Author Topic: [IC] The Rabelius - a compact full size  (Read 17668 times)

Offline Whale_algorithm

Re: [IC] The Rabelius - a compact full size
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 19:26:17 »
Would you consider a 2U zero?

Offline Pylon

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 22:50:50 »
Would you consider a 2U zero?

That's...basically the Austin

Offline Buttsecks

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 10:05:21 »
Is there a possibility for a wkl version?

Offline nyc_xela

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 27 July 2020, 08:24:58 »
Definitely love this idea! I hope everything works out, would love to pick one up. :thumb:

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 12 August 2020, 11:13:51 »
I love the idea, but one of the greatest features of the Msyterium/Discipline is the open-source nature of the projects. It looks like you may have had the PCB files available on your git but they've been removed.

Make it so the Gerbers/BOM/case files are open source and easily replicated and you have a real winner on your hands. I'd be the first to order my own PCB's and get a case cut for it. I'd love to get some PCB's made and build this up as I wait for my Austin R2 to get here.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 August 2020, 11:19:42 by clik_clak »

Offline Lord_Rabel

• The geek that doctors trust.
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 12 August 2020, 11:43:22 »
I love the idea, but one of the greatest features of the Msyterium/Discipline is the open-source nature of the projects. It looks like you may have had the PCB files available on your git but they've been removed.

Make it so the Gerbers/BOM/case files are open source and easily replicated and you have a real winner on your hands. I'd be the first to order my own PCB's and get a case cut for it. I'd love to get some PCB's made and build this up as I wait for my Austin R2 to get here.

I know. Open source projects are amazing. I too wanted to make it open source. However the PCB files aren't great. That's why I took them down. I know a laser made case would be cool, no doubt and I would be really interested in designing a rev2 of this board and making it open to the public, but I sadly don't have the possibilities to prototype and stuff right now. So maybe in future? I hope so

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 12 August 2020, 12:10:19 »

I know. Open source projects are amazing. I too wanted to make it open source. However the PCB files aren't great. That's why I took them down. I know a laser made case would be cool, no doubt and I would be really interested in designing a rev2 of this board and making it open to the public, but I sadly don't have the possibilities to prototype and stuff right now. So maybe in future? I hope so

What's not great about the PCB files? If the PCB files aren't that good, I wouldn't be interested in purchasing a full keyboard build of this. Releasing the PCB files would be a great way to get help and suggestions from community members to help you refine the PCB. With it only costing around $25 USD for 5 pcb's and another $10'ish in parts for building a PCB up, it's a cheap way to have community members give you feedback. I know I'd be happy to provide it myself.

I bet you'd even get some good suggestions from community members on getting a workable acrylic case for it as well.

Offline Lord_Rabel

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 12 August 2020, 14:59:22 »

What's not great about the PCB files? If the PCB files aren't that good, I wouldn't be interested in purchasing a full keyboard build of this. Releasing the PCB files would be a great way to get help and suggestions from community members to help you refine the PCB. With it only costing around $25 USD for 5 pcb's and another $10'ish in parts for building a PCB up, it's a cheap way to have community members give you feedback. I know I'd be happy to provide it myself.

I bet you'd even get some good suggestions from community members on getting a workable acrylic case for it as well.

Ok yes you got a point there. I will look into it. My schedule is kinda rough, but I will do what I can when I do have time for it ツ

Online bobasweatandtears

• Co-Designer of KAT Great Wave + KAT Space Dust
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 12 August 2020, 18:39:49 »
Good luck! It looks really good. I like how you married some of the highlighted aesthetic features I also really like in other boards together, but also in less-common layout.
In terms of the back design engraving, I'd prefer it was the large logo design came without the text 'rabelius' below. It's not bad as it is, but I think removing the bottom text would make it look better personally.

Offline davisthegreat

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 12 August 2020, 20:01:14 »
I like this alot - 1800 is my fave layout. The logo is a little busy on the back for me and removing the F-row would make it really compact w/o losing the full size feeling. Offer more plate options - Carbon fiber, FR4 and Polycarb would be nice. FR4 at minimum, its cheap and sounds great

Offline engyshow

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 04:34:03 »
Looks amazing... compact full size... :OO yes please!

Offline Starius

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 08:30:51 »
Do you think the GB will go live this year?

Offline Lord_Rabel

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 09:08:19 »
No. I don't really like the design anymore. Sorry i would have to work out a new board and sadly haven't got time for it...

Offline Starius

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 15:49:23 »
No. I don't really like the design anymore. Sorry i would have to work out a new board and sadly haven't got time for it...

Ah sorry to hear that!  :'(