Author Topic: [GB] Booper DCX Deep Space  (Read 7106 times)

Offline Hoffman@Drop

• HoffmanMyster @ Drop
  • * Vendor
    • Drop
[GB] Booper DCX Deep Space
« on: Thu, 14 July 2022, 12:50:12 »

Hey everyone!

I'm excited to share our second true Group Buy in the DCX profile, DCX Deep Space designed by Booper! Deep Space has a long history in a variety of profiles, starting way back in 2014 in DSA. A refresh has been long overdue in my opinion, and I'm personally very excited to see this come to fruition.

This is our first designer-led DCX keyset launch, as well as the first DCX set to feature custom novelty keys. Two things that have been missing from the portfolio, and will hopefully help DCX flourish even more. :)

Enough of my blabbering though - please read Booper's own words on the design and inspiration, excerpted below.

As I was coming up with the color combination, I kept a couple of things in mind. I had interest in keycap sets that did not have legends on them at all, as I thought they would force me to stop being a lazy typer! I knew that it would get annoying to actually have a legendless set (since I tried that) so I decided to make the colors for Deep Space high chroma but low contrast. There were plenty of high-contrast sets at the time, so I thought it would be cool to make something that was not super easy to read at a quick glance/in periphery, but still totally legible if you need to look.

Link

Deep Space

Timeline
GB Date: 2022-07-14 - 2022-08-14, Early Bird pricing ends 2022-07-20
Estimated Fulfillment: December 2022

Pricing
KitPrice (USD)
Orion Base99 Early Bird, 119 Preorder
Polaris Base99 Early Bird, 119 Preorder
Novelties49
Space Bars25

Kitting Renders
Orion Base

Polaris Base

Novelties

Space Bars

Additional Renders

Please share any questions or comments in this thread and I'll do my best to address them! :thumb:
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 July 2022, 18:21:04 by Hoffman@Drop »

Offline nevin

Re: [GB] Booper DCX Deep Space
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 July 2022, 13:17:26 »
i know DCX is a your new profile. hoping to see other kitting options in the future, especially an ortho set like you do for MT3.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline of_sam

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 July 2022, 13:18:04 »
weirdge
Typing on: HHKB Pro 2 - Stock :aware:
Collection: F1.69, Police, Jubi, RF 87U, En Dash, Rosenthal, Soulless, Frog, Calliope, GAF 910, Sabre, W1-AT

Offline The0rigina1

• fumoposting
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14 July 2022, 13:47:29 »
F*** alice users amirite?  :blank:

Offline Hoffman@Drop

• HoffmanMyster @ Drop
  • * Vendor
    • Drop
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 14 July 2022, 13:52:36 »
i know DCX is a your new profile. hoping to see other kitting options in the future, especially an ortho set like you do for MT3.

Additional kitting options are in the works! :) We don't have hard timelines yet, but ortho/40s/etc kits are in development. :thumb:

F*** alice users amirite?  :blank:

That's one way to look at it. :) In reality, DCX is a growing platform and Alice 'B' keys are on the near-term roadmap to be added to the kitting options. I wish I had more concrete timing to share, but I can at least say that you are not forgotten.

Offline nevin

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 14 July 2022, 13:57:26 »
thanks for the update.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline whirlwind

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 14 July 2022, 14:44:29 »
Consider making weeb themed keycaps otherwise it's a hard sell

Offline ZavaZ86

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 14 July 2022, 14:49:13 »
Perhaps you should try and catch the t that keeps running away because of the kerning that's used. This is not only exclusive to the t either. Not also to mention the weight that's all over the place for the letters...

Offline sagarsiddhpura

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 14 July 2022, 14:51:48 »
Can I get that yellow enter as a single key?

Offline panka

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 14 July 2022, 15:24:33 »
worst keyset from the worst company, awesome

Offline zekth

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 14 July 2022, 15:25:10 »

Offline ankit

• Formerly ankit-sachdeva
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 14 July 2022, 16:10:44 »
you guys should have just kept gmk wob in stock at $79 instead of doing dcx
collection:
More
  Daal, Emp Mini, HHKB x5, Horsey, Prophet, RS60, Seis Cero, Unikorn, Pixy Mini

Offline Hoffman@Drop

• HoffmanMyster @ Drop
  • * Vendor
    • Drop
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 14 July 2022, 16:22:17 »
Consider making weeb themed keycaps otherwise it's a hard sell

lol, too true :(

Perhaps you should try and catch the t that keeps running away because of the kerning that's used. This is not only exclusive to the t either. Not also to mention the weight that's all over the place for the letters...

:-X  Working on it...

Can I get that yellow enter as a single key?

No single keys available, sorry.

worst keyset from the worst company, awesome

Cool, thank you for the feedback. You're wrong though, this keyset is awesome.  ^-^

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 14 July 2022, 19:09:43 »
great way to re introduce deep space to the community! I will be sitting this one out since I have the GMK version so goodluck with the GB!

