Author Topic: [IC] Crokoboard  (Read 2748 times)

Offline alecool

[IC] Crokoboard
« on: Sat, 08 January 2022, 10:29:41 »
Crokoboard
Easy and fast keyboard handwiring

Hello everyone,
Here is an IC for the Crokoboard project. This is a project I have been working on for multiple months with a lot of prototypes to get to this working solution.
Please read the presentation of the project and open the IC form to submit your answers.
It will help me gauge interest in the various parts of the project, the technical solutions to implement as well as adapt distribution to everyone's needs. Don't hesitate to share it with your communities!

IC Form

The Crokoboard project aims to make handwiring a keyboard much easier. Using small IDC (Insulation Displacement connector) terminals that grip on insulated copper wire, one can connect the main PCB holding the MCU with each switch. Doing so requires no specific tools or skills ; especially no soldering.
This solution offers a flexible and fast way to put together the circuitry for a keyboard. The keyboard I've been using for the last 3 month is a split ortholinear 60% that I wired in 1.5h.

The solution is based on several circuit boards :
 - the Crokoboard
 - the monoswitch
 - the encoder

The Crokoboard

The Crokoboard itself is an adaptor PCB that holds your MCU of choice and dispatches its IOs through IDC.
  The MCU is in the Pro Micro format and can be attached without soldering. Other MCUs such as Elite-C or Proton-C can also be used.
  This makes the MCU easy to install, firmly secured on the Crokoboard, and easy to change for upgrade or maintenance.
  The Crokoboard PCB comes with a detachable part that holds a connector footprint for an interconnexion cable between two halves of a split keyboard.
  The RJ45 connector can also be attached without soldering.
  Although RJ45 cables are not the current standard for split keyboard interconnect, they are easy to find, secured to the connector and don't expose the user to potential shorts when dis/connecting a powered keyboard. A question to get your preference on this matter is present in the IC form.

The monoswitch

It attaches to each MX switch using a Kailh hotswap socket.
  Each pin is connected to an IDC, with a diode to avoid ghosting.
  You need as many monoswitch PCBs as you want switches on your keyboard.

The encoder adapter

It attaches to a rotary encoder by pressure.
  It dispatches all its pins (2 for the switch and 3 for the rotation coding) to corresponding IDCs.

Assembly
Using all theses parts, one can wire a full keyboard in a few minutes.
Provided you have the plate at your disposal, the steps involved in building a keyboard with the Crokoboard are :
1. attach the MCU to the Crokoboard PCB using the specifically designed spreader.
2. attach the Crokoboard PCB to the plate. The plate needs holes to receive the Crokoboard but even a non-adapted plate could receive on by using the existing mounting holes.
3. insert all the switches into the plate, as you would for a conventional keyboard.
4. install any stabiliser that is required, either plate-mount or PCB-mount, screwing them to the plate.
5. install the rotary encoder if you want one. The mounting solution inserts into a normal switch hole (14x14mm) and is secured using the thread on the encoder and a pierced keycap.
6. flip the plate over and start wiring. Attaching the copper wire to a connector is as simple pressing it between the teeth of the connector. By following a few simple rules, it's easy to make a clean and stable wiring.
7. Screw the standoffs and the backplate : your keyboard is ready.
8. Program the firmware based on the wiring you prepared.

A video illustrating wiring a line of switches

Left half of my current keyboard
Full imgur Album

Who should be interested?
The ability to handwire a keyboard should appeal to both beginners and tinkerers in the keyboard hobby.
For beginners, being able to wire a keyboard quickly without soldering allows for testing different common layout without having to purchase a whole new keyboard. One can get design files for a lot of keyboard layouts online, order from a laser cutting service and build the circuitry around each plate for a fraction of the cost of ordering a full keyboard for each layout. This gives a way to try out multiple layouts and converge towards your "endgame" much more efficienlty.
For tinkerers who want to create a custom layout, the Crokoboard offers a way to quickly iterate over modifications for fine tuning. Each new iteration can be built around a 3D printed or machined plate. The Crokoboard with its flexible copperwire connectors is also a great solution for non-planar keyboards (dactyl-like) where a single PCB is not possible.

How about the price?
My target for the pricing of the Crokoboard system is simple : as soon as you have built 3 different layouts, the Crokoboard is more price-effective than buying the corresponding number of specialized PCBs. A 65% PCB comes at about $50. I aim for a kit for a 65% Crokoboard build to be priced at around $150. This would include one Crokoboard PCB and 65 monoswitch PCBs.

If you are interested in the project and want it to come to the market, please fill the IC form. There is a field to give your e-mail address in order to get udpates on the project as well. You can also join the discord server : https://discord.gg/ymhpg2Hb9N

If you are a keyboard vendor and are interested in distributing the product, please get in touch with me directly through a PM.

Offline growler

Re: [IC] Crokoboard
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 January 2022, 10:52:52 »
The name confused me, I thought you had combined my two greatest loves - keyboarding and crokinole. Still, quite cool I guess.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Don't just stare at it ...

Offline Gvalch_ca

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 January 2022, 11:44:04 »
Cool idea actually, but it becomes useless when keeping the price in mind.
Five 60-65% PCBs fully assembled from factory cost less than 100$. One crokoboard + 65 croko-amoebas cost 150$. I think it is obvious that designing your own PCB is much better in this case.
Not talking about 3-axis stagger keyboards like Dactyl. For them, this solution seems better than standard atmega + amoebas scheme.
Lead Keyboard Cringeneer.
Alps and Space Invaders enthusiast.

Offline alecool

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 January 2022, 11:59:00 »
True that designing and ordering your PCBs can be cheaper, although only in the context where you know how to design PCBs, want to solder and want to wait for production and shipping before you can build your keyboard.