Author Topic: ABS M1 - Coming back under a new name (with Cherry MX Blues)  (Read 24991 times)

Offline patrickgeekhack

ABS M1 - Coming back under a new name (with Cherry MX Blues)
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 08 July 2010, 11:12:16 »
I've been curious to what a plate-mounted Blue Cherry keyboard feel like. But, it's going to be a relatively expensive keyboard on Newegg.ca. The main advantage of buying from Newegg.ca is that they don't charge a lot in terms of custom broker fee. I'll wait and see what the price is going to be. It's not available on the Canadian site yet.

EDIT: I have to say that the Rosewill logo is one ugly logo though.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 July 2010, 11:20:25 by patrickgeekhack »

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 09:52:31 »
The Rosewill logo just looks kind of nostalgic and 1950s ish to me, which isn't ugly to me.  Makes me think of warm summer days, kids with ice cream and baseball.  They could do better, but it isn't bad.

The ducky logo makes me laugh, so it isn't like it is oozing suave sophistication, either.

Ugly:
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 09:57:27 »
Quote from: washuai;202940
The Rosewill logo just looks kind of nostalgic and 1950s ish to me, which isn't ugly to me.  Makes me think of warm summer days, kids with ice cream and baseball.  They could do better, but it isn't bad.

It reminds of the Pepsi logo.

Offline washuai

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 10:03:21 »
I think the association I have is because I've seen a lot of raglan shirts with similar font.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 13:18:58 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;202941
It reminds of the Pepsi logo.
Show Image

Actually I think it looks more like the Coca-Cola logo.

Offline washuai

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 13:22:55 »
Coca Cola makes me think of baseball, too.  Wonder why.

✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 13:25:45 »
Quote from: itlnstln;203010
Actually I think it looks more like the Coca-Cola logo.

True.

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 15:16:05 »
I always thought Newegg calls their house brand Rosewill because their office is on Rose Hills Road.

Here's why it reminds us of baseball:

Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 15:48:32 »
You all know what reminds me of baseball?

A bunch of dumb guys on steroids running around a field.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 17:00:29 »
You know what reminds me of baseball?

When your mom swings on my bat and plays with my balls.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 17:58:16 »
You know what reminds me of baseball? Smashing apple computers with baseball bats. And cause I hate baseball, I think it's one of the most boring things to watch (I hate macs and think they're boring too).
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 18:13:28 »
Mmm... The printer destruction scene from Office Space. :)

The student club at my old college once held a office copier destruction contest. The team from the CS department won, of course.
🍉

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 18:24:22 »
Baseball? That's one of those quaint past-times they have in America to differentiate themselves from the colonies?
Current collection: HHKB Pro 2 black on black, HHKB Pro 2 white/grey blank, [strike]Dell AT101W[/strike] (sold to SirClickAlot), 1992 Model M, Key Tronic Ergoforce KT 2001, BTC 5100 C. Dead boards: MS Natural Elite, MS Natural 4000.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 21:00:23 »
Quote from: washuai;202940

I recently went to a baseball game.  Although I was tempted to leave early, I'm very glad I didn't.  Would have missed the biggest major league bottom of the 9th comeback since 1901.  Guess you just never know.

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 19 July 2010, 11:08:29 »
The item has been deactivated already. Oh Rosewill RK-9000, we hardly knew ye.

I emailed Rosewill and will tell you if they reply as to whether or not the keyboard has been discontinued. Newegg doesn't seem to have a contact method for questions about items.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 July 2010, 11:13:12 by muchadoaboutnothing »

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 20 July 2010, 08:23:24 »
And it's back with no change in pricing or information as to why it was taken down. Ho hum.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 20 July 2010, 08:48:50 »
Whoever wrote about the keyboard's specifications was an idiot.

Now, first off, the picture shows a black keyboard. So we already know it's black. Second, why brag about how a USB keyboard works with Windows Vista? Any USB keyboard will work with Windows Vista. Third, it's a keyboard. So why would there be a mouse included when the picture shows only a keyboard and it says absolutely nothing about a mouse? And I also know for a fact that USB keyboards can work in Windows 3.1 (if you get the driver), Windows 95C, Windows 98, Windows 98SE, Windows ME, and on any Apple computer made in the last decade. NOT just 2000, 2003, XP, Vista, and 7.

