Author Topic: So what are some other 'buy it once, it lasts a lifetime' type products?  (Read 50126 times)

Offline Ekaros

So what are some other 'buy it once, it lasts a lifetime' type products?
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 15 August 2010, 17:42:26 »
On realy large scale not yet buyable stuff I would say planets, they are quite sturdy stuff, what's on them is slightly different...
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline Pylon

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 15 August 2010, 20:12:10 »
I can counter the "legos last forever" idea. At least with technic, the round cylindrical pieces will often wear down and fail to hold wheels and other things. I have a number of the cross->round converters that are massively worn out. I've also had Legos crack on me.

Offline Parak

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 21 August 2010, 18:11:43 »
Full grain leather bags, like the saddleback kind. They are way too expensive for my tastes though, especially since they make and source their stuff in Mexico. People are catching on and are making similar stuff for less, both domestically and internationally.

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 21 August 2010, 19:08:01 »
Art and other stuff which isn't realy used, ornamental melee weapons and such...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline Parak

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 21 August 2010, 20:41:33 »
Japanese wood carvings, eh? Yeah, I've seen those, but in a less puny format.

Offline ironman31

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 21 August 2010, 21:26:58 »
Mesphisto shoes
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline ironman31

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 21 August 2010, 21:51:41 »
Quote from: ripster;215526
Big Daddy wears Mephisto shoes?

?
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 21 August 2010, 21:52:45 »
That's an incredible carving.

Good Binoculars/Optics - Vortex has an unconditional lifetime warranty, regardless of how many times ownership changes.  But I'm probably going to get some Zen-Ray ED2's instead because they're such an amazing value and compare to binos 2-3x their price.  They also have a lifetime warranty, but I don't now if they are as fanatical about it as Vortex.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 13:30:36 »
Old phones last forever - and they're nearly as much fun to hack as keyboards.

Bakelite kicks ass.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 13:38:01 »
Quote from: ripster;215537
I bought a Leica UltraVid.  Made in Portugal, WTF!

Those are serious binos, but I had no idea there were made in Portugal.  Interesting.

Offline Konrad

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 17:45:24 »
Quote from: ripster
Show Image
Are you sure that thing is a German? Not a sperm whale? Or roadkill?

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 17:49:47 »
For some reason, I have an irresistible desire to drive a tank over that thing and watch it go "pop!"

Offline Konrad

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 18:39:19 »
8 ton 45' long whale + 20 cases of dynamite (only in America, of course).

Wouldn't this have been a less messy method?

Offline xwhatsit

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 19:00:15 »
Good (film) cameras.

I collect Yashica Rangefinders. Just clean the shutter blades with a bit of Ronsonol and they are taking photos just as well as they did 50 years ago. No batteries required.

I'd love a Leica screwmount -- plenty of III's from the 1930s that have been passed down from generation to generation and just keep working. The M series seems good too, not quite as reliable perhaps (early ones have viewfinders that separate and turn black, later ones have electronic trickery).
Beam spring IBM 5251 (7361073/7362149) & IBM 3727 (5641316) | Model F IBM 122-key terminal & IBM PC-AT 84-key | Model M Unicomp 122-key terminal | Cherry MX Blue Leopold Tenkeyless

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 19:16:00 »
Kitchenaid mixers have been mentioned twice.

A few months ago I bought an early 80s Kenwood* a901 (the basic model - no juicers extensions or anything, just the standard mixer components) at a flea market for 30 euros.

That thing will probably last me another 20 years at least. Funny thing about that machine: the dough hook was missing, and I asked the seller about that and got a few bucks off his asking price. But, there's a local Kenwood seller in my town and I could get a new compatible dough hook off them even though that model hasn't been made in decades and the new models have different connectors.

That's what you want in a good appliance: decades of service and parts. Even if it's not cheap (the dough hook alone was almost as expensive as the second hand machine was). Worth it - this thing will knead pasta and pizza dough forever. Just don't stick your fingers in the bowl while it's working.