Offline totalemon

• good morning :)
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 14 July 2022, 19:45:38 »
every day I pray to god in heaven to smite drop from this wretched earth. but yeah no add a second B this is ridiculous

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 14 July 2022, 20:49:05 »
there are some rightful criticisms of this set but i think all the second b hate is kind of absurd
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline HappyB0T

• I'm a Piggie
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 14 July 2022, 22:24:46 »
This colorway is tough on my eyes. The contrast of colorway especially on the blue + purple keys is tough. There isn't enough contrast to give me the relief I need to read some of these keys. If I squint just a little the legends disappear. Blue and Purple / Yellow Accents are more successful.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 July 2022, 22:32:02 by HappyB0T »

Offline Hoffman@Drop

• HoffmanMyster @ Drop
  • * Vendor
    • Drop
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 15 July 2022, 11:06:41 »
Packaging Update:
All future DCX sets (DCX Dolch pictured below, DCX Camillo, and after - including DCX Deep Space) will ship with updated packaging! Every key has a home and is held in place securely by the form-fitting lid.

great way to re introduce deep space to the community! I will be sitting this one out since I have the GMK version so goodluck with the GB!

Thanks!

every day I pray to god in heaven to smite drop from this wretched earth. but yeah no add a second B this is ridiculous

"It's missing a key, I hope you all lose your jobs"

Yikes dude, you okay?

there are some rightful criticisms of this set but i think all the second b hate is kind of absurd

You know things are weird when Puddsy is the voice of reason. :P Most of the criticisms are kitting-related (growing pains of a new profile, it's taking time to fill out the portfolio of child kits - these are all fair and not being ignored). Are there others that I might not have seen yet?

This colorway is tough on my eyes. The contrast of colorway especially on the blue + purple keys is tough. There isn't enough contrast to give me the relief I need to read some of these keys. If I squint just a little the legends disappear. Blue and Purple / Yellow Accents are more successful.

As stated in the OP, this was a conscious design choice by Booper to make the set appear legendless if you squint. Might not be for everyone though, and that's fair!

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 15 July 2022, 12:40:35 »
Such a cool colorway glad it's back in some form.

Offline TyPo.mk

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 15 July 2022, 14:31:49 »
Everyone is asking for more Bs but imo you should remove B completely. No more B until morale improves

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 15 July 2022, 20:04:42 »

You know things are weird when Puddsy is the voice of reason. :P Most of the criticisms are kitting-related (growing pains of a new profile, it's taking time to fill out the portfolio of child kits - these are all fair and not being ignored). Are there others that I might not have seen yet?

maybe i'm missing them but numpad equals and 3 key 40s support (no matter how much i hate it) would be good adds
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Akele

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 16 July 2022, 05:20:24 »

Additional kitting options are in the works! :) We don't have hard timelines yet, but ortho/40s/etc kits are in development. :thumb:

Hopefully international kits are in development too. People in Europe also use keyboards, so it'd be nice to see ISO support on DCX.

Offline Fraaaan

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 16 July 2022, 05:43:20 »

Hopefully international kits are in development too. People in Europe also use keyboards, so it'd be nice to see ISO support on DCX.

There is ISO support in the base kit, no regional caps but it's still there and good enough for most ISO users.

Also the whole 2nd B thing is a pretty embarrassing oversight. Hopefully someone cares enough to fix it.

Offline Akele

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 16 July 2022, 08:23:25 »

There is ISO support in the base kit, no regional caps but it's still there and good enough for most ISO users.

Also the whole 2nd B thing is a pretty embarrassing oversight. Hopefully someone cares enough to fix it.

Well, I guess I'm not most ISO users then as I'd really like to buy DCX Dolch, but won't until/unless there's a child kit with UK ISO keys available to buy too. In contrast I don't care about the whole extra b thing.

Offline Hoffman@Drop

• HoffmanMyster @ Drop
  • * Vendor
    • Drop
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 19 July 2022, 16:50:35 »

maybe i'm missing them but numpad equals and 3 key 40s support (no matter how much i hate it) would be good adds

Yep, both on our radar. :thumb:

We do have non-regional ISO support, which was selected as it gets most of the way there for everyone while minimizing low-MOQ kits. Regardless, I will pass the feedback along and see if we can get full international kits sooner than later.

* Hoffman@Drop raises hand

We're working on this one too.

Offline Rilow

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 20 July 2022, 03:32:43 »
Sorry to say, but this colorway is horrible.

But good luck. Hoping to see better in the future, then I would be very interested.

Offline Ansenki

• Keybort
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 20 July 2022, 07:50:30 »
Why is there still no extra b? :-[

Offline Skok

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 22 July 2022, 07:44:09 »
i heard it thru the grapevine that the taiga gb thread hasn't been approved after a few days. Can we get an update?

Offline blighty

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 24 July 2022, 13:25:17 »
Why is there still no extra b? :-[

Just buy 2 kits? Problem solved!
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline The0rigina1

• fumoposting
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 04 September 2022, 15:21:32 »
What's more infuriating is not that you didn't include the second B, it is the fact that you included the short spacebars for Alice, but not the second B.  :-\