Author Topic: Kailh BOX Silent Browns - First Impressions / Review  (Read 2507 times)

Offline PHYLO

Kailh BOX Silent Browns - First Impressions / Review
« on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 10:53:05 »
Just got a 10 pack of the BOX Silent Browns to test on my Melody96 (hotswap pcb) and simply put; WOW they are a really strong contender for silent switches.

• Tactile bump; decently strong, starts right at the top like Zilents/Zeals, just a tad more prominent than Aliaz's bump, but not as wide of a bump as Zilents/Zeals. They land between the tactility of Aliaz 60g and Zilent V2 62g's, leaning towards Aliaz's tactility. Quite good!
  • Stability of BOX switches. Maybe not as stable as the traditional BOX switches where it's literally a box, but this is only distinguishable in a side-by-side comparison. Easily forgettable. They're very stable compared to non-BOX switches.
  • Quiet; basically the same sound as Aliaz 60g silent switches, which are slightly quieter than Zilents. I don't have a sound test but check out the video link (not mine) below for a Aliaz sound test that gives good idea of what the BOX Silent Browns sound like.
  • Smooooooth(ness); maybe not quite as smooth as Zilents/Zeals but they're almost indistinguishable. I can only tell a difference in a side-by-side comparison. This was a big surprise to me, given BOX switches have usually been scratchier than I'd like simply because of their construction. I believe the circle around the stem played a major roll in smoothing out the BOX switch.
  • IP56 rating; how can we complain about durability improvements in switches? Only a good thing, as long as it doesn't jack up prices (which it didn't)!
  • 3.6mm travel distance; I prefer this for gaming. Although 4mm from Zilents are doable for gaming too. Personal preference, really.
  • All for $6 per 10 pack...! What a freaking bargain.

For 50% the price of my Zilent v2's, I honestly don't know if my Zilent v2's are justified for their price anymore... I think my next tactile build will be entirely BOX Silent Browns.

Anyone else try out the new Kailh BOX Silent Pinks or Browns yet? If so, share your thoughts! Also feel free to ask any questions.

Switches I've tried; Zilent V2 (62g), Sakurios, Aliaz (60g), Hako True / Clear / Violet, Kailh BOX Royal / Pale Blue / Red / Brown / White / Black, Kailh Speed Bronze / Copper / Silver, Pro Purple, Gateron Black / Blue / Brown /Clear / Green / Red, and Cherry MX Brown / Red / Blue.

NOTE: It's worthy to mention that I've never tried a lubed switch. These comparisons are purely from non-lubed switches.

« Last Edit: Thu, 28 May 2020, 12:14:56 by PHYLO »

Offline HungerMechanic

Re: Kailh BOX Silent Browns - First Impressions / Review
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 11:51:31 »
This review is accurate.

Offline PHYLO

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 12:15:49 »
This review is accurate.

I take it you've had the chance to try the new BOX Silents as well? Have you tried the pinks? I'm curious to how the pinks stand up against Zeal Sakurios! Sakurios are the smoothest and quietest linear switch I've tried to date.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 12:20:29 »
Yes, I've been trying out the BOX Silent Browns. I haven't bought any Silent Reds, but from what I know they should be a little quieter than the Silent Browns. Hope they are as smooth as the normal BOX Reds.

Sound-wise, the BOX Silent Browns are very competitive with Zilents. They may in fact be quieter. Zilents are more tactile, as you say, and definitely have a larger tactile bump. But the BOX Silent Browns are probably more tactile than Cherry Browns and Aliaz.

Offline PHYLO

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 14:55:21 »
Yes, I've been trying out the BOX Silent Browns. I haven't bought any Silent Reds, but from what I know they should be a little quieter than the Silent Browns. Hope they are as smooth as the normal BOX Reds.

Sound-wise, the BOX Silent Browns are very competitive with Zilents. They may in fact be quieter. Zilents are more tactile, as you say, and definitely have a larger tactile bump. But the BOX Silent Browns are probably more tactile than Cherry Browns and Aliaz.

Gotcha. I might order a 10 pack of pinks just to have fun! lol

TaehaTypes is currently doing a build for someone with the BOX Silent Browns and the Twitch chat blew up saying "ewwww box switches". I find it really hard to believe most (if not all) of them have tried the new BOX silent switches, because they're much much better than the non silent options from Kailh imho. Hopefully more people try them out and realize they're actually quite nice! :D

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 15:21:37 »
Yeah, there's no reason to have prejudice coming in to these switches.

The new stems appear to no longer damage keycaps, the silencing on these switches is successful, and they feel smooth, sturdy, and consistent.

Sure, they're not POM 205g0-lubed Invyr super-Blueberry Pandas with 68 gr Slow Curve SPIRiT springs, but they would be fine in pre-builts, and custom silent builds.

Offline PHYLO

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 20:54:05 »
Sure, they're not POM 205g0-lubed Invyr super-Blueberry Pandas with 68 gr Slow Curve SPIRiT springs, but they would be fine in pre-builts, and custom silent builds.

Gave me a good laugh, hah!

Offline Bamboo238

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 04:47:47 »
Thanks for the write up! Honestly, seems like a potential contender for silent builds. I wonder if they feel less mushy than silent reds?

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 11:58:23 »
I just tried the BOX Silent Browns again, and I wouldn't call them "mushy."

They're a bit rubbery at the bottom because of the dampening materials. But I've used far mushier switches. I would say the BOX Silent Browns actually feel pretty solid, sturdy and consistent.

My problem with them is that I feel they bottom-out too quickly. Once you break through the tactility [higher than BOX Brown], you're in a rush towards the bottom. Some people think that the BOX Silent Browns have less than the advertised 3.6mm of travel. They feel as though they have less travel than regular BOX Browns.

Offline kwerty

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 15:20:12 »
Hmm need to try more box switches on my boards

Offline jamster

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 23:34:22 »
I'd agree with the initial post for most part, only differing with the point on stability. In this respect they felt the same as any other MX type switch I've compared them to. And perhaps I'm just not a good judge if this- most MX switches wobble similar amounts imo.

It's worth emphasising that the bump is quite short in terms of travel length compared to other switches, with a longer linear section after, when compared to Clears or Outemu Silent Sky/Forest. I've ended up settling on the latter because of the increased bump 'real estate', but this is personal preference and not all that noticeable.

On terms of sound, pretty much the same as Outemu Silent tactile, Aliaz.

This would be a totally acceptable switch if it came default with a board, or I didn't have easy access to other choices and have the time to be overly picky. If the GB board I want for my kid ever becomes available, I'll be building it with Kailh Box Silent Browns. 

This is all based on a bunch of samples whacked into a switch tester, not an entire board.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 July 2020, 23:36:20 by jamster »

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 08:03:03 »
I agree, tho. I will probably go with Silent Skies instead of BOX Silent Brown because the former offers more 'real estate.'

I like the regular BOX Brown's 3.6mm of travel, but with a silent switch, that's where the 4.0mm becomes valuable to me.