Author Topic: Hi from Alberta, Canada  (Read 1580 times)

Offline kdancness7

Hi from Alberta, Canada
« on: Sun, 31 May 2020, 00:02:05 »
I am a software programmer so keyboards are pretty important in my everyday. I had been using a Microsoft Sculpt ergonomic for the longest time but felt it was too light wait and didnt stand up to constant use. So I went out bought a Royal Kludge Sink87G with Browns and I kinda have fallen down the rabbit hole. I have since been making my own wrist rests, and my own little Keymo which I think looks pretty good. I am mostly interested in finding ergonomic keyboards, maybe a diy build once I get a feel for the ins and outs of the keyboarding world.

Cheers from Canada

Offline econeuler

Re: Hi from Alberta, Canada
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 08:43:42 »
Hi!  :)

Have you identified any patterns when coding? I.e., what you need out of a keyboard?
I have been thinking about ergonomics a lot also. Since, I code in vim I want  a close Esc key or having it remapped to, e.g., Caps lock. Arrow keys, isn't that important since hjkl is mostly used for navigation, but even when I use arrow keys it is kind of nice to have them layered on the home row. I'm about to leave ISO (even though I'm Swedish) for Ansi, completely, since I find it better for coding. Further, I find smaller boards more egonomic since I don't need to move my hands so much and the keyboard is small enough such that it can be exactly in the middle of the screen. Then comes the question of having the key layout angled. I have tried this on several keyboards, and I find that I "learn" to type better since I'm forced to touch type, other than that it's sort of the same. I'm thinking of trying some 40% split, e.g., "Let's split it" or similar. What are your thoughts?

Offline kdancness7

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 10:34:48 »
At the beginning of the year I moved over to front end using a combination of wicket, marionette, and reactjs which means I dont get much time on vim, nano or other backend tools. That being said I want to move around the line delimeters maybe to the middle of the board. I want to flat out get rid of the CAPS it annoys me and I have deactivated it locally using it as a new command key. I have a few guys I work with who use a DVORAK layout but I couldnt get into it. Probably stuck with QWERTY with minor variations.

Offline econeuler

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 16:50:43 »
At the beginning of the year I moved over to front end using a combination of wicket, marionette, and reactjs which means I dont get much time on vim, nano or other backend tools. That being said I want to move around the line delimeters maybe to the middle of the board. I want to flat out get rid of the CAPS it annoys me and I have deactivated it locally using it as a new command key. I have a few guys I work with who use a DVORAK layout but I couldnt get into it. Probably stuck with QWERTY with minor variations.

Ah okay I see! So what do you think of the split layout, and how was it to move away from it? Are you aiming to try something like that out again?