* Kenwood UK, not the US audio manufacturer.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 August 2010, 19:19:37 by Superfluous Parentheses »
Current collection: HHKB Pro 2 black on black, HHKB Pro 2 white/grey blank, [strike]Dell AT101W[/strike] (sold to SirClickAlot), 1992 Model M, Key Tronic Ergoforce KT 2001, BTC 5100 C. Dead boards: MS Natural Elite, MS Natural 4000.

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 20:40:55 »
Oh EEEUUUUYYYUCK!  At least they 'sploded that one on purpose...  Recently saw a video where  one dead whale en route through downtown thailand or taiwan or someplace sort of just blew up while the truck it was strapped to was stopped at a traffic light. They had found it dead in the water and were taking the carcass someplace to be studied, but apparently the pressure changes within the now unsubmerged beast's body added to the decomposition baking in the sun in midday traffic proved too much for the epidermis to contain and the whale just went "Poof" in a very gross way.  i don't believe anyone was injured though.
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline ThirdLap

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 08 September 2010, 01:22:35 »
Quote from: ironman31;215524
Mesphisto shoes

I found a lightly-used pair of Mephisto Abels at the local thrift store a few weeks ago for $8.  These shoes have ruined me... I had no idea shoes could be this comfortable.  My Eccos don't even come close.

With a few coats of brown polish, they actually look pretty sharp too.

Offline TheSoundofTyping

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 08 September 2010, 09:17:47 »
This series of Dr Martens boots, apparently.

...Even so, they will eventually wear out. When they do, we will repair or replace them. We will go on repairing or replacing them for the rest of your life – guaranteed.

The rest of YOUR life.  Not the product's ;)
"To my loyal butler, You There, for his decades of service, I leave a pittance, to be paid in twenty equal installments of one-twentieth of a pittance each."

Offline zmurf

• Cherry G803000LQC With Latest Generation Trackpoint
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 08 September 2010, 12:45:57 »
Buy once... hold several life times:
http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/lr/defender/

At last! A mechanical keyboard with Trackpoint of my own! Now with Hyper-Scroll! And also Ergo-Clear switches. Ohh... look... custom keys! :D

Offline zmurf

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 08 September 2010, 13:25:47 »
It's produced in Britten... of course you will have to repair it often. It will probably rain through the roof also...

but:
75% of all Land Rover Series I, II, III and Defenders ever produced are still in use...
It will fall apart... but it won't break down. :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 September 2010, 13:28:01 by zmurf »
At last! A mechanical keyboard with Trackpoint of my own! Now with Hyper-Scroll! And also Ergo-Clear switches. Ohh... look... custom keys! :D

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 08 September 2010, 17:05:32 »
Quote from: ripster;220958
Buy Once.

Repair Often.

Show Image

The key phrases in the table being "road tests" and "predicted reliability"

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 08 September 2010, 17:28:08 »
I had a land rover discovery 2 and it was a piece of crap.  Low miles and leaked like a race horse when I put synthetic oil in it.  They wanted $1800 to fix a wheel sensor that was turning an abs light on.  They wanted $45 for crappy run of the mill wiper blades and you can only use their wipers due to a proprietary connector.  So I sold the hunk of crap and will never touch another one.  Ever.  I will pay for quality, not for an unreliable piece of crap.  Go to a dealer, there are more in back for repairs than out front for sale.  No offense if you like rovers but I will never again.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 08 September 2010, 17:38:17 »
I forgot it required premium fuel until I read the Top 10 Reasons Land Rovers Suck

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 08 September 2010, 18:35:09 »
Quote from: didjamatic;221052
I forgot it required premium fuel until I read the Top 10 Reasons Land Rovers Suck

Show Image

Zsmurf was referring to the old Rovers - the Series I, II, III and Defenders are actually well-made. Once they started making Discoveries, their product line seemed to go down the tubes.

EDIT: However, despite their unreliability, they are very capable off-road. I've been in several Discoveries off road and they rocked.

