Author Topic: Apple photoshops "Star Trek" to make it look better in 4:3  (Read 4561 times)

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

Apple photoshops "Star Trek" to make it look better in 4:3
« on: Tue, 06 July 2010, 11:20:31 »

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 06 July 2010, 11:23:38 »
Somebody had lots of free time on their hands with all that analysis.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline audioave10

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 06 July 2010, 11:25:20 »
I'm glad I don't need portable devices. Seems there is always an issue somewhere.
DECK Legend "Toxic" - SOLD
96 IBM Model M 82G2383- 95 IBM Model M 92G7453 - SOLD
Cherry G80-3000/Blues
new: MechanicalEagle Z77 RGB/Blues

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 06 July 2010, 11:38:16 »
do you have a link to the original analysis?

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 06 July 2010, 12:28:00 »
What they really mean is the restricted view on the iPad helps hide the deficiencies of the movie. I watched it yesterday (on TV). Son, I am disappoint. The writers used red matter to create a massive black hole in the plot.

Why did Spock's ship have a blob of red matter a yard across when he only needed one tiny droplet to fix the supernova? Why did his mission to save Romulus mysteriously fail? ("The unimaginable happened." WTF? He explained exactly what was happening.) Why did that Romulan blame the Federation for failing to act, when they err, DID act? After going back in time, why did he choose to destroy Vulcan in revenge when he could have simply given warning to act sooner and save his planet?

And worst of all why did they make Kirk such a prick, both as a child and adult? Why did he drive that beautiful car off the cliff? Where's the back story explaining that? It was his stepfather's? Oh. Right. Very deep.

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 03:30:02 »
Yawn. This is indeed muchadoaboutnothing. Now... their bad move with showing screenshots depicting Flash movies in the screenshot of webpages shown on the iPad... that's another matter. That was a really bad and dishonest move. What they did here... everyone does.

I'm sure they could have found something more appropriate to the iPad's dimensions if they really wanted to. Nobody ever uses real product in product shots when we're talking about advertising campaigns at this level. The food in a lot of food commercials isn't actually food... real food just doesn't photograph or video that well. In technology ads, the screenshots are always simulations. Even in TV ads, the on-screen images are totally faked.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline chimera15

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 05:15:42 »
That film was the worst Star Trek ever.  I don't get why they would use it to promote the ipad in the first place.  They would have been better using a STNG scene where they used similar devices and came up with a concept for them that was ground breaking.  

http://trekmovie.com/2010/01/27/steve-jobs-uses-star-trek-to-intro-padd-ipad/
Anyway, this was used in their tv commercials as well, and as I recall it was a moving scene, so it would have had to have been completely reshot, or used a video editing software on.

lol

@brentspiner: Hey, I just heard that Apple is coming out with some kind of tablet. Wanted you to be the first to know.

@brentspiner: Didn’t Captain Picard used to play with a pad like that in his ready room? STAR TREK STRIKES AGAIN!!!

@brentspiner: Just heard a rumor about itransporter. Wanted you to be the first to know.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 July 2010, 05:18:44 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline lmnop

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 06:04:13 »
I liked the new Star Trek movie.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 06:18:09 »
Quote from: chimera15;200178
   @brentspiner: Just heard a rumor about itransporter. Wanted you to be the first to know.

Warning: the iTransporter may not live up to the advertising hype:

Re the question of whether Apple has misled or not, the answer is absolutely yes. There is a difference between the use of simulated images (which *may* be necessary to overcome the limitations of conventional photography and so *may* not be misleading) and outright fakery which is what Apple has done here. They knew the iPad could not show that scene well, and they faked an image that tricks customers into believing the problem does not exist.

Re the Star Trek movie, I was surprised to see so many positive reviews for it. (Check rottentomatoes, almost total adoration for the film.) IMO it wasn't terrible, but there were many stupid flaws that stopped it being the great movie that it so nearly was. It just left me feeling there was something lacking. (Effort on the part of the writers, mostly.)
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 July 2010, 06:20:33 by Rajagra »

Offline chimera15

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 07:13:00 »
This thread contains my rants on it when it came out:

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=5972&do=comments&highlight=star+trek

I even made a new poster for the film:

It's actually surprisingly high on the google image search for star trek, or was. roflol

Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch

Offline phillip

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 07:40:10 »
Quote from: Rajagra;199991
What they really mean is the restricted view on the iPad helps hide the deficiencies of the movie. I watched it yesterday (on TV). Son, I am disappoint. The writers used red matter to create a massive black hole in the plot.

Why did Spock's ship have a blob of red matter a yard across when he only needed one tiny droplet to fix the supernova? Why did his mission to save Romulus mysteriously fail? ("The unimaginable happened." WTF? He explained exactly what was happening.) Why did that Romulan blame the Federation for failing to act, when they err, DID act? After going back in time, why did he choose to destroy Vulcan in revenge when he could have simply given warning to act sooner and save his planet?

And worst of all why did they make Kirk such a prick, both as a child and adult? Why did he drive that beautiful car off the cliff? Where's the back story explaining that? It was his stepfather's? Oh. Right. Very deep.

I really liked the movie, but I noticed all of that **** too.  They built a super fast ship (but was too late to get there), made a ****ing ton of red matter (when all they needed was a drop), everybody ignored a giant drill going into their planet (what, earthquakes?), etc.  Anyway, all the star trek shows and films have plot holes / inconsistencies as well so this is nothing new.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 08:27:36 »
Quote from: lmnop;200183
I liked the new Star Trek movie.

me too. yea it had some plot holes and i'm not sure i buy the whole reboot concept, but I did think it was fun, and clever, and fresh. For the most part I thought it was well cast too. My biggest issue I think is the way the reboot now creates a parallel storyline in the star trek universe. Seems like a waste after having built up the previous storyline for four decades, and there was a lot of good stuff in the old star trek universe. Surely they could have found a way to stay in the first universe somehow.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 09:35:22 »
My solution to all this:

Don't get an I-Pad! Get a VCR.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 09:50:01 »
So, there's this guy I know in college who is the biggest Mac fanboy you're ever likely to encounter, this is what he had to say -

(15:45:42): that's the standard advertising frame of the image released by the studio
(15:46:15): all advertising images containing photographs of devices with displays are faked because of glare, camera angle, frame rate

*sighs*

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 11:06:28 »
To avoid unpleasant arguments, you should avoid discussions about politics, religion, and Apple products. :smile:

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 11:08:45 »
You mean Crapple.

Offline lmnop

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 14:08:44 »
Star Trek Jizz to piss Chimera off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBjdR_KOu4Y

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 15:25:45 »
They've run out of ideas for the next movie, so they're going to do a crossover...

I wish you could hide the youtube titles, it ruins the surprise.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 July 2010, 15:28:22 by Rajagra »

Offline chimera15

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 15:36:01 »
lol  They should have used Barclay from STNG to play Murdock. lol
Alps boards:

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 15:57:12 »
Crazy fool!

Offline lmnop

« Last Edit: Wed, 07 July 2010, 17:16:07 by lmnop »