Author Topic: who's going to buy the samsung galaxy tab?  (Read 7491 times)

Offline wellington1869

who's going to buy the samsung galaxy tab?
« on: Thu, 02 September 2010, 21:23:40 »
or the toshiba folio 100?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/larry-magid/samsung-challenge-apple-w_b_703132.html#s133874

Samsung's mini-ipad runs android, can hold it in one hand, half the weight, twice the cameras, and probably has real ports.
Oh, and likely half the cost too.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline Half-Saint

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 05:21:30 »
Not me. Just bought a HTC Touch Diamond 2 phone and I already own a laptop so.. not much use for one of these.
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 06:59:39 »
Quote from: wellington1869;219390
or the toshiba folio 100?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/larry-magid/samsung-challenge-apple-w_b_703132.html#s133874

Show Image

Samsung's mini-ipad runs android, can hold it in one hand, half the weight, twice the cameras, and probably has real ports.
Oh, and likely half the cost too.

I'd rather buy something like an amazon kindle.

I find this more interesting:
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 07:12:20 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;219485
I'd rather buy something like an amazon kindle.

In other words, "The eBook version of the Ipad"?

Good choice :rolleyes:
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 07:16:24 »
Quote from: instantkamera;219489
In other words, "The eBook version of the Ipad"?

Good choice :rolleyes:

I never said anything about an iPad, but OK.

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 07:22:43 »
No, you said exactly what I quoted, it just happens that the Kindle is like an apple product with no apple logo on it. As in, a highly-proprietary, over-marketed, over-priced and under-spec'd piece of ****.

But if you have an iPad, that's clearly your bag. Enjoy.
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 07:58:01 »
Quote from: instantkamera;219495
No, you said exactly what I quoted, it just happens that the Kindle is like an apple product with no apple logo on it. As in, a highly-proprietary, over-marketed, over-priced and under-spec'd piece of ****.

Reread what I wrote, I never said anything about an Apple product (didn't even mention the word "Apple" or "iPad"). Read the thread title.

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 12:54:08 »
It's a shame they aren't going to include OLED, guess samsung for the time being is stuck using IPS panels for it from the looks of it.

http://www.oled-display.net/samsung-galaxy-tab-gets-a-lcd-display

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 12:57:58 »
there are a bunch of these ipad-copies coming out in next few months.

i still cant decide whether i want an ipad-like device at all.  I have a sony ereader (which i love) and i have a palm pre smartphone (which i love). Do i really want to combine them into one device? Do i want apps on my ereader? And lose the lovely e-ink and light weight of the ereader? For now i'd like to keep those functions separate I think.

If I keep the functions separate (one big-size device for reading, one small sized device for apps and phone), then i dont really need the "convergence" of an ipad-like device.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 13:00:23 »
also i'd like to be able to write on the screen (ie, take notes in class for instance). capactive touch devices (as all of these are) arent great for that.  My HP convertible/tablet IS great for that (wacom digitizer on the screen, excellent handwriting recognition in onenote).  So if i wind up with a convergence device i might have to at least wait for win7 mobile, with office apps and stylus.

ipad in other words makes more sense to me as reader/writer,  not so much for its apps. Apps make more sense to me on a phone (apps that you're more likely to use on the go).

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 17:48:46 »
I don't want a tablet. I'll just take my old Gateway2000, which is probably about as powerful, but's got a big monitor and a keyboard and mouse. And Windows!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Lanx

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 20:40:27 »
Quote from: instantkamera;219495

You could possibly say this regarding the kindle dx, but this doesn't hold any merit if your simply talking about the kindle2. The kindle 2 is the most aggressivily priced 6in ereader on the market today, really the only other ereaders in this class are the bn nook (with bn in whatever bankrupcy talks) and the sony 505 old ereader which isn't made and might actually cost more.

if your in the ereader is nothing more than a black and white ipad camp, then there is nothing to say really.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 21:25:33 »
I've used the iPad a several times for a week each time, it's a very, very slick and innovative product for the overpriced, proprietary piece of **** some of you think it is. I'm closer to purchasing a 2nd generation iPad than I care to admit in this crowd.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 21:28:10 »
Quote from: Lanx;219706
You could possibly say this regarding the kindle dx,
actually the dx has the distinct advantage of being a larger device, which makes it more desirable for pdf/manuals. I might actually consider one if they were remotely affordable.

but this doesn't hold any merit if your simply talking about the kindle2. The kindle 2 is the most aggressivily priced 6in ereader on the market today,

Im pretty sure they don't sell the Kindle2 any more, isn't it "Kindle: TNG/graphite/3G" or whatever now?

