Author Topic: Hello from an American in Scotland (Glasgow)  (Read 750 times)

Offline Rgzoro

Hello from an American in Scotland (Glasgow)
« on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 15:45:26 »
What began with looking for one thing in a keyboard became a rabbit hole that lead me to create an account here.  After a week of research I decided I wanted to build the Quefrency, then I saw that a new model would be out soon but decided to wait.  I have since been distracted with the idea of building a board while I wait for fun.  Something like a 60% that runs on something like a Teensy but isn't mini-USB.  The two things stopping me are finding the components in the UK at the moment, and more importantly, not knowing what can be used in place of a mini-USB teensy.  I look forward to rummaging through the forums here to hopefully help me understand things better.  This looks like a really fun hobby to add to the collection and I look forward to it (although my fun funds may not).

Offline Maledicted

Re: Hello from an American in Scotland (Glasgow)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 20:48:46 »
Welcome to Geekhack, Rgzoro.

What's wrong with mini USB? Seems to be the last USB standard that had any strength to it. Type C seems better than micro, but micro is literally terrible, and I have seen at least 1 destroyed type c connector already in less than 1 year since first getting them on the student laptops in the school in which I work.

Pro Micros have micro usb, otherwise you could get a short pigtail adapter cable, probably even panel mountable, to whatever standard connector you like. I mod aviator connectors into the cases of a lot of my retail keyboards.

Offline DrivenKeys

• go down clickin', dawg
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 21:17:38 »
Agreed about mini usb, it's much more reliable. Connectors see a lot of abuse. My Ducky One has micro, and my Leopold has mini.  I feel like I'm going to break something every time I remove or insert my Ducky's cable. USB-C has too many tiny, tightly spaced pins. I've had several USB-C devices and cables loose significant reliability with minimum strain put on the socket.
1994 Lexmark Model M, Unicomp EnduraPro, Leopold FC900R (MX Clears), Ducky One White LED (MX Whites), Das Keyboard X50q (love them Omrons!)

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 21:28:16 »
Agreed about mini usb, it's much more reliable. Connectors see a lot of abuse. My Ducky One has micro, and my Leopold has mini.  I feel like I'm going to break something every time I remove or insert my Ducky's cable. USB-C has too many tiny, tightly spaced pins. I've had several USB-C devices and cables loose significant reliability with minimum strain put on the socket.

Yes, I agree on the pin spacing and ... relative sloppy fit of usb type c. The teacher laptops at work have port replicators/docks that they connect to through type c. Those cables NEVER seem to be seated straight. I wasn't surprised at all when one of them suddenly stopped outputting any video at all through type c.

mini usb is as solid as a rock. Even the cables seem to be made a lot better. I can't say I have ever seen a badly-made mini usb cable.