Author Topic: Help building a board with Cherry MX low profile switches  (Read 4559 times)

Offline Nomad099

Help building a board with Cherry MX low profile switches
« on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 08:07:48 »
Hi,

I'm currently looking at building an odd shaped board with Cherry MX low profile red switches. but I've been having a lot of trouble finding info about them. I emailed Cherry asking for specs and the PCB footprint and they sent me the attached .PDF which i haven't seen before online.

I also need to think about stabilisers. Do the Cherry low profile switches need special stabilisers? or can they use the regular stabilisers?
Also, what will the PCB footprint be for said stabilisers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is only my second board I've built.
Cheers

Offline Findecanor

Re: Help building a board with Cherry MX low profile switches
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 10:00:34 »
I emailed Cherry asking for specs and the PCB footprint and they sent me the attached .PDF which i haven't seen before online.
Thanks for posting that rare, elusive datasheet!
Previously, Keebio had posted a footprint for the switch in their Github repro.

I suspect that plate-mount Cherry MX stabiliser might work if they were mounted to the PCB. That might be worth testing ...

BTW, Kailh has announced the Kailh Choc V2 switch, which also has MX-keycap mount and similar dimensions to Cherry XMLP except that it also has clicky and tactile variants. The footprint has one of the switch pins in the same position, so a combined footprint would only need the other switch pin and possibly the pin for the click bar.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 June 2020, 10:02:16 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline Nomad099

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 12:01:37 »
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. yea i saw Keebios footprint but couldn't figure out how to view it. it was easier to email Cherry instead.
yea i was looking at the v2 choc switches. but i haven't been able to find anywhere that sells them.
you're right, i think a PCB that can accommodate both is the way forward. keep my options open. Kailh do a choc stabiliser on aliexpress. might get it to test. who knows, it might work with the cherry switches.
Cheers

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 11:42:59 »
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. yea i saw Keebios footprint but couldn't figure out how to view it. it was easier to email Cherry instead.
yea i was looking at the v2 choc switches. but i haven't been able to find anywhere that sells them.
you're right, i think a PCB that can accommodate both is the way forward. keep my options open. Kailh do a choc stabiliser on aliexpress. might get it to test. who knows, it might work with the cherry switches.
Cheers

I'll just add that choc switches feel and sound very nice for their size. I hadn't even heard about the V2, I think I would wait for those myself.