Author Topic: Is the cherry white switch discontinued?  (Read 3729 times)

Offline chanmin kang

Is the cherry white switch discontinued?
« on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 20:01:17 »
I wanted a relatively quiet click switch, so I looked for a cherry white switch.

However, Cherry White switches are not sold by reliable sources provided by Cherry.

The official sources provided by cherrymx.de are five companies: reichelt, candykeys, novelkeys, arrow, and greendich enterprise.co.

but, none of these five companies could find Cherry mx White.

Does this mean the discontinuation of the cherry white switch?

Offline Findecanor

Re: Is the cherry white switch discontinued?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 20:37:35 »
There have been a couple different variations of it, that have reportedly been practically identical to some variations of Cherry MX Blue (light) or the Cherry MX Green (heavy), respectively.
I wouldn't be surprised if Cherry had chosen to discontinue it, as there have been some confusion between the variations and the Cherry MX "Clear" (which has a milky translucent white slider).

BTW. If you have a keyboard with the LED window "south" ("down" / towards you), you could make a sound-damped clicky switch. Use a Gateron Blue (or just the slider) and put QMX clips on the switch. Gateron click-collar stems are the only clicky-switch stems I have found that fit QMX clips: other sliders have a small knob that interferes with them.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 March 2020, 20:47:16 by Findecanor »

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 20:40:35 »
There have been a couple different variations of it, that have reportedly been practically identical to some variations of Cherry MX Blue (light) or the Cherry MX Green (heavy), respectively.
I wouldn't be surprised if Cherry had chosen to discontinue it, as there have been some confusion between the variations and the Cherry MX "Clear" (which has a milky translucent white slider).

BTW. If you have a keyboard with the LED window "south" ("down" / towards you), you could make a sound-damped clicky switch. Use a Gateron Blue (or just the slider) and put QMX clips on the switch. Gateron click-collar stems are the only clicky-switch stems I have found that fit QMX clips: other sliders have a small knob that interferes with them.

The whites are good though

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 20:49:05 »
I tested a couple loose MX White switches (from 2012 or so) against MX Green and I don't feel or hear any difference.
Some vintage MX White might be more silent and smoother, but I would say that applies to vintage MX Blue as well.

Offline envyy24

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 04:02:06 »
I tested a couple loose MX White switches (from 2012 or so) against MX Green and I don't feel or hear any difference.
Some vintage MX White might be more silent and smoother, but I would say that applies to vintage MX Blue as well.

I have only used vintage mx blue until I move from cherry, I wasn't even aware that there is a difference between vintage blue and today blue. To my memory, vintage mx blue is very pleasant to use, as the feedback to fingers is clear and the sound is subtle. I actually love the sound. It is a pity that over time it become too light for me so needed to move on.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 10:11:25 »

I have only used vintage mx blue until I move from cherry, I wasn't even aware that there is a difference between vintage blue and today blue. To my memory, vintage mx blue is very pleasant to use, as the feedback to fingers is clear and the sound is subtle. I actually love the sound. It is a pity that over time it become too light for me so needed to move on.

you can always go back and spring swap it to something heavier  ;)
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 11:32:31 »
Cherry still makes MX whites, you get plate mount ones from https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=64. They are just not popular so I think they make much less of them compared to their other switches. Although I'm gonna be honest with you, they are pretty inconsistent switches IME. They grease the click collars on MX whites since they were originally meant to be just a switch that provided hysteresis & not click (MX white actually predates MX blue). Which in practice ends up with some switches that click just as loudly as MX blue/green, some that softly click like what you're looking for, & some that do not click at all. If you're determined to use MX whites I suggest grabbing double the amount you need so you can cherry pick (LOL, pun not intended) enough that sound/feel the same to do a whole build.

Offline typo

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 22 March 2020, 14:58:18 »
IT used to be only German cherry could make cherry good. Now places such as china Can make better switches often times. Plenty of junk too. so watch out. I like Whites too. Getting an entire board uniform shall be tricky.

Offline noahrockwell

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 22 March 2020, 23:11:26 »
Cherry still makes MX whites

Offline DrivenKeys

• portfolio
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 02:03:56 »
I believe I saw somewhere on mechanicalkeyboards.com that Whites were recently discontinued, as they are very similar to Greens. Searching their stock of newer boards seems to confirm this: Some Ducky Ones are available with whites, but no Ducky One 2's, or any other newer models I could find. Older boards and switches are still sold now, but when those are gone, will more stock be produced?

Using my Ducky One with Whites, it's true that the switches can be inconsistent at times, but things smooth out when typing quickly. Since it's mostly lube dampening the click, I suspect they'll get more regular with age. Regardless, the extra force of the Whites makes me pretty happy. I can rest my fingers on the keys without activating, much like my Model M. I hope that the Greens can do the same, it really relaxes my extensors.
1994 Lexmark Model M, Unicomp EnduraPro, EP84/KC84 (Box Navies with gpl107) Leopold FC900R (MX Clears), Ducky One (MX Whites), Das X50q