Author Topic: I thought this was ridiculous  (Read 9481 times)

Offline Lanx

I thought this was ridiculous
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 20:51:22 »
I did this book over the past summer
http://www.amazon.com/Write-Now-Complete-Program-Handwriting/dp/0876781180/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1

I think these two ladies are like grandmothers of cursive or something,

i have always had horrible penmanship my whole life, i can barely draw a straight line and it was worsened by 5 years of palm pilot grafitti usage (if anyone knows what i'm talking about they know my T's look like sevens)
that book was good, it's basically like a grade school repetitive write like this, it looks really nice, but my old habits took over again and i write like chicken scratch.

oddly enough the news story that made me regret how horrible my handwriting is, was lindsay lohan
http://www.popeater.com/2010/07/09/lindsay-lohan-notes/
i was simply floored at how beautiful that block lettering was.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 20:57:24 »
Quote from: Lanx;211707
I did this book over the past summer
http://www.amazon.com/Write-Now-Complete-Program-Handwriting/dp/0876781180/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1

oddly enough the news story that made me regret how horrible my handwriting is, was lindsay lohan
http://www.popeater.com/2010/07/09/lindsay-lohan-notes/
i was simply floored at how beautiful that block lettering was.

I have heard about the Write Now book, but have never read it from start to finish. Some people have very good things to say about this book. You did too.

Lohan does have nice printing. What is more impressive is being able to write straight and keep all the lines equidistance from each other.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 20:58:43 »
My writing gets a little crooked when I don't have lined paper, but it isn't too bad.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 21:08:39 »
Quote from: ripster;211554
Stab me in the heart will ya?
Show Image

Nice Space Pen you have there, I found one at school once, but my friend wanted it so bad he stole my car keys until I gave him the pen.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline paardvark

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 21:09:43 »
Ahh man. My handwriting has been related to that of a three year old. I guess its because my generation types so much. The feeling of a pen or pencil is just so wierd and foreign to me.

But then again, I never handwrite my essays and such ever since i built my workstation. Its a shame too, since some of my teachers give extra points for hndwriting it.

Anyway, Patrick is this you by any chance? Because this youtube channel features videos of kbs you own, and it is similarly named.
http://www.youtube.com/user/patrickgetsontube?feature=chclk#p/u/4/hX125XQPpsQ

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 21:13:08 »
Quote from: paardvark;211718

Anyway, Patrick is this you by any chance? Because this youtube channel features videos of kbs you own, and it is similarly named.
http://www.youtube.com/user/patrickgetsontube?feature=chclk#p/u/4/hX125XQPpsQ

Yes, it's me :-) My first ever YouTube video was of my Customizer. I only did that because a friend of mine wanted to know that the Customizer sounded like. I never thought I would get 22,500 hits. Then I did some of my daughter.

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 22:26:31 »
Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement;211717
Nice Space Pen you have there, I found one at school once, but my friend wanted it so bad he stole my car keys until I gave him the pen.
I had a flat black one but I lost it...the finish didn't help me at all when trying to find it

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 22:29:44 »
So what's the fountain pen equivalent of the Model M? Common, cheap, and classic?
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 01:29:17 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;211666
They have letter exchange too :-) Just like the past when teenagers around the world would use IYS (International Youth Services) to find penpals and exchange letters.

yea thats a neat feature on that site. While some intense debates break out now and then, from what I saw on the site letter writers seem to be, on the whole, a pretty staid and social group. Not like us maniacs over here. Something about holding a pen seems to bring out the gentleman in people.  ;)  Whereas  you hold a model M and, well, it feels like a club, doesnt it? :)
I havent hung out there that much though, mostly popped by to ask the hive-mind for information. There's also pretty active yahoo groups for sheaffer and others. They were amazingly helpful while I was trying to put my first snorkel together.

Incidentally, there's a whole subculture of old guys cranking out custom replacement pen parts in their basements.

