Author Topic: [QUESTION] Keychron K2 Hotswap vs Keycool KC84/Eopmaker EP84  (Read 5762 times)

Offline apre_26

[QUESTION] Keychron K2 Hotswap vs Keycool KC84/Eopmaker EP84
« on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 14:26:41 »
Hello, I want to order one of these keyboards but I'm not sure which one is going to be better; I plan on getting the aluminium frame on the keychron. The Keycool/Eopmaker is cheaper than the Keychron but I am not sure which one is going to be better quality.
Thanks for reading and helping.

Offline DrivenKeys

• portfolio
Re: [QUESTION] Keychron K2 Hotswap vs Keycool KC84/Eopmaker EP84
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 31 October 2020, 03:17:25 »
I've been wondering the exact same thing. I'm typing this on my Epomaker EP84, and may still order the K2 Hotswap. It's been a month since you posted. I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed more. Please let me know what you've learned or decided. I've been all over the Google/Youtube-verse trying to understand which is better. After a week of owning the KC/EP84, there's a lot to love, but some letdowns and support questions.

I'm going to make a video of my adventures, but in short:

EP/KC84 is a nice, simple, solid, Leopold-style build with bad backlighting and nice feeling, decent looking backlit keycaps. It's capable of limited reprogramming, but the software kinda sucks and won't ever be supported by Epomaker. The keyboard has been around in some form for over five years, and judging by my emails with Epomaker, is likely getting phased out. Still, it really hits the 'budget Leopold' mark it aims for. The biggest deal-breaker I can find is that the dim lighting prevents legibility in a daylit room, at least on the lighter alphas. It's pleasant on the black keys, almost as if you can change the dyed color. Aside from that, hard to complain. Once I swapped on non-backlit caps, it's pretty great. There are nice 'custom' touches, like sound deadening foam in the case and decently lubed stabilizers. I still don't know whether or not to return it, due to such limited software support and the need for replacement caps to read them. Perhaps just find one without backlit keycaps.

K2 Hotswap is a brand-new, slightly more complete package (in theory, I haven't yet recieved it). Impressions of Keychron's rgb are mixed, but most people agree that the white backlight version is bright and functional. The Keychron's legends are legible even without a backlight, and reviews have said the abs on the new K2 is pretty good; similar thickness (~1.2mm) and texture to the KC84's pbt, with much nicer legends. A Keychron rep emailed me that Keychron will release software to reprogram the K2 in mid-2021, so the KC84 will soon loose that (weak) advantage. They'll also sell the K2 Hotswap on Amazon within 2-3 months, if you want to wait and take advantage of their shipping and returns. If you get a KC84 without backlit caps, the price advantage is kinda there, but the K2 will offer more universal use and extended support. Keychron no longer make a version without a nice bluetooth module and battery. Even if you get the wireless KC84, the older bluetooth tech is not as good.

Despite the warts, I'm growing pretty attached to the EP84. If I were to return it, I might miss the chunky, simple case and simple-done-right feel....but then there's my ipad and this nest of wires I'm always dragging around, and the fact I had to cannibalize another board for legible caps.... :rolleyes:

I hope this helps anyone comparing the two. Please let me know what you think.
1994 Lexmark Model M, Unicomp EnduraPro, EP84/KC84 (Box Navies with gpl107) Leopold FC900R (MX Clears), Ducky One (MX Whites), Das X50q

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 31 October 2020, 05:48:06 »
The Keychron:
It's TALL.. it strains the limits of ergonomic standards in keyboards and is often almost 1/4in taller than other boards from desk to top of the caps. If you have issues with carpal tunnel this will aggravate the heck out of it.  The other thing is the aluminum "case", it's not, it's an aluminum skin that bolts to the outside of the plastic. Not trying to bash it, just know what you're getting. If you want it for the wireless, you may want to forget the aluminum case anyhow as it can interfere. It's a budget mechanical keyboard that has wireless and special "features".

Keycool has a decent history of quality, mid grade keyboards (some might even argue they are upper end). If you don't need wireless, this will very likely be the better board of the two.

As for the hot swaps (this is using Kailh hot swaps)...
While they can be nice they have a limited life cycle (200 insertions avg) and if you push a switch in wrong it can literally destroy the pcb. They're fragile and not going to last for years like a good soldered board will.  I recommend treating any keyboard with these particular ones as disposable and not spending a fortune on it.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline jo.king

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 31 October 2020, 21:03:08 »
I have the Keychron K8 so I think I can speak to this a little bit... As mentioned before the Keychron's are a very tall board. With the stock keycaps, which are OEM profile I think, it towers over a Tofu60. I swapped the keycaps for a set of GMK caps that I'm using for another build and it made a world of difference. I still need to use a wrist rest so I don't completely thrash my wrists but it definitely helped. As for "quality", I think you get what you pay for with board keyboards. The Keychron is completely plastic and even when you get the "aluminum case", it's just a little bit of alu that bolts on to a plastic case. Not worth the $15 IMO. I must say the Bluetooth and mac capabilities were the major selling points for me. If those are not crucial for you, then look elsewhere. On a side note, I'd recommend getting the hot-swap variant since it opens the doors to exploring the near-infinite switch options out there. I regret not going for the hot-swap and I'm regretting it. For the price, the included Gateron Browns are fine but nothing more. I've since tried Tealios, Alpacas, Kailh Box Navies and Pinks, and boy oh boy, its like crack I swear. Anyways, I'll stop rambling, hopefully, you can make the call.