Author Topic: A Trivial Windows 10 Annoyance  (Read 4723 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
A Trivial Windows 10 Annoyance
« on: Thu, 24 December 2020, 09:15:45 »
I keep a couple of dozen shortcut icons on my Windows desktop. I like to have about 4 vertical columns to the left side of the screen.

To me, there seem to be logical groupings such as general computer "utility" stuff, "office" stuff, media, internet, etc, and I would want to be able to arrange my columns to have icons that I think of as similar grouped together.

No matter how many times I rearrange them, Windows re-shuffles them into random placement. And it doesn't even do anything logical such as pack them up and to the left into the most dense formation, it just spews them around into an indiscriminate scattershot.

Is there a way to have Windows leave them where I put them? Thanks
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Rika

Re: A Trivial Windows 10 Annoyance
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 24 December 2020, 09:19:14 »
I keep a couple of dozen shortcut icons on my Windows desktop. I like to have about 4 vertical columns to the left side of the screen.

To me, there seem to be logical groupings such as general computer "utility" stuff, "office" stuff, media, internet, etc, and I would want to be able to arrange my columns to have icons that I think of as similar grouped together.

No matter how many times I rearrange them, Windows re-shuffles them into random placement. And it doesn't even do anything logical such as pack them up and to the left into the most dense formation, it just spews them around into an indiscriminate scattershot.

The ****??? Do you do many things or anything that lowers your resolution, such as old software and games with exclusive fullscreen?

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 24 December 2020, 09:56:51 »
All hardware is less than a year old and all software is up to date. I don't game at all except for the occasional game of solitaire.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Rika

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 24 December 2020, 10:08:51 »
All hardware is less than a year old and all software is up to date. I don't game at all except for the occasional game of solitaire.
Huh, so nothing that changes your resolution then? As even new stuff can.

When do the icons get thrown about, does it only happen on boot or is it after doing something and you check to use it and it's mixed, if it is, can you somewhat organise and then try different things, it might still be one of the programs, outside of resolution changes I can't say I've encountered such a thing before

And just for the sake of asking, is your windows 64 or 32 bit

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 24 December 2020, 10:38:41 »
Windows 10 64-bit updated regularly. ASRock motherboard, Radeon RX580, 2 Dell monitors (1 is only about a month old), plenty of RAM and disk space.

The shuffling happens when I boot anew.

Offline Rika

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 24 December 2020, 11:17:11 »
Hmm, as I say, I'm not to sure of the cause, but try whenever you have time to do whatever, unplugging a monitor and organising then reboot, might not "fix" it if it does end up being some monitor jank, but would atleast identify it

If it is, my guess would be it's something to do with how it boots and either something weird from that or one is lower res, either way, if it is 1 (or having both) monitor(s) then apart from possibly having a program instead (rainmeter might work, dunno, just a random related thought) or some other UI that is constant I don't think I can help much more, but atleast you'd know the cause

Offline Rika

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 24 December 2020, 11:21:06 »
Actually, I think it is a monitor thing as I think on one of mine the desktop is messed up (this is very much from memory as my memory is beyond bad), could try organising on a different one as outside of memory i KNOW it is as everything is aligned on the left on my main (the one the windows signin screen appears on)

Offline Tactile

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 24 December 2020, 12:47:49 »
Check out Fences from Stardock. It's not free, but cheap enough ($6 as I write this).
REΛLFORCE

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 24 December 2020, 20:29:44 »
If it's happening on boot it's likely a driver issue, it may be activating a display output at a default resolution before switching to the others. It shouldn't but it might.

Do you have a second screen (a lower resolution one?), it may be defaulting to it on boot, in which case the easy fix is swap the ports, if you can, so the main one boots first. If you don't have another screen, check the resolution settings to see if maybe the system thinks there is something else connected. Again, swapping ports might actually fix it.

Worst case, you may need to arrange the icons differently, instead of 4 columns, you may have to do 6 sorter ones, or combine some into a folder, or just move them around a bit so they don't get jumbled on boot.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 25 December 2020, 08:09:26 »
Current (recommended) resolution for Display 1 is 1920x1080 and for Display 2 is 1920x1200.

1 is HDMI and 2 is DVI-D, and the graphics card seems to insist that it stay that way.

Am I hearing that I should set Display 2 to 1920x1080 also? I will try that.

Offline Rika

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 25 December 2020, 08:15:35 »
Current (recommended) resolution for Display 1 is 1920x1080 and for Display 2 is 1920x1200.

1 is HDMI and 2 is DVI-D, and the graphics card seems to insist that it stay that way.

Am I hearing that I should set Display 2 to 1920x1080 also? I will try that.
Is display 2 the one you are putting them on, if so, then it is quite possibly it being initialised at disp 1s res and the shortcuts don't fit on that and thus windows goes sifb4 rjdcidbesj over them in which case setting it to 1080 will probably fix it and I presume you don't mind considering that response

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 25 December 2020, 08:24:33 »
No, icons reside on Display 1.

edit - this looks like it fixed the icon problem, but it has monkeyed with programs that I open on Display 2 - I lose bars and ribbons in the black never-never-land stripe at the top of the screen
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 December 2020, 09:52:04 by fohat.digs »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 25 December 2020, 20:39:02 »
I wouldn't change the resolution but at least you found the problem, and it is a resolution/initialization issue.
If those are your only ports, your best bet is to alter the icon layout to match the 1080 then set it to 1200.

HDMI is a garbage standard for computers and never should have been put on them, we should have jumped right to DisplayPort. Which by the way, FIRE whoever the F came up with that name. If you ever have issues with an HDMI port, plug one end of the HDMI into a DVI or DisplayPort adapter  and then into the screen, it will fix it. I've had to do this with multiple screens, doesn't matter the screen or GPU, there's just something in the HDMI spec that doesn't work right. It has been fixed on newer GPUS that lack DVI or VGA but if your card is old enough to support DVI or VGA that HDMI port is going to be a steaming pile of garbage.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 25 December 2020, 21:36:26 »

If those are your only ports, your best bet is to alter the icon layout to match the 1080 then set it to 1200.

The HDMI 1920x1080 is the newer and better monitor, it has always been in the #1 position and set to 1920x1080. That is where the icons are.

Offline JP

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 26 December 2020, 10:52:13 »
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 26 December 2020, 20:52:13 »
The HDMI 1920x1080 is the newer and better monitor, it has always been in the #1 position and set to 1920x1080. That is where the icons are.
It may have been doing this all along and you not notice or there was a Windows or driver change.

I still blame HDMI, for every system it works fine going hdmi-hdmi I have to go HDMI to DVI or DisplayPort to avoid problems with something not correctly handling the resolution. I avoid it like the plague.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 18:58:48 »

Translucent taskbar is great

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 08:43:10 »
anytime I have an option for a DP connector on a display, that is what I use - even refuse to buy panels w/out it.  HDMI is so inconsistent, also wish TV's would include a DP port as well.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D