So what's the fountain pen equivalent of the Model M? Common, cheap, and classic?

thats the kind of question that could spawn 20 pages at the fpn site. ;)

what do you think, patrick?  FP world is a bit different from KB world maybe. So  many models, not sure there is a "go to" standard-setter the way the M is. And usually not cheap! I think there are probably short lists of widely acclaimed favorites though.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 August 2010, 01:57:14 by wellington1869 »

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 01:36:36 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;211712
My writing gets a little crooked when I don't have lined paper, but it isn't too bad.

here's something crazy, lately i've been really enjoying writing on my tablet with the stylus.  Smooth as butter, I'm getting used to the the stylus-on-glass experience pretty quickly. In Onenote you can get ruled pages and my handwriting on my tablet is, sad to say, considerably more legible than on paper.

(partly because if its not, Onenote wont convert it properly to text). But that requirement really forced me to improve my legibility.

Onenote reads cursive pretty well, by the way. And they've really done a good job with the 'inky' experience. You can select a nice 'fat nib', and its pressure sensitive too (thickness varies a bit by stylus pressure). Its a pleasantly thick and inky experience.

No substitute for a quality fountain pen, but I'm actually enjoying tablet-writing.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 August 2010, 01:48:44 by wellington1869 »

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 02:07:59 »
My writing is simply fancy print done in an older english style font. It's actually very distinct, especially my vocabulary.

I prefer print over handwriting; and if it's print that somewhat mimics handwriting, it's even better. Modern handwriting is very strange to me, go back 400 years and you're right on the dime.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline J888www

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 05:19:43 »
Nice pen forum. Stare at the members list and you'll find me staring back. Same same username.

There does not seem to be any modern handwriting, it's all scribbles as the general standard of education have declined to such a degree that the present generation is inept to function in society.
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline J888www

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 05:47:14 »
Nice pen forum. Stare at the members list and you may find a certain monkey staring back. Same same username.

There does not seem to be any modern handwriting, it's mostly scribbles as the general standard of education have declined to such a degree that the present new generation is inept to function in society.

Quote from: JBert;211553
Stop using those damn cheap Bics and use a more tactile fountain pen.

I wonder if there are some heavy collectors out there who......
Some Bic Pens are not cheap. I've been trying to find another one of these Bic after loosing mine on a train, many Years ago. No one would sell even though the sum offered was quite substantial. Am still searching.....NB. the refills are cheap though. You'll be very surprised by the number of collectors with sentiment for Bic, although calligraphers believe biros destroyed penmanship.

........and "yes", you wonder correctly...........

As to Fonts and wotnots, I find no other peer to Ann Finley, the Master (Mistress) of many Scripts.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 August 2010, 06:17:19 by J888www »
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 06:42:42 »
The refills oughta be cheap. It just takes generic Bic ink cartridges. You could take one out of any Bic Round Stic pen and put it right in there.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline vyshane

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 08:35:21 »
Quote from: paardvark;211540
Haha. This thing blew my mind. A whole FORUM dedicated to writing utensils?

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/

I lurk there sometimes. To be honest, I was way way more surprised to come across Geekhack than to discover TFN. One thing about keyboards though - they are less expensive to collect.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 08:45:02 »
Quote from: J888www;211783

Some Bic Pens are not cheap. I've been trying to find another one of these Bic after loosing mine on a train, many Years ago. No one would sell even though the sum offered was quite substantial. Am still searching.....NB. the refills are cheap though. You'll be very surprised by the number of collectors with sentiment for Bic, although calligraphers believe biros destroyed penmanship.

........and "yes", you wonder correctly...........

lol, i would actually like that bic :)

There's a particular version of the bic that writes really thick and smooth, I like it a lot :) It might simply be the 'extra bold' version.
I also like the papermate series whcih is very smooth. As far as cheap ballpoints go :)
Gel pens are great but ink runs out so quickly.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 08:48:16 »
I hate gel pens.  I love mechanical pencils, though.  The Pentel Techniclick was my all-time favorite.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 08:52:43 »
Quote from: itlnstln;211809
I hate gel pens.  I love mechanical pencils, though.  The Pentel Techniclick was my all-time favorite.