It supports more formats than it used to, but still the only purpose of buying one is to buy from amazon. I have already made this argument a million times before, but I don't think ebook as a replacement for the paperback is making the best use of the technology. Does it work with overdrive (yes DRM is "proprietary", but support "in addition to" other formats is a selling point for me). YET? I don't think so.

really the only other ereaders in this class are the bn nook (with bn in whatever bankrupcy talks)

Worst reader ever. In it's own class as "Even more useless than the Kobo", perhaps it is the device truly deserving comparison to a closed and **** product like the iWhatever.

and the sony 505 old ereader which isn't made and might actually cost more.

Great reader, too bad the made the 650. the 350 is everything the 505 was in a 5" screen. Highly awesome.

Were I to buy, I would chose the obvious choice (which you left out), the astak EZReader (even the 5" pocket pro). Crazy awesome devices, well priced and a super open platform.

Oh, I do own a 505 by the way. Moral of the story: I wouldn't trade it for a kindle ... ever. (maybe a DX at even trade ... maybe).

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 21:48:10 »
i'm a big fan of e-ink, would still take that anyday over lcd-style screens, and i read enough that i'd like a specialized device for that purpose.

Quote from: input nirvana;219716
I've used the iPad a several times for a week each time, it's a very, very slick and innovative product for the overpriced, proprietary piece of **** some of you think it is. I'm closer to purchasing a 2nd generation iPad than I care to admit in this crowd.

My sister bought an ipad and I got to try it out while i was visiting. I agree with both instantkamera and instantnirvana.  One the one hand, it was slick to use, easy to use, and kind of fun. On the other hand, what instantkamera said.

Personally i have too much against the apple corporation whom i consider to be the purest-evil corporation ever, beating out even MS and others by a mile, to ever seriously buy a lot of apple products. (yea i have an ibook, but really, i no longer use it much, I love my PC's for so many reasons). But I do understand the appeal of the apple world, and hey if thats your thing more power to ya.  I dont think apple will hold on to its monopolies for much longer actually, since everyone and their grandmother has decided to copy them in important ways and undercutting their price to boot.

anyway, i dont think i want a tablet.  So far i'm happy with ereader plus smartphone. If i do get a tablet to replace my ereader, i'll want to take stylus-notes on it and i'll need it to be as light-weight as my ereader too, and so far no one has made such a tablet.

ironically, i can take stylus-notes on my sony reader, by the way. Its a brilliant little reader. Just cant pipe those notes into onenote, thats all.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 21:52:21 »
If you were to buy a tablet, which size do you want? The ipad-size or larger, as pictured on the left? Or the samsung galaxy size (and dell's tablet coming out is about same size)  as pictured on the right?

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 22:34:33 »
Quote from: wellington1869;219726
If you were to buy a tablet, which size do you want? The ipad-size or larger, as pictured on the left? Or the samsung galaxy size (and dell's tablet coming out is about same size)  as pictured on the right?

I would much prefer the smaller one, but I have a Droid incredible so I wouldn't buy it...doesn't make any sense for me.

Offline Mercen_505

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 04 September 2010, 09:17:20 »
The expected price puts the Tab squarely in the "no thanks" category. I like the idea of having an Android-based tablet, but can't even remotely justify the purchase with all the other gadgets with overlapping functionality I have.

Offline chimera15

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 04 September 2010, 14:29:11 »
You can get those fake android ipads for like $100 from China off ebay.  You have to watch out what version of android they run though, and what screen resolution they have.  The best ones have 1080p capability.