I'm not buying a thing from these retards.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 20 July 2010, 09:34:55 »
I think the description is adequate and your comments are unnecessarily harsh.  I buy from Newegg all the time.
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow

Offline gr1m

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 20 July 2010, 10:02:31 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;204500

Show Image

Now, first off, the picture shows a black keyboard. So we already know it's black. Second, why brag about how a USB keyboard works with Windows Vista? Any USB keyboard will work with Windows Vista. Third, it's a keyboard. So why would there be a mouse included when the picture shows only a keyboard and it says absolutely nothing about a mouse? And I also know for a fact that USB keyboards can work in Windows 3.1 (if you get the driver), Windows 95C, Windows 98, Windows 98SE, Windows ME, and on any Apple computer made in the last decade. NOT just 2000, 2003, XP, Vista, and 7.

Sweet mother of God, you're totally serious aren't you?

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 20 July 2010, 10:18:28 »

Now, first off, the picture shows a black keyboard. So we already know it's black.
Not if you're using a text web browser, are disabled or are simply searching for that attribute.  The image is not generally going to be searchable.

Second, why brag about how a USB keyboard works with Windows Vista? Any USB keyboard will work with Windows Vista.
It's not bragging, many OEM's didn't release support for drivers under Vista, so if you have multimedia keys or special functions they might not work.  Generic driver, yes.  Specific driver or software bundle to support all of the keyboard's functionality, not always.

Third, it's a keyboard. So why would there be a mouse included when the picture shows only a keyboard and it says absolutely nothing about a mouse?
Because some are bundled.

And I also know for a fact that USB keyboards can work in Windows 3.1 (if you get the driver), Windows 95C, Windows 98, Windows 98SE, Windows ME, and on any Apple computer made in the last decade. NOT just 2000, 2003, XP, Vista, and 7.
Yes, but only if you have a driver, that's a big IF and you're only talking for generic input, leaving out the special functions many keyboards have.  And don't forget, no one gives a rip about windows 3.1.  Other than being a novelty, it has no practical modern purpose whatsoever.

It sounds like you should stick to the dumpsters behind thrift stores, where they put the things that even they can't sell.

Seriously man, you're really digging for something to complain about.  Lighten up and enjoy life, not everything has to be a critique.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 20 July 2010, 10:46:57 »
I just always laughed at those descriptions and had a good opportunity to make fun of one.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 20 July 2010, 10:53:45 »
Quote from: didjamatic;204514
It sounds like you should stick to the dumpsters behind thrift stores, where they put the things that even they can't sell.

Seriously man, you're really digging for something to complain about.  Lighten up and enjoy life, not everything has to be a critique.

You made me laugh really hard.

Offline nraymond

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 20 July 2010, 13:23:43 »

Actually Newegg is pretty smart, because they have a "Power Search", which is how I use their site, and one of the biggest reasons I shop with them:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/PowerSearch.aspx?N=100008650&IsNodeId=1&SubCategory=63&GASearch=3

Now their product descriptions could be a lot better - imagine if they actually had a "Key type" section and tracked which keyboards were membrane, scissor switch, mechanical, and perhaps even Cherry type.  Also handy would be a "Simultaneous key down" section, with things like 6-key USB, n-key PS/2, etc.  Things like that would be really, really useful.

However, I have found being able to at least search for all black keyboards that are both USB and PS/2 to be a useful thing that is hard or impossible to do on other sites.  Minor data errors in the Newegg description database, and a lack of the level of detail that I (and I'm sure many of the people here would like) are the things preventing it from being perfect.

Offline Nonmouse

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 22 July 2010, 01:20:52 »
Oy.  Y'all really need to ignore obvious troll.

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 22 July 2010, 07:51:28 »
I was trying to cut back on my trollface usage, otherwise I would have said something earlier.

I think Newegg is more deserving of the trollface. This keyboard is starting to feel like vaporware.

Offline gr1m

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 22 July 2010, 08:19:08 »
Quote from: muchadoaboutnothing;205227
I was trying to cut back on my trollface usage, otherwise I would have said something earlier.

I think Newegg is more deserving of the trollface. This keyboard is starting to feel like vaporware.

You save that stuff for my thread :(

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 22 July 2010, 08:33:11 »
I've set Check4Change in Firefox to check Newegg and Chiefvalue every few minutes and alert me if there's any change (if they decide to relist it again). I don't really get the logic behind the lists/delists.

Quote from: gr1m;205233
You save that stuff for my thread :(

Yeah, but you're less of an obvious troll.

Offline gr1m

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 22 July 2010, 08:37:44 »
Maybe they "suddenly" remembered the RMA horror with the M1 and so delisted it until the NKRO stuff is taken care of?

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 22 July 2010, 08:47:21 »
Quote from: gr1m;205238
Maybe they "suddenly" remembered the RMA horror with the M1 and so delisted it until the NKRO stuff is taken care of?

If they figured that out monday, why did they relist it Tuesday?

Possibly though, hope it comes back.