back in engineering school I used a mechanical pencil that had an uber-complex (and very cool looking) retract mechanism, that one was my favorite. I'm pretty sure it was a pentel, tho i dont remember the model name. It looked like a medical syringe. You felt like a nasa engineer when you used it.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 08:56:17 »
parker jotters are fairly collectible (apparently they come in something like 50 different (and hard to find) colors around the world).  The nice thing about parker ballpoints is the refill lasts forever (and is available worldwide) and the click mechanism is so solid and reliable. The barrel is too thin for my tastes though.

speaking of M candidates, I'd say in the Ballpoint world, the parker jotter is the M of ballpoints though.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 August 2010, 09:05:44 by wellington1869 »

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 08:59:45 »
Quote from: vyshane;211805
One thing about keyboards though - they are less expensive to collect.

so true.  its kinda funny to think of a single ink pen costing as much or more than the average mechanical keyboard. They're so pricey.

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 09:04:08 »
Quote from: wellington1869;211814
so true.  its kinda funny to think of a single ink pen costing as much or more than the average mechanical keyboard. They're so pricey.

Yep, kinda strange how much pen can cost, on other hand how keyboard can cost less, even with over hundred indivual parts and so on. Also likely pens sell more than most mechanical keyboards...
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline williamjoseph

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 09:05:33 »
i bookmarked it! ya!

Offline Lenny_Nero

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 10:52:18 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;211551
Dude, I'm willing to be there are people here who are proud members of both sites. Someone started a thread a ways back on favorite writing instruments and the participation was rather healthy.

Yep, and just got yet another fountain pan and the ink to go with it, in the post this morning.

So that adds to...

2 Lamy Safari's (M & F), a 2000 and an AL star, the Lamy Safari is a really good place to start.
2 Conway Stewart's a 55 and a 75 with a semi flex nib.
3 Pelikan's 120, 150, 800
3 Watermans, and a pair of Parker 51's, Hero 100 (& another Hero which I think is fake), Osmiroid 65, and 2 vintage Sheaffer things that I use play with new ink, and there must be about 15~20 other vintage ones I have yet to put a name to.

As for the cost I am at the shallow end of the pool, real money can be spent on fountain pens that make good keyboards look like quite a steal.
Filco Zero, Viglen DFK 2020UKF104, DTK SPK-102a, Panasonic Biz 500
Ducky 1087 Chicony KB-5191, G80-1856HQMGB Cherry G80-1000HFD and others
 G80-11908HRMIT, Tipro MID-KM128a, Access AKEOXPB312/2 (20x7), Access AKEOCTI635/1(15x6)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 11:25:28 »
Quote from: Lenny_Nero;211862
the Lamy Safari is a really good place to start.

maybe the lamy safari is the M of fp's.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 11:27:04 »
I imagine somewhere on the FPN site someone posted a thread saying, look guys, a keyboard fetish site! imagine that! ;)

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 11:51:41 »
Quote from: wellington1869;211873
I imagine somewhere on the FPN site someone posted a thread saying, look guys, a keyboard fetish site! imagine that! ;)

If someone is registered there could try to search and post here, too bored to register myself... ;D
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 12:17:16 »
Quote from: Ekaros;211882
If someone is registered there could try to search and post here, too bored to register myself... ;D

i just did... interesting, on the entire FPN forum, there is only a single mention of geekhack! In a lone post by cchan (who is also a member here).

Could it be that keyboarders have more interest in pens than pen-hoarders have in keyboards?
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 August 2010, 12:21:02 by wellington1869 »

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 12:19:38 »
just discovered something interesting about e-ink.

It used to be (onenote 2003) that ink-pages were considerably larger in filesize than text pages. It was an incentive to convert ink to text whenever possible (or suffer excessive backup-set bloat).  Well, in onenote 2010 (just installed it), the e-ink pages are about 1/4 smaller in filesize than text pages. Which is pretty damn incredible.

And means more incentive to just leave ink pages as ink (until such time that you need it as text). THey're fully searchable as ink anyway (in both onenote and evernote).
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 August 2010, 12:22:22 by wellington1869 »

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 12:30:37 »
Quote from: J888www;211783

As to Fonts and wotnots, I find no other peer to Ann Finley, the Master (Mistress) of many Scripts.

I think that person is adding far too many rules.

If EVERYONE followed that exactly, writing would be identical. English was a lot better before an attempted standardized reform came along.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 13:01:24 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;211896
I think that person is adding far too many rules.

