Author Topic: Does this exist? or How much to make it myself.  (Read 4809 times)

Offline MaltheM

Does this exist? or How much to make it myself.
« on: Sat, 21 August 2010, 18:28:37 »
I am looking for a mechanical keyboard looking something like this:

No numpad, no home key cluster, no function keys, no arrow keys. but with an esc(the one in the picture hasn't got one.

I I'm gonna remap to this layout:

The blocky letters are the functions when combined with Fn

Has to have true n-key rollover and preferably either Cherry MX brown or blue switches.

So does this exist or will I have to make everything 'myself'?
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 August 2010, 18:40:17 by MaltheM »
Mechanical: Leopold FC200R Tenkeyless(Black modded to G-Reds; home),Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless(Brown modded with Black springs; backup).
Crap-boards: Chicony KB-9810(storage), Logitech MX 5500(media center), Zitech/LiteOn SK-2500-2D(storage), Logitech G15 v2(sold).
Mice: MS Intellimouse 1.1(home),Logitech MX 310(backup), Logitech MX Revolution(on-hold), Razer Lachesis(storage), Copperhead(broken).

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 21 August 2010, 18:30:56 »
Topre, a company in Japan, makes keyboards with a similar layout. However, they are very expensive and not mechanical.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 21 August 2010, 19:08:38 »
That's pretty much the HHKB. Doesn't have Cherry switches, has something better though...

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 22 August 2010, 04:14:12 »
Quote from: ripster;215500
... may find wishing you had a key in that empty wasted corner.

Such as?

Offline MaltheM

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 22 August 2010, 05:29:07 »
Quote from: ThirdLap;215553
Anyone have info on these? I'm assuming they are not PC compatible.

Looks like PS/2 though I haven't sen one in a while(a PS/2 connecter that is):embarassed:. I can't really tell the size from that angle but it seems to have a purple handle like most PS/2 kbd connecters.

@ripster
I don't want any arrow keys as they're my main source of bad habits in games and Vi(m).
Also, I considered HHKB Pro 2 but I need my Win keys for when using Win7
Mechanical: Leopold FC200R Tenkeyless(Black modded to G-Reds; home),Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless(Brown modded with Black springs; backup).
Crap-boards: Chicony KB-9810(storage), Logitech MX 5500(media center), Zitech/LiteOn SK-2500-2D(storage), Logitech G15 v2(sold).
Mice: MS Intellimouse 1.1(home),Logitech MX 310(backup), Logitech MX Revolution(on-hold), Razer Lachesis(storage), Copperhead(broken).

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 22 August 2010, 06:02:23 »
The Meta/Command keys on the HHKB double as Windows keys when run under Windows.

Offline vhaarr

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 22 August 2010, 06:13:08 »
If you can afford the HHKB Pro2, get it.
If not, get the GHSS.
Let the Holy Handgrenades rain.
Hammering on an old Happy Hacking Pro 2. Still going strong!

Offline joker

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 22 August 2010, 09:19:39 »
Quote from: ripster;215500

Ichiban is the HHKB Jp version.  The way the god Ameratsu intended for the divine people.
Show Image

Or you could wait for a HHKB 3.  Who knows, they are about due for a refresh.

this looks very good, exists a black/dark version? Are there any information yet about a HHKB 3? ...

Offline MaltheM

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 22 August 2010, 09:29:19 »
Quote from: ch_123;215566
The Meta/Command keys on the HHKB double as Windows keys when run under Windows.

But how will I then access the F# buttons, arrow keys and home cluster under windows

Quote from: vhaarr;215567
If you can afford the HHKB Pro2, get it.
If not, get the GHSS.

As I said earlier the HHKB lacks a set of dedicated Win keys and sadly the GHSS has arrow keys, seperate homecluster, the F# keys, and has weird positions for the '\' and '/' key, the shape of the reurn key is also weird.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 22 August 2010, 09:56:19 »
Quote from: MaltheM;215610
But how will I then access the F# buttons, arrow keys and home cluster under windows

With the seperate FN button.

As I said earlier the HHKB lacks a set of dedicated Win keys

As I said earlier, they do.

Offline joker

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 22 August 2010, 11:44:43 »
Quote from: ch_123;215623

As I said earlier, they do.

is it not possible to map the keys right next to the spacebar (the ones with the diamonds) to a windows key? For what are these keys used normaly?

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 22 August 2010, 11:49:34 »
The diamond (Meta) keys are the ones that are mapped to Win key under Windows.

Offline vhaarr

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 22 August 2010, 16:36:34 »
Quote from: MaltheM;215610
As I said earlier the HHKB lacks a set of dedicated Win keys

I do not have Windows, so I can not confirm what ch_123 said that "The Meta/Command keys on the HHKB double as Windows keys when run under Windows. " earlier in this thread.

But according to Wikipedia, he is correct.

And even if that is not true, you can still remap the keys manually. At least you can in every other operating system, so I assume you can in Windows as well.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see your post there, ch_123! geekhack was down when I tried to post my reply, and when GH was back I did not refresh the thread before posting :P
Let the Holy Handgrenades rain.
Hammering on an old Happy Hacking Pro 2. Still going strong!

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 22 August 2010, 19:17:33 »
I own a HHKB, and I have used it under Windows. The Meta/Command keys send the same scancodes as Windows keys. Press them under Windows, and the start menu appears.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 August 2010, 05:32:57 by ch_123 »

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 22 August 2010, 19:26:32 »
Quote from: MaltheM;215563
Looks like PS/2 though I haven't sen one in a while(a PS/2 connecter that is):embarassed:. I can't really tell the size from that angle but it seems to have a purple handle like most PS/2 kbd connecters.

@ripster
I don't want any arrow keys as they're my main source of bad habits in games and Vi(m).
Also, I considered HHKB Pro 2 but I need my Win keys for when using Win7

No arrow keys, hey? However, it does have a numpad.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline MaltheM

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 23 August 2010, 05:27:11 »
This is how I'd like my bottom row

I also don't like the placement of the Fn key on the hhkb

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 23 August 2010, 05:34:41 »
You can swap the order of Meta and Alt with the keyboard's configuration switches, so that Alt is beside the spacebar instead of Meta. You can also turn the left Meta key into an additional Fn.