Author Topic: Custom Keyboard from Zero!  (Read 1485 times)

Offline Okey

Custom Keyboard from Zero!
« on: Wed, 12 August 2020, 18:31:53 »
Hello all,

I am working on building a custom keyboard and wanted to share the process from ground zero. This means from ground zero, CAD, and manufacture. BUT! i will be doing the manufacturing process myself. I have tried doing this the more traditional way, so i have my design already (See below). But had issues flushing out the manufacturing process myself. Which is where i stand now. armed with a 3d printer, time and a little blood i will make this keyboard myself.

This is what i call Okey. because thats where I live for now. If anyone would like to learn the process of making a keyboard there is a great YouTube video by Quantrik, here is the link

Pay attention to measurements and his explanations. Take notes and be creative. This was a starting point for me, i dont want to copy peoples designs.

SO! Where am i in the process? Building a cnc router of course. Again the power of youtube comes to my rescue and where the 3d printer comes into play. I am printing the support structure for the cnc machine. if you would like to look into building one yourself there are tons of different designs around the internet. This is the one i am going with. Once everything is printed i will post some updates. I am also going to build a table for it and will show yall as well.  Here is the link

Have a great day and Stay safe!

Offline TaurusTrades

• Taurus trades Etsy Store
Re: Custom Keyboard from Zero!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 18:46:18 »
Good luck on your adventure! Looking forward to the updates!

Offline Okey

Re: Custom Keyboard from Zero!
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 23:43:54 »
Update #1

So things are SLOW. Living on a small island doesn't make it help and neither does a global pandemic.
I had a hard time 3d printing the parts at first as i wanted to use PTEG. First time using it, plus a had allot of print ****s, not sticking to the bed and more.
I haver ordered the 2040 rails, and allot of screws, nuts, and other hardware. Once they get here i can start slowly putting together.

I am also in moving purgatory right now. I may move back to America in a month or 4. Making me hesitant to purchase things here. I want to start making
the table to mount the router, but dont know how much time i have to do so. Hopefully some good news soon.

On a positive note, I have been crushing some classes sense the pandemic started and should FINALLY get my degree.

Stay safe everyone, and pictures will come once i get the hard ware, or when i start building the table.