If EVERYONE followed that exactly, writing would be identical. English was a lot better before an attempted standardized reform came along.

She's not adding too many rules. For someone who is starting to learn this style, these are guidelines. They tell us how in theory the letters are to be formed. Then as the person progresses, the person will develop his/her own hand. She even said, "My own hand is a combination of joined and unjoined letters--and some letters only appear to be joined!"

Tom Gourdie and Alfred Fairbank said the same thing. As one adds speed to the mix, one will inevitably develop one's own hand.

I would like to add that at some point I thought that there was one "true italic" style. I learned later that there are many variances of the same style.

Note:
I am at work and don't have enough time to respond to some interesting comments. I will definitely do this tonight.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 August 2010, 13:03:05 by patrickgeekhack »

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #80 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 13:09:01 »
Quote from: ripster;211898
In America we encourage diversity.

Notorious B.I.G., Ready To Die

TRANSLATION by Oakland High School Student

As a general rule, I perform deviant sexual acts with women of all kinds, including but not limited to those with limited intellect, nude magazine models, and prostitutes. I particularly enjoy sexual encounters with the latter group as they are generally disappointed in the fact that they only receive penile intercourse and nothing more, unless of course, they douche on a consistent basis. Although I am extremely unattractive, I am able to engage in these types of sexual acts with some regularity. Perhaps my sexuality is somehow related to my fancy and expensive jewelry.

Awes.
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 14:51:00 »
Other than getting some of the lyrics incorrect (understandable since Biggie wasn't much for clear diction) that contributed to some incorrect interpretations, that was pretty funny.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 16:42:41 »
Quote from: wellington1869;211760

thats the kind of question that could spawn 20 pages at the fpn site. ;)

Definitely!

what do you think, patrick?  FP world is a bit different from KB world maybe. So  many models, not sure there is a "go to" standard-setter the way the M is. And usually not cheap! I think there are probably short lists of widely acclaimed favorites though.

The FP world is indeed different from the keyboard world. Like you said, there are so many models to choose from, both vintage and moderns. And, there are many pen shows around the world. I have yet to hear about a keyboard show :-)

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #83 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 16:44:26 »
Quote from: wellington1869;211811
parker jotters are fairly collectible (apparently they come in something like 50 different (and hard to find) colors around the world).  The nice thing about parker ballpoints is the refill lasts forever (and is available worldwide) and the click mechanism is so solid and reliable. The barrel is too thin for my tastes though.

Show Image

speaking of M candidates, I'd say in the Ballpoint world, the parker jotter is the M of ballpoints though.

They are good M candidates. The Jotter is cheap with a simple design, but boy do they do well what they were designed to do. I think it actually is the M of the ball point world. The balance is very very good in my opinion.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 16:45:59 »
Quote from: wellington1869;211872
maybe the lamy safari is the M of fp's.

It's been voted the best fountain pen under $100 a few times if I'm not mistaken. I did not like the medium nib which came with my first Safari. I replaced it with a 1.1 mm nib, and boy was I happy after that. It's so smooth.

Actually, I was so happy with it that I bought a second one equipped with a 1.1 mm nib for me and a third one for my wife.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 16:52:42 »
Quote from: Ekaros;211815
Yep, kinda strange how much pen can cost, on other hand how keyboard can cost less, even with over hundred indivual parts and so on. Also likely pens sell more than most mechanical keyboards...

There's video on YouTube which talked about a Russion millionairess who commissioned a pen from Mont Blanc. The pen was more than $100,000 (can't remember the exact amount). Because she could not decide between two colours, she bought two pens. I cannot see a Topre keyboard getting close to such an amount.

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 17:09:07 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;211973
There's video on YouTube which talked about a Russion millionairess who commissioned a pen from Mont Blanc. The pen was more than $100,000 (can't remember the exact amount). Because she could not decide between two colours, she bought two pens. I cannot see a Topre keyboard getting close to such an amount.

