Author Topic: Just when you think you have enough (RAM/HDD space/Processing power), you need more  (Read 10985 times)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
I would not advise maxing out the CPU in a laptop unless you really know what you're doing and are very careful with the cooling. Those Core 2 Duo's get hot.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline EverythingIBM

Quote from: ch_123;211541
Did the hard drive in the Thinkpad actually die?

No of course not. That's probably the last thing to die (especially since it was well cared for and actually has decent protection and all that).
What died is presumably the systemboard, I think a capacitor blew. I'm always worrying over capacitors. I'm positive the heat provoked something and killed it: as it just goes into "limbo" when you power it on, it used wake out of sleep in limbo like that as well.

Quote from: J888www;211593
My present project, a ThinkPad T60p. I have nearly replaced/maxed out all the components.

Core 2 Duo T7600 (Mobo being Socket M)
1x 2GB + 1x 1GB RAM
80GB Intel X25-M SATA SSD

New NMB keyboard
New BOE HyDis 15" 1600x1200 FlexView Screen
New Heatsink + Fan unit
Windows 7 32-bit OS

Have accepted the fact that the ATI FireGL V5200 Graphics as the best possible when I chose the T60p for its build quality. I even replaced the two tarnished IBM ThinkPad logos.
Still there are two things which still trouble my mind.

3GB RAM is the maximum the system will recognise, but am considering replacing the 1GB stick with a 2GB stick for a more uniform combination for a minute increase in RAM speed. Is the teeny bitsy increase of RAM speed worth the cost for replacement ?

80GB is more than enough, after full installation, there's still 53GB free space, but......this X25-M Series with MLC technology is already considered to be outdated. An Intel Single-Level Cell SSD is on the wish list, with present product cost of SLC SSDs, it will remain on this list for a while.
Is the Multi-Level Cell be sufficient for my requirements, would SLC technology be beneficial ?

"Just when you think you have enough, you need more"
This yearning to better oneself is what makes us human, it is this strive which makes us better than other animals, also it is this strive which makes us to be animals.

I really wouldn't waste all my time on a T60p. They're not made to last, as I have the unfortunate experience of discovering.

Although being a massive hypocrite, I'll probably end up buying a T60p or something like it -- as they have certain qualities not found in other thinkpads, and I'm so used to it.

Quote from: microsoft windows;211600
I would not advise maxing out the CPU in a laptop unless you really know what you're doing and are very careful with the cooling. Those Core 2 Duo's get hot.

I'm not sure how hot they get, the one in my intellistation seems to be very cool.... almost too cool (the heatsink never gets even a little bit warm, nor does any hot air ever vent out at the back -- but then again, the rear fan was at max and *very* noisy). I would assume they're easier to manage than P4s. You see, the problem with P4s is that they constantly spew out heat regardless of how much they're processing. Older pentiums and C2Ds can regulate heat according to usage... if I'm not mistaken.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
I have 1 TB internal, 1 TB external, 500 GB internal, 80 GB internal (2 dead 150 GB internals).  

I have definitely got the upgrade bug.  

My pc hasn't been upgraded in ages.  So if I wanted to play FFXIV on 9/22, I'd have to buy minimum cpu, mobo, RAM and video card.  I've been wanting to upgrade to SSD and win 7, quad or six core, etc., anyways.  The way life has converged, odds are I won't be upgrading until a year or two from now, as originally considered.  I probably won't play FFXIV, even on PS3.  Still, the upgrade bug has bitten me.

I wonder MSI Big Bang Xpower 1366 (which would require PSU upgrade) or Asus Rampage III Gene (which I don't want red & mATX in ATX case feels wasteful ).  Over $300 for the big rampage or dual cpu SLI is out of the question.
Of course, next year's intel is going to start new platforms and there's always the bulldozer question.  

New tech is old tech, when it first releases.  The problem is when the applications you need/want to run, require new hardware or just if you've hit some kind of ceiling with existing hardware.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq