Author Topic: 40% ortho/planck case options?  (Read 2152 times)

Offline br4n_d0n

40% ortho/planck case options?
« on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 14:20:34 »
I'm looking for a 40% case for a planck like build, but haven't really found much beyond the basic planck one. I've noticed some nicer looking ones that are for 60% boards, but 40% seems to have a lot less to choose from.

Anyways, I was wondering if people could list/share some different cases out there so I can get an idea.

Thanks,
br4n_d0n

Offline kajahtaa

Re: 40% ortho/planck case options?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 16:01:50 »
Kotai

look harder

Offline br4n_d0n

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 19:42:14 »
I did some more searching and stumbled upon this, but cannot find the actual name. Anyone know what it's called and where I may purchase one? If not, anyone know of any other similar case designs?

Offline dingusxmcgee

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 21:02:55 »
Hey!

Not sure on that one in particular, but if you come by the 40% discord I’m sure we can help out a lot easier. There are lots of fun projects and knowledgeable people who can answer your questions :)

Discord.gg/40percent

Come by anytime!

Offline br4n_d0n

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 22:41:24 »
Thanks, I'll hop on there when I get the chance.  :thumb:

Offline parablol

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 08:24:10 »
You're completely right that the options are limited. I wish there were more!

The two latest forays into 40% ortho cases that I'm aware of are:

HMKB 40 https://heavymetalkeyboards.com/products/hmkb-40

Typeau.40 Planck Edition https://typeau.com/typeau-40-planck-edition

Both were GBs that are in the production phase now. I don't think the HMKB one will be offered again, but the guy who ran the Typeau one said he would offer it again after he does the Preonic version.

FWIW, the Niu40 from KBDFans has a very nice case, although it is a little limited by only supporting the Planck's MIT layout. The JJ40 from KPRepublic supports all of the layouts the Planck Rev6 supports & has a few case options too. These are fine options if you do not need the advanced features of the Planck, are ok with an extra 0.5mm key spacing, and don't need hotswap switch sockets.

Offline br4n_d0n

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 12:30:57 »
I actually purchased a BM40 RGB with Hot Swap and have been waiting for it to get here via a slow boat. In the meantime, I've been trying to find a nice case and some keycaps if possible.