So one of the hi-price is Optimus Maximus, which isn't the writer's tool exactly...
List:
http://thehottestgadgets.com/2008/11/top-10-most-expensive-keyboards-001833

Hmm, I have been thinking about keyboard made "entirely" from metal steel/aluminium likely some sort of mangesium based(like Think Pads) would be good too, hand made ofc...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 18:58:14 »
Quote from: Ekaros;211976
So one of the hi-price is Optimus Maximus, which isn't the writer's tool exactly...
List:
http://thehottestgadgets.com/2008/11/top-10-most-expensive-keyboards-001833

Hmm, I have been thinking about keyboard made "entirely" from metal steel/aluminium likely some sort of mangesium based(like Think Pads) would be good too, hand made ofc...

The pens commissioned by the Russian lady was not really a writer's tool either. It had a lot of diamonds, which would make the pens very heavy to begin with.

Offline williamjoseph

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 21:49:43 »
Quote from: ripster;211898
In America we encourage diversity.

Notorious B.I.G., Ready To Die

TRANSLATION by Oakland High School Student

As a general rule, I perform deviant sexual acts with women of all kinds, including but not limited to those with limited intellect, nude magazine models, and prostitutes. I particularly enjoy sexual encounters with the latter group as they are generally disappointed in the fact that they only receive penile intercourse and nothing more, unless of course, they douche on a consistent basis. Although I am extremely unattractive, I am able to engage in these types of sexual acts with some regularity. Perhaps my sexuality is somehow related to my fancy and expensive jewelry.

i think i'm gonna try trolling this over on the fountain pen forum and see what happens........

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #89 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 21:54:33 »
Quote from: williamjoseph;212048
i think i'm gonna try trolling this over on the fountain pen forum and see what happens........

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." (Matthew 7:12, Matthew 22:39, Luke 6:31)

Why would you want to do this there?
It's a very nice forum where I have not seen any trolling. I admit I have not read every single thread there, but on the ones I've read, I've not seen any trolling.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #90 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 22:42:11 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;212051

It's a very nice forum where I have not seen any trolling. I admit I have not read every single thread there, but on the ones I've read, I've not seen any trolling.

speaking of which, I wonder how FPN is administered. Do they have strict moderators?  I have to imagine that every site, even one as gentlemanly as FPN, must gets its share of hairy bridge-dwelling visitors from time to time. But you're right, I too have not seen trolls at FPN.  I wonder how they managed that.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 08:39:53 »
Quote from: wellington1869;212072
speaking of which, I wonder how FPN is administered. Do they have strict moderators?  I have to imagine that every site, even one as gentlemanly as FPN, must gets its share of hairy bridge-dwelling visitors from time to time. But you're right, I too have not seen trolls at FPN.  I wonder how they managed that.

Just a guess, but, I think it's because of the nature of the pen world. In the keyboard world, eventually, you kind of run out of keyboard to try. Sure, the form factor may be different, but the underlying switches remain the same most of the time: ALPS, Cherry, Buckling Spring, Capacitive and Rubber Domes. In some rare cases, you can have say a fake Cherry or a NEC switch for example.

So, when most of the members have experience these switches, they probably start to look at the posts from a different perspective. In a way, members move from No Knowledge>Some knowledge>Contribute>"Bored"

In the pen world, it seems that the sky is the limit when it comes to pen. Morever, there are so many subforums each for a specific topic. There's always a new ink or a new paper to try. I started in the review subforums, sometimes in the repair subforum. Now, I spent most of my time there on the penmanship subforum.

I feel that some of the members on the FPN are viewed as experts, whose experience commands respect. In the penmanship subforum, Caliken is such a member. And because everyone sticks to the topic (easier to do on such forums), things generally don't get out of hands.

Offline Konrad

« Reply #92 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 09:24:58 »
I've been typing for so long that I don't think I can actually use a pen anymore.

Think of all those many years I wasted in my childhood, practicing the now lost art of writing on paper.  Before I got a PDA, and later, a laptop to jot down those quick little important notes when I'm not around a real keyboard.  Though I might suffer when some holocaust wipes out modern technology, I can at least take comfort in the fact that my wallet no longer fills up with wads of incoherent scribbly messages.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #93 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 09:49:29 »
Quote from: Konrad;212176

Think of all those many years I wasted in my childhood, practicing the now lost art of writing on paper.