Offline ironman31

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 08 September 2010, 23:29:07 »
Quote from: ThirdLap;220830
I found a lightly-used pair of Mephisto Abels at the local thrift store a few weeks ago for $8.  These shoes have ruined me... I had no idea shoes could be this comfortable.  My Eccos don't even come close.

With a few coats of brown polish, they actually look pretty sharp too.

Funny thing is... I couldn't find a pair that fit me perfectly. I wore the first pair I bought for a week, and they kept giving me blisters. We went smaller, but they were too small. then went wider, but too loose..... I got tired of it and just asked for my money back.

If I'm going to spend 400 dollars on a pair of shoes they better feel like I'm walking on clouds... but, you know, with support.
Keyboards:

Pointing Devices:

Offline zmurf

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 01:44:49 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;221059
Zsmurf was referring to the old Rovers - the Series I, II, III and Defenders are actually well-made. Once they started making Discoveries, their product line seemed to go down the tubes.

The "newer" Defenders are quite reliable when it comes to motor, power train and other parts that is necessary for continuing getting forward.

I have some friends with Defenders from different years and different models. Sure... things fall of and it rains in through the roof. But they always start and no one ever had any severe mechanical issues. And in the applications where they use their vehicles it doesn't really matter if a real view mirror rattle lose as long as the car keep starting and keep moving. The real view mirror is just to screw on again with an ordinary screwdriver. :)

One of the better examples is my fathers UN fitted Defender 130 TD5 from 1999. It have been driven about 30.000km, mostly in the forest and in deep snow, and he have never done anything with it except standard service.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 September 2010, 02:29:01 by zmurf »

Offline Konrad

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 03:35:30 »
Tilley hats.  They last forever.  Washing instructions say "Give 'em hell".

I got one as a gift years ago but never wear it because it looks too Gilligan for my tastes.

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 06:02:08 »
I agree, the little expenrience I have driven with Defenders have gave me out look that they are terrible, also left-hand versions aren't the optimal desing...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline zmurf

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 06:13:47 »
Quote from: Ekaros;221171
I agree, the little expenrience I have driven with Defenders have gave me out look that they are terrible, also left-hand versions aren't the optimal desing...

Yes. But then again. You should't see the Defender as a car for normal riding. Using it to drive to the super market to buy food is just plain stupid. Rather see it as a tool for bringing large amount of stuff to places where it otherwise would be hard to get it without having to worry what will happen to the car.

You wouldn't try to use a your keyboard to hammer down nails. And you wouldn't use your hammer to try to input words on the computer.

Comparing a Defender with a Subaru is equally meaningless.

Offline Konrad

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 06:29:13 »
Quote from: zmurf
You wouldn't try to use a your keyboard to hammer down nails. And you wouldn't use your hammer to try to input words on the computer.
I've heard some interesting things about using Model M's to bash people into bleeding unconsciousness.  I suppose they'd work as hammers in moments of life-saving desperation.

As to the hammer input method ... I've actually done that to an old gateway keyboard that was causing me a lot of grief. :smash:

Offline zmurf

« Reply #80 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 06:44:08 »
@Konrad:
:D

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 07:04:58 »
Defenders were nice, hand built and are very expensive, if you break one in most parts of the world you're screwed and trust me if you really off-road, you will break whatever you drive.  But you are correct in that D's are another league above any Range Rover or Discovery or LR2, LR3, etc.

Quote from: zmurf;221172
Yes. But then again. You should't see the Defender as a car for normal riding. Using it to drive to the super market to buy food is just plain stupid. Rather see it as a tool for bringing large amount of stuff to places where it otherwise would be hard to get it without having to worry what will happen to the car.

Jeeps, Toyotas, even Hummer H1's can do it all just fine.  Though you might have a tough time finding a parking spot for the H1.

Comparing a Defender with a Subaru is equally meaningless.

