Author Topic: Newbie question on stabilizers  (Read 2536 times)

Offline DreamTwister

Newbie question on stabilizers
« on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 23:13:48 »
Thanks in advance for your input! Are stabilizers something I could add to most retail keyboards? Like say, a Ducky One 2, or a SteelSeries Apex Pro? I have a Glorious GMMK as well and I ordered some for an upcoming Drop CTRL. Should I get them for all keyboards I own?

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
Re: Newbie question on stabilizers
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 23:18:49 »
Thanks in advance for your input! Are stabilizers something I could add to most retail keyboards? Like say, a Ducky One 2, or a SteelSeries Apex Pro? I have a Glorious GMMK as well and I ordered some for an upcoming Drop CTRL. Should I get them for all keyboards I own?

Those all come with stabs. To you mean aftermarket stabs?

Offline Scragg

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 00:49:44 »
for most retail boards I have taken apart, you aren't going to be modding any stabs unless you are bothered enough by whatever kind they have on them to desolder every single switch. I would honestly prefer spending the money to build a brand new board over taking the time to desolder every single switch on a retail board for any reason.

Offline yui

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 01:25:56 »
stabilizers are the parts that allows you to press large keys off center, if your keyboard does not have them the space, shift, enter, backspace and tab keys would be very difficult to use, pretty much all keyboards come with some type of stabilizers some will allow to upgrade to better ones that make less noises of are less scratchy, and if you buy parts to build a keyboard from scratch you will need to by them, but if you buy a keyboard premade you will have them already.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 02:36:21 »
for most retail boards I have taken apart, you aren't going to be modding any stabs unless you are bothered enough by whatever kind they have on them to desolder every single switch. I would honestly prefer spending the money to build a brand new board over taking the time to desolder every single switch on a retail board for any reason.
Plate mounted stabs can be removed without removing switches, quite a lot of boards use plate mounted stabilizers.

Even on PCB mounted stabs you can sometimes remove the spacebar stab with little to no desoldering and it's the one people are most likely to complain about. Not saying it's easy, but it can be done on some boards.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline typo

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 31 May 2020, 22:42:25 »
You can lube them. bandaid them ETC. Or upgrade them. I prefer OEM Cherry. Others like something else. If on a PCB you probably want screw in. Plate mounted I do not bother bandaid. Just Cherry with a lot of lube. If you have Costar or something then probably want to go Cherry IMO. YMMV.