The one that interests me though is the windows version of the ipad, but currently it's still as expensive as the ipad, really underpowered and much thicker, and only about half the battery life.  I think the battery life is the main selling point of the ipad, so I'd probably just go for a refurb tm2t if I wasn't already happy with my tx2500z.  The refurbed tm2t's are going for about what the ipad windows and ipad go for on ebay, so I don't get why anyone would want to have those when they can have a powerful system that's a little thicker, unless it's for the battery.  

You can buy an extra battery or batteries really cheap.  tm2t's I believe use the tx1000/tx2500/tx2 batteries, so there are generations of batteries out there, especially for the tx1000 that was a lemon system.

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-1-1024-x-576-MID-IPAD-TABLET-PC-BOASTS-Wi-Fi-/160476240983?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item255d211c57

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ipad-Tablet-PC-basic-Windows-7-/270599624469?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_210&hash=item3f00fe9715

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-TM2T-SU7300-1-3GHZ-4GB-DDR3-12-1-MULTI-TOUCH-TABLET-/390234637291?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item5adbcc03eb

You can also buy a new one from hp from $829 which is what the higher end ipads go for.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&a1=Category&v1=Ultra-Portable&series_name=tm2t_series&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/notebooks/Ultra-Portable/tm2t_series

It's actually pretty funny.  The 64gb ipad sells for $829 too.  Someone must be trying to directly compete. lol

tm2t's also apparently have wacom penabled active digitizers along with a touchscreen, according to reports on tabletpc review so they're just much superior products.

Wow, pretty cool.  They might have gone with a new battery configuration for the tm2t.  They're claiming up to 6 hour batterly life, which is pretty close to the ipad.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 September 2010, 15:03:07 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 04 September 2010, 15:33:41 »
the tm2t looks great (wacom plus multitouch, 4 lbs, etc). I have a tx series core2 at 2.2ghz convertible with wacom digitizer and it IS great, tho a little heavier (about 6 lbs feels like, wish it were lighter).

the tm2t's tho seem a bit slow even with i3's and i5's (1.2ghz only). but form factor is nice.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 04 September 2010, 16:16:12 »
Quote from: wellington1869;219725

Personally i have too much against the apple corporation whom i consider to be the purest-evil corporation ever, beating out even MS and others by a mile, to ever seriously buy a lot of apple products. (yea i have an ibook, but really, i no longer use it much, I love my PC's for so many reasons). But I do understand the appeal of the apple world, and hey if thats your thing more power to ya.  I dont think apple will hold on to its monopolies for much longer actually, since everyone and their grandmother has decided to copy them in important ways and undercutting their price to boot.

Last year of college, I worked for Greenpeace (legal). I was going to help change the world for the better. I worked under a piece of human trash that I could have killed, and no one would have turned me in. It was a horrible experience. Then I was recruited by Thiessen, the ultimate worldwide corporate puke land rape attorney breeding ground. I worked for 4 of the principals and they were wonderful people, great thinkers, and philanthropists. I could not have been happier.

Apple (in the last 4 years) makes some products that work very well for me (couple macs, iphone, some services...). If someone else makes them better, I'll buy those instead, I'm not label-conscience.

I don't care what color the CEO's stool is.

:)
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 04 September 2010, 16:21:04 »

Apple (in the last 4 years) makes some products that work very well for me (couple macs, iphone, some services...). If someone else makes them better, I'll buy those instead, I'm not label-conscience.

well i agree with you in principle, but i disagree with apple's technological philosophy, so i have an 'over-arching' reason to dislike them. (a philosophy of 'dumb it down and control it' which i feel is fundamentally anti-democratic).  I'm sure a lot of perfectly great people work for apple and that a lot of their consumers are perfectly nice people. Nothing against them, its the 'corporate philosophy' that i disagree with.  Its the same reason i might use paper bags instead of plastic at the grocery store, regardless of how nice a guy is offering either to me.

Offline chimera15

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 04 September 2010, 16:44:35 »
Quote from: wellington1869;219923
the tm2t looks great (wacom plus multitouch, 4 lbs, etc). I have a tx series core2 at 2.2ghz convertible with wacom digitizer and it IS great, tho a little heavier (about 6 lbs feels like, wish it were lighter).

the tm2t's tho seem a bit slow even with i3's and i5's (1.2ghz only). but form factor is nice.

