Author Topic: Bamboo Mouse?  (Read 44281 times)

Offline geauxflying

Bamboo Mouse?
« on: Thu, 08 July 2021, 23:55:41 »
This bamboo and aluminum seems like it would be cool. Does anyone have any thoughts about the "mousing" features of this mouse? Looks sweet, and seems it would be pretty comfortable.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/950463424/ice-mouse-a-breathable-bamboo-mouse-with-a-natural-touch

Offline jamster

Re: Bamboo Mouse?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 03:38:19 »
Air vents on a mouse seem kind of unnecessary. The bamboo also looks coated, so it's going to feel pretty much the same as a plastic mouse.

Looks kind of cool though.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 05:42:13 »
Bamboo stays surprisingly clean even without coatings but it is coated.
The "vents" are probably more about grip than venting, what would it be venting anyways? Not a terrible idea for the purpose, though I have issues with the "holes" in mice design. Easier for junk, grime and dust to get inside.

I liked the idea of an aluminum mouse up until I got an aluminum keyboard and laptop, it's very cold (until it warms up and then stays that way!) and it blocks wireless signals. While not all aluminum but more than enough to hamper the signal directionally. I think buyers will be shocked how fast they wear through the coating and anodizing, mice take a lot more abuse than a keyboard case. Also, I really prefer at least one extra (usually side) button.

For the price, this is a rather generic white label mouse albeit with some pretty cool looks and not outrageously priced either really for what you get. I love the look of it and it would be fine for office work just be aware you might need to play with where you mount the receiver and don't try gaming with it.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 07:28:53 »
Bamboo is not necessarily eco-friendly. There are bamboo farms in China that are definitely not.
The bamboo needs to be eco-certified for me to give the eco-claim any weight.

I think that the most eco-friendly would be to use a mouse for a long time.
My current mouse is ten years old, with the light Omron microswitches in it having been transplanted from an earlier mouse, having been used continuously for 19 years now.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 08:23:30 »
A handsome but silly little piece of gear. 
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 09:16:49 »
Like the look but w/ out the added side buttons (Mouse 4 & 5) it losing functionality for my needs/use case.  Also notice they neglect to mention weight and the sensor that is being used (also noticed only BT 4.0 and micro usb port).
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 July 2021, 09:20:03 by Darthbaggins »

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 10:54:53 »
I looked around a bit ... Apparently they had already had a Kickstarter for this mouse over a year ago.
And earlier this year they had a failed Kickstarter for the "Ice Mouse 2" which has bamboo on the side.

Offline jamster

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 11:11:24 »

Are talking about mice, or mech keyboards :)

Offline k4jtek

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 11:48:14 »

Are talking about mice, or mech keyboards :)
Mech keyboards are a bit more handsome and a bit less silly imho. (but only a bit)

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Taptalak

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 18:41:25 »
Very pretty, but seem a tad small

Offline geauxflying

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 20:29:35 »
I might just order one and see how it is.  Mice are mostly throw-away quality, this looks like it’s intended to be on one’s desk for a while. There’s virtually no mouse I can buy and expect to use for very long.

I wish there were a high quality mouse, maybe leather covered or something, just something that doesn’t look ratty after a year of use. If anyone has any ideas, let us know. Some of us are using grandpa’s model F keyboard. I would venture a guess that nobody is using grandpa’s mouse.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 22:15:33 »
Bamboo is not necessarily eco-friendly. There are bamboo farms in China that are definitely not.
The bamboo needs to be eco-certified for me to give the eco-claim any weight.
Doesn't help that in most cases they still need an aluminum or plastic subframe under that wood. This mouse is actually odd in that it doesn't do that.

That was one of the critiques when Asus released their bamboo laptop line, it used 60-80% of the plastic and then used bamboo on top of that. Sure it's less plastic but at what cost? Between the glues, bamboo, processing, was it really any better for the environment short or long term? On the other hand, that plastic frame may have helped the laptop structurally making the laptop last longer. It's a double edged sword.

I wish there were a high quality mouse, maybe leather covered or something, just something that doesn’t look ratty after a year of use. If anyone has any ideas, let us know. Some of us are using grandpa’s model F keyboard. I would venture a guess that nobody is using grandpa’s mouse.

Don't expect to ever really see mass produced mice like that.
Good mice are difficult (unlike keyboards) but the real issue is not so much technical but a personal one, mice are highly personal, between hand sizes and holding styles it makes for a bit of a wild west with them. Make the wrong choice and you lose a lot of money on R&D and molds.

There are people who have 3d modeled some popular mice and printed replacement housings (mostly what this mouse was), it wouldn't be too difficult to take that, throw it in cad and modify it to work with aluminum and/or cover it with pretty much anything. Just bear in mind, costs will be quite extreme if you don't have the equipment and skills to do it yourself (probably need a 5 axis). Don't be surprised if you have $1000 (or more) and over a year invested before you get a mouse you're happy with if you have to outsource the milling.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Slywanin

• Abdul Lutfi is my name.
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 30 December 2022, 12:11:42 »
Not suitable. Here where I live, anything wood in constant contact of water or sweat will have mold growing all over.