Author Topic: Canon Keyboard with Black Acer Switches ~$45 Shipped  (Read 14454 times)

Offline Rayndalf

Canon Keyboard with Black Acer Switches ~$45 Shipped
« on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 18:02:39 »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/164189362971
No idea if anyone is actually interested in Acer Switches (I've had good experiences with linearized Salmon Alps myself), but this seems like a decent price.

Offline funkmon

Re: Canon Keyboard with Black Acer Switches ~$45 Shipped
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 21:38:30 »
*rubs hands together* let's see if I can Or Best Offer this into a deal!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 07:45:40 »
That price is already fair. I seriously considered buying it, even though I don't need it. Acers are VERY nice and that is clean ANSI layout.

Some people feel a compulsion to negotiate price "just because" but if a price is fair I recommend just going for it.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 14:08:27 »
That price is already fair. I seriously considered buying it, even though I don't need it. Acers are VERY nice and that is clean ANSI layout.

Some people feel a compulsion to negotiate price "just because" but if a price is fair I recommend just going for it.

I have seen a few Acer switch boards around. I suppose I should have pulled the trigger on one.

My view is that if I can get a board for as cheap as possible, I will ... because then I can buy more boards with interesting layouts/switches than I would have been able to otherwise on the same budget.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 15:00:57 »

I suppose I should have pulled the trigger on one.

If you like light clicky switches you should try it. I haven't had mine out in a long time, so I don't remember how sturdy the case is, but I remember the switches being particularly nice.

I am surprised to see a modern Enter key rather than a BAE, my memory may be failing or maybe I have an older one?
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline funkmon

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 20:47:29 »
$15 boys! I buy stuff from this guy all the time. I wonder if he's just giving me the hook up.

As for just buying something if it's an okay price, I do that too. Sometimes if I think it's a an all right price and I know it's something I'll buy I just say screw it and buy it. I picked up a NIB Lexmark Model M for $125 a while back that way. More than it's really worth when you can get a new Unicomp for less, and a mint condition one for $50-$60 if you try, but $125 for New In Box? That's fair. Bought it now.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 June 2020, 20:55:01 by funkmon »

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 22:01:50 »
Glad someone here got it. I have all my money tied up trying to buy a Yamaha QX3 right now (first seller claimed it'd already sold elsewhere, the second is now claiming their's doesn't work) Despite the first seller promptly refunding the payment, paypal hasn't given me my money back so I have between $200 and $400 tied up in the void depending on what the second guy does (I told him "I don't care if it doesn't work I need if for parts" but I think both are lying because of unexpected shipping fees or something). If I do get a working QX3 it'll be free hardware if I flip the hirose switches on Mechmarket and replace them with silent inks, but Phoenix switches are more musical :p

Offline funkmon

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 22:02:38 »
All right! It just came! I'll let you know how it goes. This guy's keyboards are usually in at least middling shape, but are often in need of some work. I understand on many acer designs it's a matter of opening the case and essentially hanging the membrane out the window to dry and you're good to go, so I have high hopes. I'll be back in an hour.

EDIT: it's here and I did have to do a bit of maintenance on it. Percussive maintenance. Tell me if I'm way off here, but I feel like oftentimes if you have a weird switch you just smash it really hard a few times and it starts working.

The zero key was stuck down so I ripped it off and just smashed the switch a bunch of times for about 5 minutes straight and it's fine now.

The board's a little bit dirty, and the inside is hella corroded, but it's functional and it's not disgusting. Exactly what I have come to expect from this seller. Solid G rating gear. He also mailed it in a shop vac box, which is also not that weird. I don't know where the guy finds the boxes but they're always weird and different. I got one keyboard from him in a box from The Game of Life iirc.

Feels good. I mentioned in the Alps appreciation thread that it feels like low rent Matias, basically. Great $15 board that I'm going to shove in my closet and never use dear god why am I here.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 June 2020, 23:55:22 by funkmon »

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 17 June 2020, 14:23:47 »
For $30 shipped this was a deal for the keycaps alone, right? These switches seem so complicated to use a membrane underneath (is it really cheaper?), but ANSI (with a normal backspace and enter) Alps keycaps are hard to find.