Author Topic: Mouse with macros in memory- not in software  (Read 681 times)

Offline phinix

• RIP typo...
Mouse with macros in memory- not in software
« on: Sat, 02 January 2021, 18:11:36 »
Guys, is there a mouse that can keep macros in it, not in its software?
So I wouldn't have to have software running to use macros.
In particular, I would like to save string in the macro.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 January 2021, 18:13:49 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | LG OLED 48 CX
Realforce R2 55g Novatouched+Deskeys #3 | CM QuickFire Rapid Frosty Flake MX Blacks | IDOBAO ID87 w/ Glorious Holy Pandas| Model M | Razer Pro Click | X52 PRO
SA: Carbon, Penumbra, 7bit's Round6, Amber Screen Cherry: OG caps XDA: Canvas MDA: Big Bone MT3: Serika

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::
star citizen :::  CMDR Phinix 325A LTI

Offline vvp

Re: Mouse with macros in memory- not in software
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 January 2021, 06:37:32 »
I do not know about mouse firmwares, but some keybaord firmwares can also add mouse events into their macros (stored in the keybaord). E.g. https://github.com/chrisandreae/keyboard-firmware

Offline nevin

Re: Mouse with macros in memory- not in software
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 January 2021, 07:15:06 »
most of the gaming mice with "onboard memory" will function this way. programming stored in the mouse.
- i have a cm storm recon that works like this. you program via their programming utility, it's written to the mouse, then you can use the mouse on other systems and it retains the programming (NOT being remapped by app on host computer)
- just read through the descriptions, it should say stored in the mouse, or onboard memory, etc...

there is also the "Ploopy" mouse & trackball, which run the same firmware that we use on our keyboards (QMK). they accomplished this by supporting the PMW3360 optical sensor in the keyboard firmware. they also support VIA, an on-the-fly remapping utility for QMK which alleviates the need to reflash the mouse every time you want to change a button.
- if you're familliar with QMK, you can see how exciting this is.
- QMK firmware: https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware

there are also a handful of DIY mouse projects based around the PMW3360 optical sensor if you want to go that route. search around. some are running a less fully featured firmware than the ploopy ones, and i've seen others use arduino programming.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68