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/283561

Geekbench rates the processor at a bit faster than the amd's turion x2 that my tx2500z uses, but is a lot cooler most likely, and definitely less power hungry.  It's like 5 times faster than a ipad processor.

Here's what my tx2500z rated, although I had a bunch of stuff going on it, others rated at around 2500

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/282843

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/154213

mhz doesn't really mean much as far as processor power goes.
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 04 September 2010, 16:45:10 »
Quote from: wellington1869;219936
well i agree with you in principle, but i disagree with apple's technological philosophy, so i have an 'over-arching' reason to dislike them. (a philosophy of 'dumb it down and control it' which i feel is fundamentally anti-democratic).  I'm sure a lot of perfectly great people work for apple and that a lot of their consumers are perfectly nice people. Nothing against them, its the 'corporate philosophy' that i disagree with.  Its the same reason i might use paper bags instead of plastic at the grocery store, regardless of how nice a guy is offering either to me.

But, maybe the market they are reaching out to is not the "knowing how and why my technology works, I just wanna use it" crowd? Just like many other things. I'm a PC guy since "the Beginning" I don't feel gyped at all. I'm thinking you are more concerned about the "control it" aspect? I think the future is all open-source, but not for about 40 years (when a worldwide generation that is educated and adult).

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 05 October 2010, 10:43:18 »
i have to say, having played with a samsung galaxy smartphone last week, if the samsung galaxy tablet is anything like it, it will rock.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 05 October 2010, 21:36:08 »
Quote from: wellington1869;219726

Show Image

If you were to buy a keyboard, which size do you want? The Model M-size, as pictured on the left? Or the Model M size as pictured on the right?
HHKB or model M?
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 October 2010, 23:17:24 by Rajagra »

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 05 October 2010, 22:35:46 »
Not me. My next tablet will probably be the Kno, specifically the single-screen version. (Dual 14" screens makes for too much weight and bulk on the small desks I have to deal with sometimes.)

Why? EMR/active digitizer pen + note-taking software that's looking to rival OneNote, all on an ARM-based Linux deriative that should get battery life closer to all these other media slates (iPad competitors) releasing all of a sudden. Note-taking is already 95% of my Tablet PC usage.

As a bonus, it may be able to cut down costs on those goddamn college/university textbooks.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 05 October 2010, 22:55:09 »
the kno looks pretty interesting. but if you're getting the single screen, why not just get a win7 tablet with onenote? it'll run everything else too.
i'd like a win7 tablet for precisely that reason- total integration with my normal laptop when i read books or write notes.

i'm totally into digital note-taking too, btw. I have an HP tablet and I *love* it.

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 06 October 2010, 07:20:18 »
Well, I already HAVE one. Started with the HP TC1100, but moved to a Gateway E-295C/C-140XL due to the fact that I'd basically be moving from a Pentium M Dothan ULV 1.1 GHz to a Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5 GHz.

Problem is, the E-295C is pretty damned heavy and bulky, with a 17" footprint and a weight exceeding 6.5 lbs., possibly even over 7 lbs. The 14" 1280x768 screen may seem like an improvement over the 10.4" 1024x768 screen of the TC1100, but not when it entails going from BOE Hydis AFFS to cheap TN crap (read: poor viewing angles)...also, for the size, the resolution is lacking, especially height. (I've seen a ton of 12" convertibles with at least 1280x800.)

Also, battery life is lacking at roughly 2:30 on a main 8-cell battery, but it's still significantly better than the TC1100 I had in that regard (wouldn't even reach two hours). Nevertheless, still not enough to the point where I feel like keeping it on AC.

I put up with it anyway because...well, Core 2 Duo T9300. I shouldn't have to worry about software bloat for a while. (But on the other hand, the Mobility Radeon HD 2300...that thing has significantly lowered my opinion of ATI and their drivers alone. It's the biggest bottleneck in this system by far, and I can't do a damn thing about it because there's no MXM slot. It may even be outclassed by the Intel GMA HD on the die of the Nehalem/Westmere chips, and whatever the case, it's clearly weaker than a desktop Radeon 9600 XT.)
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 October 2010, 07:22:23 by NamelessPFG »