Author Topic: USB-C to USB-C  (Read 2029 times)

Offline aaaaa

USB-C to USB-C
« on: Tue, 12 April 2022, 09:25:25 »
Could anyone recommend a USB-C to USB-C cable that will work for mechanical keyboards?
I'm using a MacBook Pro (M1, 2020) and a Drop x OLKB Preonic rev3 - so seeking to optimize compatibility with those.

Offline Findecanor

Re: USB-C to USB-C
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 April 2022, 09:34:56 »
Keyboards use only the traditional USB 2.0 data lines in the USB-C cables, so any USB-C data cable should work.
Unfortunately, there are some cables that only support charging.
🍉

Offline Versaknight

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 April 2022, 09:37:02 »
Why not get a USB hub, I have a macbook for work and I find those to be a lifesaver. If not just get amazon's choice one for cheap

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 12 April 2022, 10:21:59 »
USB-C is supposed to be backwards compatible*, but the USB spec is quite loose so companies are free to do what they want really.

And who's the worst manufacturer at being anti-consumer? Apple.
Don't ever count an anything not certified to work on an Apple product to work on an Apple product, even something as common as Type-C to HDMI or a wifi dongle.

As stupid as this sounds...
While a Type C to Type A hub should fix it an alternative is to use a Type C to Type A adapter plugged into a Type A to Type C adapter. This gets you the necessary inline resistors to get a Type C port to wake up. While you can somewhat blame keyboard companies the real villain here is Type C ports and loose industry specs specs.

*This is actually only half true.
The backwards compatibility specifically refers to plugging Type C devices into Type A port, it doesn't really specify plugging Type A or B devices into a Type C port which is more complex (and meant to come a bit later I suspect). Type A and B ports could best be described as dumb ports, give them data and they work. Type C however expects more and so getting them to function takes a bit more than A and B items tend to offer. All it takes is a crappy driver to make them not work (Apple). It doesn't help they rushed Type C to market and left the standard super open to increase adoption, creating a massive mess in the process. It was pitched as simplifying things but it was the exact opposite.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Riverman

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 12 April 2022, 11:48:17 »
So far I haven't run into any issues with USB-C cables on my Mac Mini.  I haven't used a ton of C to C cables, but the ones that have worked are a Logitech one that came with an MX Master 3 Mac edition, the one from a Niz keyboard, several different Cable Matters cables from Amazon, and a Native Union cable.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 12 April 2022, 11:52:34 »
It was pitched as simplifying things but it was the exact opposite.

It simplifies narrowing down the problem when you have to tell anybody a piece of hardware is now a boat anchor without desoldering and replacing the whole jack.  ;D

They must have hidden half of the pins (surface mount) between the shielding and PCB on many type c jack designs on purpose to make damage almost totally irreparable without expensive tools.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 12 April 2022, 17:04:16 »
So far I haven't run into any issues with USB-C cables on my Mac Mini.  I haven't used a ton of C to C cables, but the ones that have worked are a Logitech one that came with an MX Master 3 Mac edition, the one from a Niz keyboard, several different Cable Matters cables from Amazon, and a Native Union cable.

Type A, B and C are just connectors, that's all they are.
USB 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2 are protocols.

Type-C actually breaks compatibility with older devices and uses software to fix it but it's optional to do so, in fact much of the USB spec is actually completely optional to include.

USB has become one of the worst computer standards in recent history.
It's nice not to need 20 different connectors but now you need a manual to make sure what port supports what. At least different ports told you what the port supported.

USB pulled an "Office Space", they "corrected the problem" (of too many ports) by just making all the ports look the same, they didn't actually fix anything.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline aaaaa

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 12 April 2022, 21:35:46 »
My Sandisk SSD came with a USB-C to USB-C cable with a high data transfer rate. But for whatever reason, it's useless with my mechanical keyboard.

On reddit[^1], /u/Durburz_ explains it like so:
> Type-C hosts require a specific resistance (5.1kOhms) between the cc pin and ground to recognize the device as USB 2.0. There are cheaper Type-C for 2.0 connectors which don't have the cc pin and are easier to solder. Many PCB designer cheap out on that.

[^1]: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/fh33m9/comment/fk96xvu/
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 April 2022, 22:47:17 by aaaaa »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 13 April 2022, 10:45:42 »
My Sandisk SSD came with a USB-C to USB-C cable with a high data transfer rate. But for whatever reason, it's useless with my mechanical keyboard.

On reddit[^1], /u/Durburz_ explains it like so:
> Type-C hosts require a specific resistance (5.1kOhms) between the cc pin and ground to recognize the device as USB 2.0. There are cheaper Type-C for 2.0 connectors which don't have the cc pin and are easier to solder. Many PCB designer cheap out on that.

[^1]: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/fh33m9/comment/fk96xvu/
It's not "required", it's optional, just as it's optional to ignore it in software.

Two wrongs don't make a right, they make for a broken standard.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 13 April 2022, 15:09:16 »
I would just track down a C to C 2.0 cable to ensure you wont have issues with the board, if you go to high in the spec the C/Thunderbolt can carry alot of voltage/amperage through it (enough to charge said Macbook) that I would not want to hear about being fed into the keyboard.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline aaaaa

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 14:01:28 »
I would just track down a C to C 2.0 cable to ensure you wont have issues with the board, if you go to high in the spec the C/Thunderbolt can carry alot of voltage/amperage through it (enough to charge said Macbook) that I would not want to hear about being fed into the keyboard.

Thanks, that sounds like exactly what I need. But it's proving to be quite time comsuming to find a cable that's labeled with these specs. It seems like most brands don't make this type of cable (or if they do, then their products are't clearlty labled).

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 15:40:54 »
Search engines are also just not good at at and companies are often riding the hype train so a cable like this is opposite what would be considered a great seller.

They may not even list it in the specs that it is this.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More