I often hear that the art of writing is a lost art. I don't think this is entirely true. This may be true  for some people but not for everyone. For example, many exams are still being handwritten at university level, aren't they? The technology is not there yet to allow people to type their answers in the exam hall. I am a firm believer that writing and presenting my answer well is a sure way of "bribing" whoever is correcting my answers. Having a nice handwriting gives me an edge because of those who don't care about their handwriting.

Speaking of PDA, not everyone owns one. I got a BlackBerry for free and I only use the voice features. The good thing with pen and paper is that they don't fail and they don't need to be charged.

I have yet to hear about someone who is not happy to receive a handwritten note, even if the handwriting is not stellar. Everyone likes receiving a letter but not everyone likes to write them.  

And most of all, what really matters to me is that my wife is happy to receive a note handwrittend on laid paper sealed with burgundy wax accompanied by a rose.  It's impossible to recreate the same effect with a printed sheet, no matter what fancy font is used.

To sum up, writing on paper is far from being a lost art. There are still a lot of places where one has to write on paper and where one cannot use electronic gadgets.
- Filling custom forms on a plane before landing
- Exams
- Quick grocery list
- Filling forms in government offices
- Autographing a book
- Christmas cards, birthday cards, Valentine cards...

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #94 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 11:29:44 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;212168

So, when most of the members have experience these switches, they probably start to look at the posts from a different perspective. In a way, members move from No Knowledge>Some knowledge>Contribute>"Bored"

In the pen world, it seems that the sky is the limit when it comes to pen.

i think you're probably right about that.
The topic of the forum must matter to some degree. For instance, on classical music forums (and i'm guessing these exist), i'd guess there is even less trolling. Just because of the associations of the topic to our wider culture: being gentlemanly, cultured, intelligent, status-concious, etc. Hell they probably even use their real names ;)

And because everyone sticks to the topic (easier to do on such forums), things generally don't get out of hands.

There's probably a lesson in there for us...

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #95 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 11:31:13 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;212186
I often hear that the art of writing is a lost art. I don't think this is entirely true. This may be true  for some people but not for everyone. For example, many exams are still being handwritten at university level, aren't they? The technology is not there yet to allow people to type their answers in the exam hall. I am a firm believer that writing and presenting my answer well is a sure way of "bribing" whoever is correcting my answers. Having a nice handwriting gives me an edge because of those who don't care about their handwriting.

I wonder what this would look like: Imagine a penmanship forum (or subforum), where every post is required to be handwritten and scanned in as jpg. (or, inked on tablet maybe). No typing allowed at all in any post.

Would communication on such a post be improved? Fewer fights breaking out? It'd be interesting to see ;)

With the coming explosion of tablets, this might be closer to reality than we think, if vBulletin and other boards allow for inked entries (and searchable ink, like evernote), why shouldnt people begin using their styluses for these conversations? it might be closer than we think.

Then we'd come full circle.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 August 2010, 11:33:43 by wellington1869 »

Offline Lanx

« Reply #96 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 12:23:30 »
I've had a few older co-workers of my fiance say to us (cuz we're like 30 and the youngest ppl they know) that thier kids stop learning how to write at 5th/6th grade and almost exclusively use laptops.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #97 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 12:36:00 »
Quote from: Lanx;212272
I've had a few older co-workers of my fiance say to us (cuz we're like 30 and the youngest ppl they know) that thier kids stop learning how to write at 5th/6th grade and almost exclusively use laptops.

5th or 6th grade sounds too early to not write anymore.  I think students should hand write papers thru 12th grade. But then thats what I was requried to do so maybe i'm just projecting my experience as a standard.

if you asked me to do long division by hand right now, i'm actually not sure i could do it. I'm not proud of that. (i think calculators are introduced too early too, in schools).

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #98 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 13:16:53 »
Quote from: Lanx;212272

Laptop for every student? BIGGEST waste of money I've ever seen. We all learned perfectly good without them.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #99 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 13:41:03 »
it's not about learning good, it's about keeping current. Look at the older generation (50+) trying to learn how to use the computer cuz the office space has changed from secretary dictation to everyone using a computer themselves.