You're right.  My Subaru is 10x the vehicle our POS Rover ever was.  To compare the 2 would be unfair to the Rover. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I really do like Defenders.  They are some of the best built off road vehicles ever made.  Right from the factory they were setup almost perfectly.

But my choice based on my experience off road and living a few hours away from Moab would be a Jeep or Toyota.  

But a Unimog would sure be fun.

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 07:07:59 »

I have seen Defender fail to get where other vechile have succeeded, but to be fair other one was APC with traction chains...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline zmurf

« Reply #83 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 07:36:29 »
Quote from: didjamatic;221185

Jeeps, Toyotas, even Hummer H1's can do it all just fine.  Though you might have a tough time finding a parking spot for the H1.

Don't get me wrong, I really do like Defenders.  They are some of the best built off road vehicles ever made.  Right from the factory they were setup almost perfectly.

But my choice based on my experience off road and living a few hours away from Moab would be a Jeep or Toyota.  

But a Unimog would sure be fun.

Quote from: Ekaros;221187
I have seen Defender fail to get where other vechile have succeeded, but to be fair other one was APC with traction chains...

I didn't say it was the only one or the best one. But it does its work pretty well straight from the production line. And compared to the H1 it's also affordable (I don't even believe you can buy new H1s any longer).
The defender can also carry up to 1400kg of payload (legally). And since the body is made of aluminium you don't have to worry about rust if you scratch it up against a stone or a tree. The body also already have a lot of dents straight from the production line, so you don't have to worry about getting new ones of them either. ;)

But sure... there is of course other vehicles that will be able to bring more payload and take it further out in the bushes. But most of those cost a lot more then €30000 and most of them I would like to drive even less on ordinary streets then the Defender.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 07:51:52 »
Quote from: didjamatic;221185

Ehh...I dunno about Jeeps. I've been in both a Jeep Grand Cherokee and a Discovery off road (in a sand dune environment). The Jeep seized up with sand in the engine. The Discovery handled it like a champ.

I think the Land Rover is just a different beast when it comes to off-roading. (Although those are the only 2 vehicles I've been off road in).

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 08:37:40 »
For off-road purposes, the Grand Cherokee was to Jeep what WinMe was to Microsoft.

Any vehicle that you let sand get into the engine will do the same thing.  It actually melts and turns into glass.

I've seen Hummer H1's (HumVee) as cheap as $15k US.

As for vehicles making it or not making it, on a track or off road, Skill > Money or equipment.

« Last Edit: Thu, 09 September 2010, 08:43:34 by didjamatic »

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 08:38:11 »
The Grand Cherokee was to Jeep what WinMe was to Microsoft.

But in your case, any vehicle that you let sand get into the engine will do the same thing.

As for vehicles making it or not making it, on a track or off road, Skill > Money or equipment.

Offline zmurf

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 13:49:55 »
Quote from: didjamatic;221198

Not new ones I hope? Talking used car prices is not relevant when comparing. I've seen old Defenders and Series cars being given away for free... that's a whole of a lot cheaper then $15.000. You but if you compare new car prices you probably have to pay somewhere between $80.000 and $120.000 for a H1.

Offline Parabellum

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 14:55:34 »

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #89 on: Fri, 10 September 2010, 00:24:01 »
Quote from: ripster;220958
Buy Once.

Repair Often.

Show Image

Another affirmation for having gone with HONDA!!

While at the moment, I am adding Chad to my AAA membership since I have actually used the greater percentage of tows allowed to rescue HIM and currently am researching how to fix the E36 ignition barrel in the hopes that it doesn't cost 600 to 1000 bucks and weeks to fix.  We've had the "new" bmw less than a few months and already unanticipated problems...  I am beginning to hate BMW.  Personally I think Ze Germans could learn a few things from Ze Japanese in terms of auto manufacture...
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #90 on: Fri, 10 September 2010, 06:42:22 »
Quote from: Voixdelion
Another affirmation for having gone with HONDA!!
While at the moment, I am adding Chad to my AAA membership since I have actually used the greater percentage of tows allowed to rescue HIM and currently am researching how to fix the E36 ignition barrel in the hopes that it doesn't cost 600 to 1000 bucks and weeks to fix.  We've had the "new" bmw less than a few months and already unanticipated problems...  I am beginning to hate BMW.  Personally I think Ze Germans could learn a few things from Ze Japanese in terms of auto manufacture...

