Author Topic: Are the A4tech Bloody keyboards worth buying?  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Nerif

Are the A4tech Bloody keyboards worth buying?
« on: Mon, 23 August 2021, 10:08:25 »
Hello everyone! Yesterday I was scrolling avito (the same thing as ebay but russian) and I found an interesting thing. Lots of A4tech Bloody optical keyboards are available there for dirt cheap. I am interesting in buying one of these (B720 or B760), because I heard that optical switches are superior to standart mechanical in terms of reliability and keyfeel. What do you think about them? Are they good? Are the Lightstrike 1/1.7 (B720/B760) switches good? I am mostly interested in these two bloody keyboards, because they are among the cheapest optical keyboards available.

I really want to hear your opinion due to the fact that the russian mechanical keyboard community hate this type of switches because of the "mechanical only" snobbery.

thank you in advance.
̷C̷M̷ ̷Q̷F̷ ̷X̷T̷ ̷[̷C̷h̷e̷r̷r̷y̷ ̷M̷X̷ ̷B̷l̷u̷e̷ ̷→̷ ̷C̷h̷e̷r̷r̷y̷ ̷M̷X̷ ̷B̷l̷a̷c̷k̷ ̷H̷y̷p̷e̷r̷g̷l̷i̷d̷e̷]̷
Anne Pro 2 [Gateron CAP Brown → Kailh BOX Dark Yellow]

Re: Are the A4tech Bloody keyboards worth buying?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 06:10:41 »
I think the hate is mostly because the switches they use are almost always "click jacket"type of clicky switches, which a lot doesn't like. It sounds and feel bad compared to the more expensive "click bar" type from kailh. Overall, if you just game and just want to get a feel of mechanical keyboard, go for it. Though I would suggest getting something nicer if you care more about the typing aspect, maybe AKKO is which is a pretty good budget brand.

Offline Nerif

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 07:50:16 »
I think the hate is mostly because the switches they use are almost always "click jacket"type of clicky switches, which a lot doesn't like. It sounds and feel bad compared to the more expensive "click bar" type from kailh. Overall, if you just game and just want to get a feel of mechanical keyboard, go for it. Though I would suggest getting something nicer if you care more about the typing aspect, maybe AKKO is which is a pretty good budget brand.

Interesting... but there are optical switches from Bloody which are linear, so what should I do in this case? I am not really interested in AKKO (or any other "good for it's price") keyboards because they are somewhat boring due to the absence of really interesting features (mediocre MX-like switches, pre-lubed stabs and low quality PBT keycaps (which are made for the people who have illness called "PBT ONLY snobbery")), so, I still don't know what should I do, maybe I'll try these switches in tech shops to decide for myself, should I buy them or not.

P.S. I tried Kailh BOX White switches... Honestly, I like the click jacket over the clickbar :D
̷C̷M̷ ̷Q̷F̷ ̷X̷T̷ ̷[̷C̷h̷e̷r̷r̷y̷ ̷M̷X̷ ̷B̷l̷u̷e̷ ̷→̷ ̷C̷h̷e̷r̷r̷y̷ ̷M̷X̷ ̷B̷l̷a̷c̷k̷ ̷H̷y̷p̷e̷r̷g̷l̷i̷d̷e̷]̷

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 20:56:50 »
If you prefer it then just give it a go! I also used a cheap keyboard (not from bloody tho) for 3 years, and it lasted just as fine! Though, you will be dealing with very rattle-ly stabilizers which is quite annoying to use after you try a high quality one.

Offline Nerif

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 25 August 2021, 00:14:02 »
If you prefer it then just give it a go! I also used a cheap keyboard (not from bloody tho) for 3 years, and it lasted just as fine! Though, you will be dealing with very rattle-ly stabilizers which is quite annoying to use after you try a high quality one.

Wait, I can possibly fix the stabs, because this keyboard is easy to disassemble (due to the contactless-ness of the keyboard) with band-aid mod or just lubing

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 25 August 2021, 03:01:28 »
There are plenty of guides on how to mod the stabs, even without taking them off. It's quite easy and the stuff needed can be obtained pretty cheaply like lube or band aids

Offline Nerif

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 25 August 2021, 06:02:23 »
There are plenty of guides on how to mod the stabs, even without taking them off. It's quite easy and the stuff needed can be obtained pretty cheaply like lube or band aids

that's cool, but I'll better disassemble the keyboard.

the reasons are:
1) I have broken the stabilizer on my IKBC C87 when I was trying to take them off without desoldering (I wanted to mod them with band-aid)
2) You can take off the switches and stabilizers without desoldering on the Bloody B760 keyboard due to its optical-ness

---

By the way, all of that doesn't make sense, because I have read some reviews on this keyboard on one local tech shop website and the first generation lightstrikes are reported to be extremely unreliable, so... I can get why this keyboard secondhand is being sold for dirt cheap. It will be better for me to find a vintage keyboard with nice linear switches (I found a keyboard with white ALPS SKCM, which I can linearize), or with some weird tactile swithces (I also found a keyboard with mitsumi miniature mechanical switches, which I want to try for some strange reason :) ).

---

Thank you for cooperation.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 25 August 2021, 06:17:11 »
In the end I would just desolder the switches and fix the stabs on the iKBC 87C - not really a bad board. I swapped all the switches on my iKBC Poker II and was worth it (swapped in lubed Gat Black Ink v1's).  Fortunately plate mount stabs are inexpensive and Durock makes some good ones that I would personally use.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Nerif

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 25 August 2021, 06:23:31 »
In the end I would just desolder the switches and fix the stabs on the iKBC 87C - not really a bad board. I swapped all the switches on my iKBC Poker II and was worth it (swapped in lubed Gat Black Ink v1's).  Fortunately plate mount stabs are inexpensive and Durock makes some good ones that I would personally use.

I sold that IKBC C87 - that was an extremely dumb decision

---

Your phrase about chicklet rubber domes is ironic in my case, because I wanted to upgrade my Razer Deathstalker a week earlier.