Author Topic: Gateron Milky Yellow Help.  (Read 3294 times)

Offline DrGravy3

Gateron Milky Yellow Help.
« on: Fri, 15 January 2021, 05:26:06 »
Hi all,
This is my first post on GH so hopefully i dont do anything too wrong!

Ive been looking around on here and other sites and I'm looking to buy some Gateron Milky yellows.
I always see people recommending specifically Milky top, Black bottom versions of Milky Yellows.
However as I live in EU most places seem to be sold out of most swtiches at the minute, and I don't want to pay $20 for shipping from the US or Asia.

I have however found some Gateron Milky Yellows with a full milky housing and I was wondering why people don't recommend these ones, is there much difference between the Black bottom and the MIlky bottom?.
thanks in advance.  :D

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Re: Gateron Milky Yellow Help.
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 January 2021, 07:16:58 »
Aliexpress has free shipping.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Rico

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 15 January 2021, 15:39:20 »
You are lucky to be in Europe: ordering them from AliExpress will be cheap and shipping can be free, but you have to be patient it will take time to arrive as usually this goes by train.

Offline yqqdrasil

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 January 2021, 19:07:03 »
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=108741.0

People claim theres a difference in both acoustics and feel. According to what I've seen people say, the milky top/black bottom variants feel the best, and that full milky housings are scratchy. Which one sounds the best is of course up to you.

I read some people complaining about issues with full milky housings and binding. No idea what they meant by this, I just skimmed through this topic: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=89788.0

I bought a batch of full milky yellows a while ago from CannonKeys @ $2.30/10, still waiting for them to arrive.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 January 2021, 19:11:48 »
I find full milky to be scratchier for some reason, but lube helps.

Offline huey

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 19:10:14 »
Going to echo what people have said in this thread. I've generally found the milky bottoms to sound worse, and be scratchier in comparison.

The full black opaque housings that they offer(KS-3) are also a good alternative, but they are going to give you a higher-pitched 'top-out' sound. Either are great choices for the price.

I'd also recommend a good break-in period for them too, they benefit from it.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 21:58:10 »
My ks3 gats are smoother than my milk top yellows but this is probably due to batch variance
I like ks3 sound a lot, and I think it is better than the sound of the milk top yellow
This is due to full nylon housing rather than pc/nylon milk mix top
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!