Author Topic: [GB] GMK Shanshui 山水 - GB Live  (Read 20307 times)

Offline DukeEsquire

Re: [GB] GMK Shanshui 山水 - GB Live
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 05 January 2021, 13:11:13 »
I've done my part with a few base kits. My concern is that there are two base kits which are extremely similar save for the mods. I feel like it would have been better to have one base kit and then optional mods.

Hopeful that both base kits will hit MOQ, but agreed that we need some help.

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 05 January 2021, 17:13:04 »
I've done my part with a few base kits. My concern is that there are two base kits which are extremely similar save for the mods. I feel like it would have been better to have one base kit and then optional mods.

Hopeful that both base kits will hit MOQ, but agreed that we need some help.

We appreciate you doing this. Initially I had planned the kitting as you would have preferred, but because nearly all the cost of the Traditional Chinese kit was tied up in the new molds, the mod-only kit I had planned was essentially as expensive as a base kit, putting Traditional Chinese users in the position of needing to buy $250+ worth of kits just to cover a board. Not only was this unfair, but a child kit at that price is also simply a non-starter.

Thanks for helping to put a dent in this for us. The choice was not welcome but was essentially no choice at all.

Offline mustardgreens

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 11:57:56 »
Damn, I really hope this gets made. It would be a shame if it didn't, especially because other sets (GMK Tuzi, Houhai for example) will be able to take advantage of the new legends. But I am worried, as the MOQ is very high. 1000 base kits is a huge number for a niche product like this. But I believe in it

If you are reading this and are on the fence about supporting, please do!

Cangjie is good for Mandarin or Cantonese learners also, because it can help you "construct" the characters stroke by stroke, regardless of pronunciation. This is fun

Offline Lil

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 19:06:15 »
I'm planning to join towards the end of the month for most of the kits, glwb

Offline jkteoh

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 19:31:52 »
Planning on hopping on this closer to the end of the month as well. Keeping my fingers crossed this makes it - it'll be my first fancy AF keycaps but how can I not support such a carefully thought out set?

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 08 January 2021, 08:07:50 »
Planning on hopping on this closer to the end of the month as well. Keeping my fingers crossed this makes it - it'll be my first fancy AF keycaps but how can I not support such a carefully thought out set?

I'm planning to join towards the end of the month for most of the kits, glwb

Damn, I really hope this gets made. It would be a shame if it didn't, especially because other sets (GMK Tuzi, Houhai for example) will be able to take advantage of the new legends. But I am worried, as the MOQ is very high. 1000 base kits is a huge number for a niche product like this. But I believe in it

If you are reading this and are on the fence about supporting, please do!

Cangjie is good for Mandarin or Cantonese learners also, because it can help you "construct" the characters stroke by stroke, regardless of pronunciation. This is fun

Thanks everyone. GBs tend to fill closer to the end, with pay periods, FOMO, and every other factor putting pressure on the back end. I believe we will get this set done but it is critical to support it. I'm in for a lot of sets myself. (Guess what everyone is getting for Christmas?) I am really pleased with the theme of the set and all, but at the end of the day, this is an investment in GMK's language compatibility. Honestly it's kind of wild to hear but so many people are now learning Cangjie...I wonder if this will spark some kind of small revival?

I really appreciate your planned support and look forward to an update soon. We also have our first collabs going up in the next week and that should really get people going.

Offline CobraLi

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 09 January 2021, 10:35:35 »
I got the Inkstone, Lijiang and Negative Space set! Also the Rama chop and Rafts deskmat as well! Eagerly awaiting this set!   ;D

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 09 January 2021, 14:17:00 »
I got the Inkstone, Lijiang and Negative Space set! Also the Rama chop and Rafts deskmat as well! Eagerly awaiting this set!   ;D

Thank you! Should look beautiful. What board are you planning on putting them on?

Offline CobraLi

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 10 January 2021, 13:52:17 »

Thank you! Should look beautiful. What board are you planning on putting them on?

I am debating between my KBDfans Maja (NK Creams) and my SC frosted Alice (Roselios). Then again I may join a group buy for a 75% Alice once I find a design that I am interested in.  ;D

Offline dirtegg

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 10 January 2021, 18:40:44 »
Grabbed the Simplified, Monolegends, and Spacebars! I really hope that this set makes MOQ, since it would be a huge development in the keeb community if these legends became part of the GMK toolset! This is going to be my first WoB set too, as I was never swayed by the standard set but this is certainly something special  :))

Offline Leon_TheKing

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 11 January 2021, 00:53:47 »
the only thing that puts me off is the chinese character on key S. it's not an auspicious word you want to see when typing, though I understand this is probably one of the composition words under Cangjie system. Look forward to your next set with Chinese legends (Houhai I believe?), will surely crop a few kits.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 11 January 2021, 15:00:40 »

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 12 January 2021, 08:48:21 »
Still have quite a ways to go, folks. If you were thinking of joining this set, or Houhai, or any other set you'd like to see with the Chinese legends, now's the time.

This is our one shot to get this done and I hope you'll consider this as an investment in getting new (true, usable!) language compatibility added to the GMK font foundry for the community. I appreciate the support of so many folks who have skin in the game by buying sets. I can assure you that I, and the great, supportive vendors we have, do as well.

I feel a high degree of confidence that in the next couple of weeks I'll be back to tell you that all kits are being produced and we're getting this tooling made, but it's going to take your help.

In the meantime, join my giveaway on Instagram to win a keyset of your choice!

Offline Abhorrent Cell

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 01:51:33 »
Def signing up for Inkstone and at least 2 Negative Space.

Hoping for a matching BoW set if this is a success!

Offline 390123emma

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 03:01:25 »
Are the secondary legend functional? I am bilingual, I use pinyin only, I have no idea what the secondary legend is for.

Offline mustardgreens

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 09:02:15 »
Are the secondary legend functional? I am bilingual, I use pinyin only, I have no idea what the secondary legend is for.

Canjie input method

Used to be common around HK. It's rarely used now. Cangjie allows you to type words stroke by stroke, radical by radical, rather than phonetically. It has a couple advantages: it could be good for people who know how to read and write but speak a dialect and don't know pinyin. It could also be useful for language learners too because it helps you memorize the structure of the characters. It's the input method that most closely resembles writing.

I think it's pretty cool, I use pinyin but I have wanted to learn cangjie for many years now, never got around to it. This set is the perfect excuse.