Author Topic: Is there a such thing as Kailh Box Silent Brown switches?  (Read 862 times)

Online zslane

Is there a such thing as Kailh Box Silent Brown switches?
« on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 13:02:14 »
I like Kailh BOX switches, but I prefer silenced/damped switches. The only silenced MX-type switches I know of are silent red and black. Are there any silent BOX switches? And in particular, BOX Brown?

Offline Findecanor

• Low Social Media Credit Score
Re: Is there a such thing as Kailh Box Silent Brown switches?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 14:07:33 »
What's so special about BOX switches?

Silenced Brown: Gateron Silent Brown, of which KbdFans' Aliaz switch is a variant
"I'm sorry, a rain drop literally pushed "Submit" on this retarded touchscreen phone"

Offline Sup

• Supkbd
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 14:36:56 »
nope
Https://Supkbd.nl

Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs |
Coming soon Rukia.

Rest in peace Billy

Offline envyy24

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 17:29:30 »
Don't think so, because they have trouble to even make the tactile box switch work properly so it is unlikely that they can make silent. To clarify: box brown can turn clicky! Yes, quite hilarious.

Online zslane

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 12:05:34 »
What's so special about BOX switches?

Silenced Brown: Gateron Silent Brown, of which KbdFans' Aliaz switch is a variant

Two things: BOX switches seem to have less wobble, but they also lack the plastic standoff legs that make it impossible to install on most hotswap boards (without a lot of snipping work I don't want to do).

Offline envyy24

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 03:31:08 »
Hey just want to pop in here and say I m very very wrong.

Apparently Kailh just releases the silent box switches, avail on aliexpress now.

Online Maledicted

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 09:55:03 »

Apparently Kailh just releases the silent box switches, avail on aliexpress now.

That's fantastic news. I may have to pick up some silent reds, maybe. I had already been thinking about trying silent Cherry MX reds, due to how some people seem to rave about them, and I already use the non silent version with my gaming rig anyway.

Offline envyy24

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 10:41:32 »

That's fantastic news. I may have to pick up some silent reds, maybe. I had already been thinking about trying silent Cherry MX reds, due to how some people seem to rave about them, and I already use the non silent version with my gaming rig anyway.

Ha ha I cant wait and already order a bag of silent brown. I know the box brown has let me down but all and all it still is a very unique tactile switch due to the clickbar mechanism. I really prefer that sharp feedback over the rounded feeling of cherry design. If this goes right, I can say bye to the T1 and commit my life fully to box switches.

Online Maledicted

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 10:48:34 »

Ha ha I cant wait and already order a bag of silent brown. I know the box brown has let me down but all and all it still is a very unique tactile switch due to the clickbar mechanism. I really prefer that sharp feedback over the rounded feeling of cherry design. If this goes right, I can say bye to the T1 and commit my life fully to box switches.

Kaihua seems to usually be pretty perceptive of criticism. Maybe they've resolved the linearisation problem with their tactiles? I agree on box brown feeling. Literally the only modern tactile family I have tried (I haven't tried any fancy boutique switches) that wasn't terrible.

Which switches have they even silenced so far? It would be pretty humorous if they even did it to their thunderous clickies, like navies.

Offline envyy24

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 11:09:35 »
They are offering box silence brown - tactile, and box silent link - linear as of now. To my understanding, they are silencing their oem switches. The thick  click bar (jade and navy) switches are in collab with novel keys so i guess they are not touching them for now?

Online Maledicted

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 11:28:08 »
They are offering box silence brown - tactile, and box silent link - linear as of now. To my understanding, they are silencing their oem switches. The thick  click bar (jade and navy) switches are in collab with novel keys so i guess they are not touching them for now?

Have they got specs on these anywhere else? I wonder what the heck they mean by "Operational Force". That product page literally uses the words red and pink interchangeably. Interesting that there's a box pink clicky ... but now there's a box pink linear, if any of this is even translated properly.

Only rated to 1/10th of the cycles of regular box switches? That must be a typo.

Why not, let's roll the dice. I ordered two packs of 70 of the silent "pink" switches. I suppose it is about time I get a hot swap board for them as well then.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 April 2020, 11:34:56 by Maledicted »

Online zslane

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 11:38:04 »

Link please? A search on aliexpress failed to turn up the silent box switches. Thanks!

