one of ch_123's henchmen.

I like my 1997 KB-8923 keyboards btw. MW just has some cool old stuff, and doesn't throw perfectly useful computers away: while everyone raves about iMacs iPods, and all that "i" crap.
It sickens me how wasteful and greedy people are with new technology.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Headphone recommendation
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 19:39:53 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;203249
Ricercar: one of ch_123's henchmen

ooh. I'm a hench-troll now. I always wanted to be a second fiddle.

Offline nraymond

Headphone recommendation
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 17 July 2010, 20:56:06 »
Quote from: pfink;202060
Yeah, I'm sure I'll pick up a pair of MDR-V6's eventually. Now that I'm pretty much done buying keyboards I'll probably start going overboard trying different headphones.

I just bought a pair of DBI Pro-700's on eBay for $29.95 after reading a lot of good things about them at Head-Fi.

Being a headphone geek myself, you surprised me with mention of the DBI Pro-700, since I hadn't really heard of them... I bought them, and wow, best $30 pair of headphones I've heard.  I can understand why they MSRP for $180, they're built for music listening stations in stores, and while they aren't perfect, they are actually very good!  Better than the MDR-V6, hands down.  Thanks for mentioning them.

Offline pfink

Headphone recommendation
« Reply #85 on: Mon, 19 July 2010, 13:34:33 »
Quote from: nraymond;203745
Being a headphone geek myself, you surprised me with mention of the DBI Pro-700, since I hadn't really heard of them... I bought them, and wow, best $30 pair of headphones I've heard.  I can understand why they MSRP for $180, they're built for music listening stations in stores, and while they aren't perfect, they are actually very good!  Better than the MDR-V6, hands down.  Thanks for mentioning them.

Mine arrived today. I'm listening to them now and am honestly shocked at how good they sound for $30.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Headphone recommendation
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 19 July 2010, 15:11:07 »
Quote from: ricercar;203469
ooh. I'm a hench-troll now. I always wanted to be a second fiddle.

You have some pretty big boots to fill.

Offline pfink

Headphone recommendation
« Reply #87 on: Tue, 20 July 2010, 15:40:50 »
Quote from: nraymond;203745

If you also bought yours from the eBay listing I posted it looks like we may have lucked out. Some people ended up getting completely different headphones:

I ordered DBI Pro-700, and got some random headphone...
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 July 2010, 15:43:21 by pfink »

Offline gr1m

Headphone recommendation
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 20 July 2010, 15:43:01 »
Quote from: pfink;204621
If you also bought yours from the eBay listing I posted it looks like we may have lucked out. Some people ended up getting completely different headphones:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/503008/i-ordered-dbi-pro-700-and-got-some-random-headphone

Lol tipsycoma. Biggest moron at OCN - he has infected Headfi too, oh God. Let's hope he doesn't discover mechanical keyboards and join Geekhack. Not that is has anything to do with the headphone issue, sorry for OT :p

Offline pfink

Headphone recommendation
« Reply #89 on: Fri, 06 August 2010, 10:44:47 »
Quote from: ripster;196728
Screw Creative.  I'd look at somebody that knows something about professional audio like those Shures.  Those sound like the ones to beat at that price point.
Show Image

I picked up a pair of the Shure SRH440's last week. I think I like the sound of the Audio Technicas a little better, however IMO the Shures are more comfortable for long listening sessions.

Surprisingly, the DBI-Pro 700's that I picked up new for $30 on eBay sound better than either of them (or maybe not so surprising since the MSRP of the DBIs is $199.) They're not too bad comfort-wise, either.

They are butt-ugly, though:

I ended up modding them by removing the steel cable armor (Yikes! It made the cable weigh more than the 'phones) and replacing the 3.5mm stereo jack. Definitely recommended if any more show up on eBay for that price.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Headphone recommendation
« Reply #90 on: Fri, 06 August 2010, 17:52:40 »
MB Quart based, but with custom drivers, interesting. Those are typically used as theft-proof demo phones. On a side note, what once was MB / Peerless MB now goes under the somewhat awkward name of "German Maestro".
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline Phaedrus2129

Headphone recommendation
« Reply #91 on: Fri, 06 August 2010, 20:52:56 »
I don't know if I've posted in here...

JVC HA-RX700 headphones are $35 shipped at Amazon. This is by far the best bang for the buck for headphones. Period.
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline Terrysko

• Optimizing, modifying, perfecting, my lifestyle!
JVC HA-RX700 Headphones
« Reply #92 on: Sat, 07 August 2010, 19:12:51 »
Quote from: Phaedrus2129;210030
JVC HA-RX700 headphones are $35 shipped at Amazon. This is by far the best bang for the buck for headphones. Period.

For rock fans a challenging deal, well accentuated bass sound and 48 Ohm input impedance. So It can be used for nearly all headphone amps. Thanks for the information.
"We approach manufacturing by applying unique ideas and technologies to satisfy real-world needs." - Topre Corporation

Wishlist: Topre Realforce 105U;

Offline stars1

Headphone recommendation
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 08 August 2010, 22:00:24 »
Quote from: pfink;195947
I'm looking for a set of relatively inexpensive (under $150) closed headphones for work. I've got a pair of Grado SR60i's that I like a lot but they're open and too loud for the office.

I've got the following on my short list:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Sennheiser HD448
Sony MDR-V6

Anybody got any opinions on these? Any other recommendations?

Thanks.

I've never used above headphones you mentioned. Bought several headphones before. And now I am using a 5.1 Surround Headphone which I got from sourcingmap about three months ago. This lightweight and comfortable Headphone is perfect for PC gaming and Adjustable microphone is perfect for online gaming or internet calling.

Offline gr1m