Hondas rock. A nice Japanese alternative for BMW is Infiniti - I just got one used and I'm very happy with it.

Offline ThirdLap

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 10 September 2010, 15:03:46 »
Quote from: didjamatic;221198

Show Image

As a long-time Miata enthusiast and four-time owner, I approve of this message.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #92 on: Fri, 10 September 2010, 15:18:15 »
I thought the same thing until I went to a driving school and started autocrossing in the 90's.  I was shocked to see Miatas hang with or beat the fastest cars on the track, and many of them were stock other than race rubber.

Light weight, low center of gravity, 50/50 front/rear weight distribution, rear wheel drive, manual gearbox, disc brakes, excellent suspension design all mean they are very fast.  It's fun to see a guy in a <$5k "girly car" spank a $100k car with 5x it's horsepower on a track.

Offline ThirdLap

« Reply #93 on: Fri, 10 September 2010, 15:35:29 »
Quote from: ripster;221723
Miata.

#3 on the Car Talk Girly Car List.
Meh, only the uniformed feel this way.  The Miata is the quintessential modern equivalent of the pure sports car of yesterday.  Visit a local track on nearly any weekend and find out exactly what I'm talking about.

Early Miatas (NAs, not the NB pictured in the article) are crude and loud, and rarely driven by non-enthusiast women these days.  They've all moved on to Z4s, Boxsters, SUVs and similar cars that do a better job of coddling the driver.  IIRC, the current top brands driven primarily by women include MINI, the New Beetle, Mitsubishi, and Volvo.  Mazda (and the Miata) no longer appear on lists of the cars driven most frequently driven by the fairer sex.

I always find it interesting that it's generally men who drive automatic-equipped front-wheel drive cars (and fail to perform their own maintenance and repairs) that are quickest to label the Miata 'girly'. :biggrin:

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #94 on: Fri, 10 September 2010, 15:38:18 »
Strange, modified pickups aren't on the list.

Offline ThirdLap

« Reply #95 on: Fri, 10 September 2010, 16:13:32 »
Quote from: ripster;221758
F-150 is on the Manly List.  No brainer there.

I suppose that you can't argue that trucks are 'manly', but I've noticed that most truck owners rarely buy them for their intended manly use. For most it seems to be primarily about image. Truck beds are almost always empty, not a single scratch or dent to be found, big shiny chrome rims, and most seem to rarely if ever used for towing.  Kinda negates the whole manly thing, imo.

Now would probably be a good time to admit that in addition to my track Miata, I also own a Ford SUV and a Honda Civic. :wink:

Offline Konrad

« Reply #96 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 02:35:39 »
I think the giveaway is that the real men just buy a big pickup truck for $22K and start filliing it with rocks and mud.  The sissies bump the price up with another $15K in options and always park in the shade.

Let's not even mention all those unmanly men who purchase $80K sports cars then baby and bling their machines while never ever exceeding 55mph.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 September 2010, 02:39:51 by Konrad »

Offline In Stereo!

« Reply #97 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 09:50:43 »
I think it is quite interesting that VWs are regarded as 'chick'. In Europe they are mostly regarded as ugly, yet reliable machines.

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #98 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 10:02:44 »
Quote from: In Stereo!;221979
I think it is quite interesting that VWs are regarded as 'chick'. In Europe they are mostly regarded as ugly, yet reliable machines.

VW, Hmm reliable, not too fancy, I have been thinking of Golf if I ever get a money for a car or some smallish Ford...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Konrad

« Reply #99 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 10:15:40 »
Quote from: In Stereo!
... they are mostly regarded as ugly, yet reliable machines.
Sounds like some other machines I've heard about ...