Online Maledicted

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 11:39:54 »

Link please? A search on aliexpress failed to turn up the silent box switches. Thanks!

kailh box Silent Switch Mechanical Keyboard diy RGB/SMD Pink Brown switch Dustproof IP56 waterproof Compatible Cherry MX
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 April 2020, 15:44:51 by Maledicted »

Offline envyy24

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 12:04:14 »

https://kailh.aliexpress.com/store/4670072?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.13e5d06fkabL8N

Just on their official store page, there is a banner for this new product

Have they got specs on these anywhere else? I wonder what the heck they mean by "Operational Force". That product page literally uses the words red and pink interchangeably. Interesting that there's a box pink clicky ... but now there's a box pink linear, if any of this is even translated properly.

Only rated to 1/10th of the cycles of regular box switches? That must be a typo.

Why not, let's roll the dice. I ordered two packs of 70 of the silent "pink" switches. I suppose it is about time I get a hot swap board for them as well then.

Looking at the chart I think operational force = actuation force. Because they point to the the actuation point in the chart when they talk about operational force.

And with the pink and red thing, one person from another mech group Im in, who regularly is in contact with suppliers in China and specializes in Kailh products, said that initially they started with silent red box switch since there is already a pink clicky switch. Then essentially they changed because they don't want to be confused with cherry silent red. But again, the source is just a person on the internet so please take that with a grain of salt.

Offline Bella_Hwang

• * Commercial Vendor
    • www.kailhswitch.com
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 22:10:04 »
I like Kailh BOX switches, but I prefer silenced/damped switches. The only silenced MX-type switches I know of are silent red and black. Are there any silent BOX switches? And in particular, BOX Brown?

https://twitter.com/KailhSwitch/status/1239791913361788931  KAILH SILENT BOX SWITCH
Dongguan City Kaihua Electronics Co,Ltd

http://www.kailhswitch.com
http://www.kailh.com
Email:sales12@kailh.com

Online Maledicted

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 22:34:37 »

https://twitter.com/KailhSwitch/status/1239791913361788931  KAILH SILENT BOX SWITCH

Nice. We've summoned Kaihua themselves, hopefully without the use of goat sacrifice.

These look great and all, but a common complaint with Cherry MX and Kailh box red switches is that they're already too light. Is there a reason that these silent switches are even lighter? Are the springs the same as in the other box designs? I might have to order some stiffer ones.

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 23:57:00 »

Nice. We've summoned Kaihua themselves, hopefully without the use of goat sacrifice.

These look great and all, but a common complaint with Cherry MX and Kailh box red switches is that they're already too light. Is there a reason that these silent switches are even lighter? Are the springs the same as in the other box designs? I might have to order some stiffer ones.

I think we will see other variations not long after these are live.  :D
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 00:28:51 »
The published force graph and figures of the "Kailh Silent Brown Box" do remind me more of something that would go head-to-head against Zilents V2 rather than Gateron Silent Brown: 65gf tactile peak at 0.6 mm travel !!

I'm looking forward to reviews .. and testing it myself.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 April 2020, 04:45:51 by Findecanor »
"I'm sorry, a rain drop literally pushed "Submit" on this retarded touchscreen phone"

Offline envyy24

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 02:18:14 »
Even in their tweets, they say it is silent box red lol

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 04:44:48 »
They are releasing both. The tactile is mentioned only briefly in the comments.

See the announcement thread. (I'm sorry I thought the link had been posted above. I edit my previous post with link to the datasheet)
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 April 2020, 05:08:56 by Findecanor »

Offline envyy24

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 07:25:11 »
They are releasing both. The tactile is mentioned only briefly in the comments.

See the announcement thread. (I'm sorry I thought the link had been posted above. I edit my previous post with link to the datasheet)

No you dont get it, on their aliexpress store they call it both red switch and pink switch. The linear one. So me and others in here have talked about how the terms have been used interchangeably.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 07:53:21 »
on their aliexpress store they call it both red switch and pink switch.
Yeah, Kailh is not well-known to be very consistent in writing (...). The datasheet even includes a footprint for a switch with fixing pins, but a variation with fixing pins can't be found anywhere: I think that no Box switch has even been seen with any. Other switches' specs have also been slightly different on different pages and data sheets ...

I suppose that "Silent Red Box" is supposed to be the official name but that the slider is pink only to match the switch named "Cherry MX Silent Red" which also actually has a pink-ish slider.
Some keyboard manufacturers,  such as Filco have even taken upon themselves to call the latter switch "Cherry MX Pink" ...
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 April 2020, 11:55:33 by Findecanor »

Online zslane

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 11:52:26 »
Thanks, guys! You all rock!