Author Topic: Lubing Box Jades?  (Read 8866 times)

Offline CamTheKid22

Lubing Box Jades?
« on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 02:03:00 »
I'm fairly new to mechanical keyboards, I mean I've had one for years (currently the duck one 2 full-size), and have always loved clicky switches. Not a huge fan of liner switches, as I love having tactile feedback. Recently I ordered a set of Kailh Box Jades for the Keychron K4 that I ordered recently as well, and was wondering if it was a good idea to lube them. I've heard that it's not a good idea to lube cherry blues, as you can pretty much take away the clicky sound, but I was curious if it would be different with box jades, as they use a spring bar, and I assume that wouldn't be near as affected as blues. I just want a very smooth switch with a nice satisfying click.
clicky switches best switches

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
Re: Lubing Box Jades?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 15:50:14 »
Don't need to lube, they come factory lubed and are smooth enough stock in my opinion.
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 21:09:06 »
Lubing my stems did nothing.
The clicker was pre-lubed quite well in mine.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Zlax

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 22 December 2020, 18:32:31 »
Don't lube it, the switch will lose the tactility, they already have a good touch from factory.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 22 December 2020, 20:37:11 »
I lubed the springs on my pinks and very very lightly lubed the sliders - as in I basically handled the sliders with my fingertips which had lube residue on them and that tiny bit was enough. Excellent results I say. 

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 22 December 2020, 20:57:12 »
Lubing the bottom and top out points improves the sound on BOX switches a lot. Obviously you shouldn't lube the clickbar. I'd say hitting the stem is optional, since it can put lube onto the box which rests outside the housing and may collect dust.